Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The parts I ordered came in yesterday (short Softail plug wires), so I fabbed up a bracket after trying several different coil orientations.

Today I cut the metal parts and sprayed them with primer. I may make a few mods to the brackets before I'm finished, but for now I'm fairly happy with the results.

I used a piece of 1/8" steel as well as a piece of 10 guage cold rolled steel. I still have to fashion a method of attaching the horn cover and I have to decide on where to attach the choke.

I already lengthened the coil wires by 2" and found that I could use a little more length. I'm going to add an additional 1 - 1 1/2".

The attached photos are of the mock bracket. I'll post pics of the actual bracket soon as I take some...

Attached Thumbnails Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-photo0193.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-photo0195.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-photo0196.jpg  
Old 02-05-2011, 07:28 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Default Progress...

I made two brackets to mount the coil on the left side and cover it with an HD horn cover.

The lower bracket holds the coil in place. It's made of two pieces - a 1/8" bracket and a 10 guage plate. The top bracket is made from the 10 guage.

I made a new set of tank lifts from a couple of 1 1/2" U bolts and put the tank back in place. I then put the coil and cover on.

I wanted to test the electrical operation so I tried to start it. The bike has been disassembled and sitting in the 20 degree temps for several weeks, but it started right up...

I made a quick choke mounting bracket and attached it to the mounting bolt on the rear cylinder. I'll make a more permanent one later.

Not sure if I like the position of the coil...Sits a little higher than the stock horn setup and the petcock is a little difficult (but not impossible) to get to. I chose this position when I had the tank off and I was trying to keep the wires away from the engine.

If I want to lower it, I'd have to fab two new brackets. Guess I'll think about it for a while before I do anything...

Attached Thumbnails Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-cimg3031.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-cimg3040.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-tank-lift-right-side.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-big-sucker-and-tank-lift.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-left-side-coil-relocation2.jpg  

Last edited by gilmour68; 02-05-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

I remade the brackets and got them to fit with the cover. I measured the clearance I had between the top tube and the tank and adjusted the wiring to fit.

The wire wrap is now complete. I'm gonna paint the brackets tonight and put it together over the next few days. The weather is supposed to warm up so hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out soon.

Still have to swap out the polished sliders for the black ones.

Attached Thumbnails Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-ready-for-tape.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-ready-for-tape-2.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-taped-2.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-taped-3.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Default Some outside pics

Finally the weather got warm enough to get the bike outside for a while this Saturday. Snapped a few pics and put on about 40 miles.

Bike ran well, but I'm seeing some fork oil leakage on the fork tubes. I changed out the sliders, fork seals and oil as part of my off season project. Can I expect them to eventually seat or do I have to try replacing them again?

Anyway, here are a few pics....

Attached Thumbnails Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-cimg3097.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-cimg3100.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-cimg3102.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-cimg3098.jpg   Wire tuck / coil and ignition relocation-cimg3096.jpg  

Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Bulldogextreme
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job fella.
Looks good and nice write up

Old 05-02-2011, 09:21 AM
gilmour68
Road Master

Put on about 1k miles so far this season and heard some rattling coming from the coil side. I had already placed some rubber spacers between the horn cover and the coil to prevent them from rattling against each other.

When I removed the assembly, I noticed that one of the brackets had cracked. Upon further disassembly, I found that both of the brackets had cracked due to the vibration they're subjected to.

Back to the drawing board..I'm trying to build a one-piece bracket this time using 1/8" steel.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
Put on about 1k miles so far this season and heard some rattling coming from the coil side. I had already placed some rubber spacers between the horn cover and the coil to prevent them from rattling against each other.

When I removed the assembly, I noticed that one of the brackets had cracked. Upon further disassembly, I found that both of the brackets had cracked due to the vibration they're subjected to.

Back to the drawing board..I'm trying to build a one-piece bracket this time using 1/8" steel.

Hey Gilmour... here is another simple idea I had for the ignition relocation.. cheap.. simple... I already put about 2500 miles on it with no issues whatsoever.. just scroll down on the first post until you see the update on the ignition relocation part:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...n-my-take.html

please let me know what you think!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:32 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Thanks joebotics for the ideas. Unfortunately, my bike is a carbed '04. My coil has horizontal mounting holes and appears to be larger (and heavier) than the coil used on the FI bikes.

When I first began pondering the relocation project, I came up with a vertically mounted version. The problem was that both plug wires were going to come out either the front or rear of the coil and just didn't appeal to me visually.

If I could swap my coil out with one like yours I could easily fab a sturdy enough bracket like you did. Do you know if a FI coil would work on a carbed bike?

On another note, I put together a new bracket (1/8" steel) over the past two days and spent a little time in the shop at work finishing and painting it. I put it together tonight and took it for a quick ride around the block - seems more rigid and less prone to vibration. I still need to pick up some additional hardware, but I think this version might work.

I'll post some pics tomorrow before I mount it permanently. Thanks for your info!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gilmour68
If I could swap my coil out with one like yours I could easily fab a sturdy enough bracket like you did. Do you know if a FI coil would work on a carbed bike?

!
Hey!... uhm... is your Bike's ignition system single fire?.. I have no idea if yours is... I hope other knowledgeable members can help us with this one.. :-)