Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture Inside Derby Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 AM
templeofdank
Tourer
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Moisture Inside Derby Cover

Hello! So I'm still doing some general maintenance on my 02 883 I picked up a month ago. I pulled the derby cover a few weeks ago to check out the fluid, and It was a little tan/brown so I decided to change the fluid out. When I pulled the derby cover the other day to change it, there were some moisture droplets on the inside of the derby cover (insider where the derby cover gasket seats). I drained and replaced the fluid with some brand new stuff. Planning on checking it again after my next few rides to see how it looks.

I'm assuming this isn't normal, I ordered all new gaskets (drain plug, clutch cable, inspection hole, and derby cover gaskets), and will just replace the fluid again. Hoping the new fluid helps to clean out the old nasty fluid.

Any other things I should check out to make sure moisture doesn't keep getting in? Primary case gasket does not appear to have any leaks or weeps coming from it, but should I just go ahead and replace the whole cover gasket while I'm at it?

Thanks! And sorry, but no I didn't remember to take pics of the fluid or built up moisture while I was working on it.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:01 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Probably just normal condensation. That is why it is so important to only start engine if you can ride for at least 20-30 minutes. If not your oil will get milky. Don’t just start it for a few minutes, thats probably the worst thing you can do for your bike. Get her up to operating temperature and purge that moisture!

There’s likely no use replacing gaskets as they’re not the problem.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 04-01-2020 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
templeofdank (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 12:04 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,524 Likes on 6,892 Posts

Ride it an hour or so to get it warmed up sufficiently to cook off any condensation. If you only ride a few miles and shut it off it is not getting hot enough to vent the moisture.

20 min is minimum warm up time and 45-60 minutes is minimum time needed to get the oil warmed up enough for eliminating moisture. Also starting it up and running it a few minutes then shutting it off will contribute to the moisture factor.

The following users liked this post:
templeofdank (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 12:09 PM
templeofdank
Tourer
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Probably just normal condensation. That is why it is so important to only start engine if you can ride for at least 20-30 minutes. If not your oil will get milky. Don’t just start it for a few minutes, thats probably the worst thing you can do for your bike. Get her up to operating temperature and purge that moisture!

There’s likely no use replacing gaskets as they’re not the problem.

John
Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
Ride it an hour or so to get it warmed up sufficiently to cook off any condensation. If you only ride a few miles and shut it off it is not getting hot enough to vent the moisture.

20 min is minimum warm up time and 45-60 minutes is minimum time needed to get the oil warmed up enough for eliminating moisture. Also starting it up and running it a few minutes then shutting it off will contribute to the moisture factor.
Sounds good thanks! I've been going on like 15-30 min rides, I'm guessing the short rides have been what made the moisture build up. It's also been pretty cold on my rides, so the bike hasn't been getting up to proper temp even after 45min cruises.