Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my pipes are too loud...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 AM
evanstock
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think my pipes are too loud...

Maybe I'm just not used to them yet, but damn are they loud, I feel like people can hear me from two towns away now. Not sure how much I like it, worried now that the cops have a reason to pull me over and neighbors a reason to complain.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The LEOs already have a reason to pull you over if you’re riding a Harley anyway, loud pipes or not. As far as the neighbors go, well you can’t please everyone all the time anyway so I don’t even try anymore.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I thought the same thing when I first got mine. When I see a cop coming I get off the throttle a little bit until he goes by. As for the neighbors, if I have to listen to their dogs bark all night some of the time, they can listen to my hog bark some of the time. Seriously though I try to limit my warm-up time on those early morning starts. Don't want to unnessarily make them mad. The thing I like the most is out on the highway. We need all the help we can get alerting the cars and trucks we are there.

Last edited by Jeff's 1st Harley; 04-08-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:57 AM
evanstock
Tourer

@Jeff, you got the rinehart slipons or tru duals? I go the slipons. I also have a 2500hd lol.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by evanstock
Maybe I'm just not used to them yet, but damn are they loud, I feel like people can hear me from two towns away now. Not sure how much I like it, worried now that the cops have a reason to pull me over and neighbors a reason to complain.
I have the same problem with mine. It sounds absolutely great when I open it up and let it sing. But I do not think everybody around me should feel the same way. Furthermore, I do not think I have the right to invade the privacy of other people with my noise. I wish I had some sort of device to turn muffling on when riding "normally".

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM
evanstock
Tourer

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Furthermore, I do not think I have the right to invade the privacy of other people with my noise.
Yea, and there appears to be a lot of hate towards harley owners with loud pipes, at least what I've seen on the net.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evanstock
@Jeff, you got the rinehart slipons or tru duals? I go the slipons. I also have a 2500hd lol.
Evanstock I have the slip-ons too. I'll change my sig to show that. I see you have a 2500hd also. Does it have the diesel or gas? Mine is the diesel, I really like it. It pulls the boat to the lake with practically effortless ease. It is setting in the garage more these days now that I have the bike. Ride safe.

Last edited by Jeff's 1st Harley; 04-08-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 AM
deanp1964
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
I have the same problem with mine. It sounds absolutely great when I open it up and let it sing. But I do not think everybody around me should feel the same way. Furthermore, I do not think I have the right to invade the privacy of other people with my noise. I wish I had some sort of device to turn muffling on when riding "normally".

put the stock mufflers back on then and get on with it.
me? i'll just rumble along, thanks.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

See I like a HD loud. Last season I had SE slip on's with no baffles in them so they were big drag pipes and I loved it-it was to loud I guess, but loved the back idle. Now I have Martin Bros' Two down pipes and they are loud,but not like it was and I'm just now getting use to them. See I try not be disrupt people, but the old guy next door has a little dog that barks non stop at all hours so guess what-I give him a nice rev when i go past. I mean you have do what you like. As far as cops go here in Ohio I have never been pulled over or talked to about my bike being loud and I have got on it a few time around cops.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
dFREDb
Club Member

A vast majority of people don't understand the satisfaction and fascination some of us have with the sound of an engine, whether it be an 18 cylinder radial, Allison V-12, PT-6 Turboprop, or God forbid a Harley. I'm gonna enjoy my loud pipes as long as this is a free country, but will not intentionally rev it or scream through residential areas just cause I think it's cool.

Quick Reply: I think my pipes are too loud...