Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage Title

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:58 PM
jwg In RI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Title

SO I am a bit disappointed to today and its my own fault I would suppose
I was geting my paper work together to go pay the taxes on my 883 to discover I bought a bike with a salvage title ..
I never looked when I was signing the back of the title or asked the guy at the shop where I got the bike

I thought i had gotten a good deal but now wondering if thats true and how much trouble I am going to have when I want to sell next year
how much would this bug you ? would you have bought a bike with a salvage title?

I have riden it apx 300 miles cence I bought it and all seems fine to me
runs great, handles fine you could never guess to look at it it had been wrecked

Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope you don't have too much in it, 'cause you're likely stuck with it unless you are willing to take a loss. Friend of mine is in the same situation & he can't give the bike away. If it runs, rides and handles great, why would you want to sell it next year anyway?....keep it and ride it. From your pic...nice looking bike!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
jwg In RI
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Hope you don't have too much in it, 'cause you're likely stuck with it unless you are willing to take a loss. Friend of mine is in the same situation & he can't give the bike away. If it runs, rides and handles great, why would you want to sell it next year anyway?....keep it and ride it. From your pic...nice looking bike!

I bought this bike as a stepping stone to a nightster that is the bike I really want . But this year I could not afford one , I thought my money would be safly invested in this 883 so I could sell it add savings and be on the nightster say the end of next summer

Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwg In RI
I bought this bike as a stepping stone to a nightster that is the bike I really want . But this year I could not afford one , I thought my money would be safly invested in this 883 so I could sell it add savings and be on the nightster say the end of next summer
Makes sense, hope you can eventually get what you really want. If you bought it cheaply enough, you may recover most of your money, but a salvage title will definately hurt you when trying to sell...just be honest with any potential buyers. The person who sold this to you should have told you up front it was a salvage title.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if the seller has a legal obligation to notify you in writting that the vehicle has a salvaged title.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 PM
jwg In RI
Advanced

i bought is as is for 25 hundred.. it really dose look good
I just got off the phone with the guy I bought it from
he said they put new turn signals , new tire on the front a new fender
im thinking maybe a wheel too ,, he siad the bill was about a 1000
but the insurance would not pay that much for that year bike (2002 )

I dont know ,, he seemed pretty honest when I delt with him hes got a nice shop nice bikes ect. in there

Im going to get the paper work of the damage and the repair bill
to add to my records
I agree he should have been Up front as i will be when I sell it

Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess since you signed over the title then technically you were notified even though he didn't tell you which is pretty shady if you ask me. Sounds like you didn't really overpay too much for the bike though.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

bummer dude, I am assuming he never told you it was dropped or anything right? So you wouldn't know why its salvaged? Yea, its going to be a hard sale with that title. You didn't ask him about the title when you bought it? well obviously not. Not to rub it in, but I got a 2000 xl1200s with 5700 miles for 2800....For the price you paid, you might as well keep it and chop it up, make a crazy bobber out of it and get the nightster.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it doesn't take much damage for the insurance company to declare it totaled since dealer estimates are so inflated. The Insurance company declares it totaled, Pays the owner what they think the bike is worth, then the owner of the bike buys it back from the Ins Co. for pennies on the dollar (Because the insurance company doesn't want it.) Then fixes the bike up good as new. If the shop you bought it from seems like they are decent, then I wouldn't worry about it if it runs good and rides straight. Sounds to me like you got a good deal. Plus, you can upgrade it to a 1200 easily.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Rev. V!
Cruiser

I'd buy that bike for 2500, no problem.
Looks great, and if it runs like you say it does, you got a deal.

Quick Reply: Salvage Title