Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics

Been wanting to do this for years. My boy talked me into it after he got his arm in a cast and cant pull the clutch.I had no idea what I was doing so this is what I came up with.Shorting the clutch cable was easier than I thought it would be.Its not done yet but well on the way.

Attached Thumbnails suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics-shifter-004.jpg   suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics-shifter-005.jpg   suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics-shifter-009.jpg   suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics-shifter-008.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:08 PM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work!
So you are running mids and forwards? Does the clutch lever get in the way of your heel when your feet are on the forwards?

I like the pivot mount mounting on the primary cover.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain

I made the front shaft to mount the the foot lever.Mid controls I have it set up so you run the mids and rock your foot front to work the clutch. Then use the front pegs like highway pegs. It is a bit close when your foots on the front peg but I might trim it down,not sure yet.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude I've been waiting for you to solve the clutch cable shortening for ME. LOL!! I actually just started mine tonight. Gonna take it slow and it'll probably take a few days or maybe till next weekend.... it's still hot as HELL in Houston! Below is a pic. It's rough. Just started and if you remember my post, I'm gonna have my clutch lever ON the shifter. Pleaseeeeeee tell me how to shorten the cable so I don't have to pay a bunch for a new modified one and wait for 2 weeks for it to get here. Looks awesome, BTW!!!!!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain

Looks sweet. Good work.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Dude I've been waiting for you to solve the clutch cable shortening for ME. LOL!! I actually just started mine tonight. Gonna take it slow and it'll probably take a few days or maybe till next weekend.... it's still hot as HELL in Houston! Below is a pic. It's rough. Just started and if you remember my post, I'm gonna have my clutch lever ON the shifter. Pleaseeeeeee tell me how to shorten the cable so I don't have to pay a bunch for a new modified one and wait for 2 weeks for it to get here. Looks awesome, BTW!!!!!
You really don't want to do that. Not only is it harder to ride than a suicide clutch, but the added weight of the clutch will most likely be problematic for you. The shifter mechanism isn't made to support that kind of weight unless you make a bracket such as the OP did.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
You really don't want to do that. Not only is it harder to ride than a suicide clutch, but the added weight of the clutch will most likely be problematic for you. The shifter mechanism isn't made to support that kind of weight unless you make a bracket such as the OP did.
I understand the concern. It's not a lot of weight, though. I saw another guy do the same thing on youtube. I value your insight. What do you think could go wrong?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I also don't think it a good idea, the weight and vibration of the lever going to be more then it was designed to handle , JMO

Old 09-11-2010, 08:43 PM

I've seen that video as well. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know what all it does exactly, but from what I remember hearing from mechanics, even the little extra weight of a clutch lever and cable is too much for the mechanism in the long run. I've heard about bearings and races going out, or some such thing, as well as issues with leaking cases.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain

[quote It's rough. Just started and if you remember my post, I'm gonna have my clutch lever ON the shifter. Pleaseeeeeee tell me how to shorten the cable
[/quote]

It's been done for years. V-Twin(Taiwan)Teddy has a clutch cable just for that type of set up. V-Twin Manufacturing p/n 36-0516(86-up) The pic shows a different model.

Attached Thumbnails suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics-shifter.jpg  

Quick Reply: suicide clutch/jockey shift. w/pics