Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP: Need ideas on how to best repair my damaged iron

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Lilmopho
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking PLEASE HELP: Need ideas on how to best repair my damaged iron

Hey guys (my first post), I have a damaged 2013 Iron 883 that needs repair. I've been browsing the forum for some time now and I feel like you guys could give me ideas as to how to repair my baby.

I'll include some links with pictures of the damage, but overall I think I have a few options:

1) Upgrade to a 4.5 gallon tank.
*Questions*: Will a 4.5 gallon tank fit my seat? Is there a good place to buy a 4.5 gallon tank other thank ebay? Do I have to then paint the tank on my own? How/ where do I then get a Harley Davidson logo to put on there (I would hate to not have the logo)? What does something like this run a disgruntled soul like Lilmopho?

2)Take my bike to a shop and have the tank repaired.
*Questions*: I know I should ask a repair guy, but based on the pictures I've included is my tank even repairable? Would the logo have to be removed when they are repainting the tank (if they have to repaint it)? What do you think it will run ($)/ is it worth it?

Are there any alternatives to the original logo on the tank, I know I saw a picture of a cool one on the internet that I will also post, but where do I find a decal like this/ are there other alternatives?

PLEASE HELP: Need ideas on how to best repair my damaged iron-z2av19f.jpg

3) Buy a 3.3 gal tank off of someone who has upgraded to a 4.5 gal
*Questions*: Im having trouble finding a tank like this online, am I just searching the wrong places or would this be a difficult find?

Here are pictures of the damage:

PLEASE HELP: Need ideas on how to best repair my damaged iron-mfht8em.jpg

PLEASE HELP: Need ideas on how to best repair my damaged iron-2dqyupu.jpg

PLEASE HELP: Need ideas on how to best repair my damaged iron-ofxriho.jpg

Any and all advise would be appreciated guys, thank you in advance!

P.S. does anyone know where I could buy an OEM right side Iron 883 mirror, or at least one that looks OEM?

Old 07-05-2014, 07:12 AM
BlkSheep
Tourer

How did this happen? Dropped a few times?

Old 07-05-2014, 07:31 AM
Lilmopho
Novice

I bought it like that man

Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Lilmopho
Novice

I bought it like that man

Old 07-05-2014, 08:02 AM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello fellow redditor....

I posted on your thread over there....my opinion is that tank is done for. too many smaller dents, and that one on the corner would be impossible to get out.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 AM
hyperhound
Intermediate
Default tank

Originally Posted by gar187er
Hello fellow redditor....

I posted on your thread over there....my opinion is that tank is done for. too many smaller dents, and that one on the corner would be impossible to get out.
I agree. If it is repairable it probably wouldn't be cost effective to do it. I'm no expert in this area, but I've watched enough of those reality car/bike build shows to tell you they would need to strip the tank to bare metal, bang out whatever they could, use skim coat of filler to fix the rest, several iterations of sanding, then primer, base coat, decals and then coats of clear (probably not on denim in this case).
From what I can tell, anything aftermarket is going to come in bare metal, so you have to get it painted.
Getting a nice stock tank might be difficult, but if you are willing to wait something will come upon ebay or the forums. I guess the question is how long are you willing to wait?
Looks like a lot of people on this forum have done tank swaps and repaints. Maybe look through some of the pics and PM owners for advice and cost of the job.

Good luck
-JT

Old 07-05-2014, 09:06 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the band aids works just fine

Seriously, was that a totaled bike?
The damage, in that position of the tank, make me think it got struck, heavily, by the handle bars, which would likely mean other structural issues (especially with the front) might be there.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Lilmopho
Novice

Haha, I'm glad to hear there are other redditors on the forum . HotIceHD, I have no idea as to how it was damaged considering the last owner could have easily lied to me. From further examination it seems you might be correct.

As for buying an aftermarket tank, I'll keep looking and if anyone hears about or has a 3.3 gal tank to sell feel free to pm me

Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Lilmopho
Novice

Also, do any of you guys have some cool custom paint ideas (preferably with pics)?

Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would thoroughly check the front end of the bike (frame, forks, etc...).
eBay is your friend for 3.3 gal Sportster gas tanks.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP: Need ideas on how to best repair my damaged iron