Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Considering whether or not to wear a full face helmet? There is a lot of different variations from full face to no helmet. Choose the Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) that makes you feel comfortable. Some factors to consider:

Read the full discussion below to find out what forum members are wearing.
          Print Wikipost

Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
          Apaolo
          Novice
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Default Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?

Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
          Doc4545
          Tourer
          Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

Tell who ever said that to kiss your ***. I take turns between a ff Scorpion 700 & Fulmer V2 3/4. I've been riding for over 40 years, first Hd was a '69 XLCH I bought in 1977, later on a I picked up a '64 Duo Glide, currently riding a '06 XL1200R, hope to be on a Fat Bob sooner rather than later. I will continue to wear a ff, don't really care what others think or say.

Of course I may not be real.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
          Artlee
          Outstanding HDF Member
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wear what you want, do what you want and ignore morons.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
          883Persian
          Cruiser

the guy is on crack ...real harley owners dont wear full face helmets lol
          no one really looks at your helmet when your riding....a biker will never care what kinda helmet your wearing ..
          & if you ever asked him about safety he'd probably tell you a full face helmet is the safest

Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
          MechsHands
          Road Captain

Originally Posted by Apaolo
          Sup guys. I recently bought a '10 Iron 883 and have put about 250 miles on this summer. Its my first bike and my first time ever on a motorcycle. I took all my safety classes and got my license so Ive been taking the necessary steps to become a responsible owner. Ive done a few mods, including drag bars, new seat, pegs etc. The bike looks wicked and people can't believe its a harley and I get tons of compliments.

I wear an Icon SSR full face helmet thats flat black to match the bike. Someone told me today "real harley owners dont wear full face helmets". Im new to the whole culture but I understand it. Ive seen guys wearing vanity helmets that are not DOT approved and they do look cool but I dont want to risk my safety. I already feel weird enough driving without my leather jacket, but its been a constant 90 degrees and humid and I just cant do it.

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else? Am I the butt of all jokes when other motorcycle guys drive by?
          Is it YOUR head or theirs that you are covering.

Honestly SCREW what others think etc. If you enjoy riding then ride what you want how YOU want.

IS your bike a real harley? If it is then when you ride with a FF helmet a real harley owner wears a FF helmet simple as that. If you wore a pink tutu when riding and liked it then so be it. Do what you enjoy doing and if people can't or won't accept you that way find new people to hang or ride with.

I personally will not ever ride without a helmet unless its an emergency. Also I will only ride with a 3/4 helmet AT LEAST. Even during the summer I prefer a modular helmet because even though I have a hard head, its not hard enough to take a crash and its my job to be around for my family.

Ride safe.

MH

The following users liked this post:
          spchteach (06-24-2020)
          Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
          HOTLAP
          Seasoned HDF Member
          Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Apaolo

So my question is, do I look douchey riding around with a full face helmet and gloves and nothing else?
          You may look a bit douchey but I'd love to see a chick riding with a full face helmet, gloves and NOTHING ELSE!
          Serously though, I have both and only use the half around town, if I'm leaving the city limits (about 90% of my riding) I prefer the full face and don't give a rats *** what anybody thinks.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:01 PM
          twisty571
          Road Warrior
          Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't ride a Harley unless you look like a pirate,everyone knows that sheesh......

jus kiddin' I wear 1 on those chilly days,fak em',at least your riding & congrat's on the new scoot!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 PM
          blippo
          Tourer
          Default I Ride A Harley

And Wear a full face helmet. I don't care what anyone thinks.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
          chevy94ss
          Road Captain

Wear what you want. I got a full face for cooler/rainy weather and a non DOT 3/4 for warm weather.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM
          kjay58
          Cruiser

Who cares what others think. What ever your comfortable with!!!!

Quick Reply: Real Harley owners dont wear full face helmets?