Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-2 Springer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM
toxicstang99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default -2 Springer

Hey everyone, I'm looking to put a Springer on my Sportster. I'd like the stance to be a little lower as well. The Springer I'm looking at is a black Springer with -2 from stock. The Springer is from Demons Cycle, anyone have some experience with them? (Good and/or bad).

Also, has anyone done anything like this or have pictures of someone else who has? You would think it's as easy as just measuring it but it doesn't always look the way you imagine it. I would like it to be nice and even front to back.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

looks like a dna springer. and if i'm not mistaken, you can do a lot better on ebay pricewise

personally i hate dna springers. i think they look cheap and chinese-knock-offish. possibly radioactive like those $3 shovels shipped over from china. the skinny springers i've seen floating around are sharp and, to the best of my knowledge, custom-made by guys like you and me.

just a jerks .02

Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 PM
toxicstang99
Cruiser

yea, I hate cheap looking stuff.

From what I understand though, a custom Springer will run you around 1200. I think for a 1/3 of the price I can go with the DC springer

Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ah jeez dude if you want to save money pull a rice-mill out of a barn-fresh beater and get sawzall-silly.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

if I am correct Slackster installed a DNA springer, and it is not a direct swap.. there was some cutting, grinding and welding involved... the only direct swap he mentioned was Paughco... Very expensive!!! also... I believe he went back to the stock front suspension... since he had issues with trail and handling..

Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Yup, springers can be very problematic unless correctly engineered and installed. Even then, if it isn't made specifically for the frame and rear suspension you have, you'll run into handling problems. On the other hand, when they work correctly, they are an absolute joy to ride...

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Im not mistaken the Demon Cycle springers are DNA knockoffs. Hell they're probably made by the same factory in China. Also search Demon Cycles on this forum and you'll find out their customer absolutely blows. There's nothing but horror stories about them.

As far as the DNA stuff goes it seems alot of the times people write them off as junk due to their low price. Ive read alot of good thing about them and plan to get a DNA for my XS650 if I decide to keep it. Ive read they rattle and make noise but I'd expect they would. Is there a higher quality, higher priced alternative? Sure. But the DNA seems to be a good bang for the buck item.

With that said the only direct bolt on springer for current Sporties is made from Paugcho. A DNA springer will require some frame modification. If Im not mistaken a section of the downtube has to be notched out for clearance purposes. I have Slackster's thread saved on my home computer. I'll post the link when I get home so you can see how involved it is.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

had a bobbr with dna's on it they are ***** the kept lockin sometimes up sometimes down so it was a ridgid back n front..look for hd ones on ebay they work well & have the damper fitted

Old 03-15-2011, 04:37 PM
toxicstang99
Cruiser

wow, now i'm wondering if it will even be worth the trouble. Thinking I may just put a lowering kit in it or just get a different hydro front end.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: -2 Springer