Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Tension

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found when going from 11.75 to 13" I needed to tighten the belt, but only about 1/8" of a turn on the adjustment bolts. Make sure to mark the bolts with a sharpie so you can make both sides identical, that way you won't throw your alignment out.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:28 PM
cashknute
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i did the opposite year and a half ago when installing burly slammer kit, but you should have had to loosen the belt if increasing your shock size...what did you set your deflection at then Canuck?

Last edited by cashknute; 03-10-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cashknute
yea i did the opposite year and a half ago when installing burly slammer kit, but you should have had to loosen the belt if increasing your shock size...what did you set your deflection at then Canuck?
My manual says 5/16-1/4" so I set it at 2 notches on the debris defector which should be 1/4". I used the HD tool. My bike only has 1000 miles on it so it may have needed adjustment in the first place.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:55 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The factory recommended belt tension is way too tight. Take off the shocks, lift the rear wheel off the ground and the swing arm will be held up by belt tension alone, this is not good. With the shocks off and wheel up, loosen the adjusters equally until the swingarm just drops through its tightest point in the arc of travel. Then put your shocks on, tighten all the nuts and bolts and go ride. Doesn't matter what model, which year or if it is chain or belt this is the correct procedure if you don't wish to overstress your belt, bearings and output shaft. As a bonus you will unload your rear suspension a bit for some extra travel.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 PM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain

Originally Posted by John_K
The factory recommended belt tension is way too tight. Take off the shocks, lift the rear wheel off the ground and the swing arm will be held up by belt tension alone, this is not good. With the shocks off and wheel up, loosen the adjusters equally until the swingarm just drops through its tightest point in the arc of travel. Then put your shocks on, tighten all the nuts and bolts and go ride. Doesn't matter what model, which year or if it is chain or belt this is the correct procedure if you don't wish to overstress your belt, bearings and output shaft. As a bonus you will unload your rear suspension a bit for some extra travel.
I know when I had my shocks off the swingarm dropped right down. It might have been loose as I was just coming up on the first service. I think I might loosen it a bit...it's still in Winter storage I haven't ridden yet. I can do the 1/4 turn twist tho...so maybe it's good.

Last edited by CanuckSporty; 03-10-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty
I know when I had my shocks off the swingarm dropped right down. It might have been loose as I was just coming up on the first service. I think I might loosen it a bit...it's still in Winter storage I haven't ridden yet. I can do the 1/4 turn twist tho...so maybe it's good.
Check your adjuster nuts once in a while also. I've noticed mine, and on others' bikes the rear axle tends to move a bit and become misaligned, as evidenced by a space left between one of the adjuster nuts and swingarm end. The design is a little lame as it allows for this to happen. I first saw this on my buddy's ironhead, which was dog tracking noticeably, then checked mine and had the same problem to a lesser degree. I've since seen it on other sportys. I also know of two people whose adjusters have actually broke, just more proof of poor design.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 PM
cashknute
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John_K
Check your adjuster nuts once in a while also. I've noticed mine, and on others' bikes the rear axle tends to move a bit and become misaligned, as evidenced by a space left between one of the adjuster nuts and swingarm end. The design is a little lame as it allows for this to happen. I first saw this on my buddy's ironhead, which was dog tracking noticeably, then checked mine and had the same problem to a lesser degree. I've since seen it on other sportys. I also know of two people whose adjusters have actually broke, just more proof of poor design.
Yea, John I hear ya...i guess i brought this subject back up cause i have adjusted my belt to what i think is right, and i've re-aligned my rear wheel to what is spot on to me and when i ride i feel a very slight sway in the rear of the bike at times.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:15 PM
John_K
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cashknute
Yea, John I hear ya...i guess i brought this subject back up cause i have adjusted my belt to what i think is right, and i've re-aligned my rear wheel to what is spot on to me and when i ride i feel a very slight sway in the rear of the bike at times.
I'd be doing some close inspectin' ...that doesn't sound right. Check the axle nuts for proper torque, check the adjusters that they're not broken, lift the rear up and see if there is any bearing play in the axle. Check that the sprocket bolts are tight. The swing arm bolts. It would probably be a good idea to loosen the belt right off to check all those.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 AM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on what charley said keep it simple.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

My left side adjuster doesnt do anything. I adjust the belt tension with the right side adjuster, I actually have to tap the left side forward a bit to get the proper alignment. I then torque the axle, then snug the left adjuster nut then recheck the alignment.

Quick Reply: Belt Tension