Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coating Chrome Exhaust pipes???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for the kind words Bill

Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM
MaNiaCaL78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a home powder set up. Eastwood gun, used home oven. I havent powdered over any chrome because I thought you had to have bare metal as a starting point for powder. I have a sand blasting cabinet, but won't remove chrome. What I have read has said that the chrome is chemically bonded and must be stripped chemically.

Last edited by MaNiaCaL78; 01-08-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Efing iPad changed my words for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Joe_Brock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Joe (JRK5829) whats the estimated shipping for a D&D fatcat 2-1 to 92124...you already pm'd me the price for the coating...just need a guesstimate on shipping! Thanks pal!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM
883Frankenbike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the heat shields on my 06 883L powder coated satin black a little better than a year ago. It breaks up the chrome look. A buddy of mine put some Rush Slip ons on his Fat Boy Lo. They were factory powder coated flat black. They have a rusty-blueish bleed through goin on at the baffle end of the pipes. Not pretty.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

PM sent Joe

Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by MaNiaCaL78
I have a home powder set up. Eastwood gun, used home oven. I havent powdered over any chrome because I thought you had to have bare metal as a starting point for powder. I have a sand blasting cabinet, but won't remove chrome. What I have read has said that the chrome is chemically bonded and must be stripped chemically.
If the chrome is in good condition and not starting to peel or chip, give it a quick dusting in the blast cabinet at lower pressure. You need to rough it up a little to give it some tooth. Don't go heavy. Just a frosting. You'll see the piece get a frosted glass look. Don't try to break through the chrome layer (which is like .002 thick). If the chrome is peeling/chipping, you can scrape the chips then use a sander to feather the chrome/nickel/copper edges. Don't cure too hot or any longer than neccessary. Too much heat can make the chrome bubble from underneath. Some places won't warranty powder over chrome, some won't warranty it if the piece is starting to chip/peel. I guess there can be issues, but the pieces I've had done have looked great for years. If they start to mess up, I'll strip 'em, sand 'em and coat 'em again.
You can powder coat anything that won't melt during the cure cycle. It doesn't have to be conductive. I've seen a porcelain toilet powder coated.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 AM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update on my exhaust

First off I in no way want to take anything away from the guys at The Powder Pro! They did a great job and their customer service was awesome! I think my problem is just the nature of the beast in my specific case.

That being said I would like to just give an update on my PC'd heat shields. After having gotten a tune a de-catting my header which drastically reduced the heat (see my post above), I'm still getting some discoloration and "graininess" on one of the pieces. It's not nearly as bad as the first time prior to the mods. The S-shaped shield on the rear cylinder just seems to get a little too hot for the PC. In particular at the upper and lower bends. The other pieces are still like new from the powder pro.

From a distance that shield still looks nice and glossy and I people really like the look. But when you get closer you can see it and I think it bothers me more that anyone (I'm just picky that way ). Unfortunately I think its just a matter of time until it starts to flake off in those areas.

Anyway, just so you know what to expect in case you want to go down this road on a 103.

Again, absolutely NO complaints with the Powder Pro! If you ever come up with a PC that has a little higher temperature resistance let me know and I'll give it a shot because as far as I know there is no other better way to getting anything close to looking this good in gloss black for exhaust parts.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

You'll pay more for powder coating the exhaust, but it's stronger & less liable to scratch/flaw than ceramic. JRK5892 does great work, as you can see from his pics & I had him coat my lower forks. Great bunch @ Powder Pro & I'm getting ready to pull some more chrome off my bike & send, when the weather warms.

Now, IRT ceramic coating, it scratches fairly easy & I just made sure to be extra careful w/shield clamps (used painter's tape) and bolts. It will hold-up to heat/temp and cool your exhaust a bit too. Not expensive at all - my entire FLHX header/shields & Rinehart pipes ran $160 (two years ago).

Guess you have to weigh the options (self-paint (VHT), ceramic coat or powder) and see what's affordable, but appealing. Also, don't worry about your stock/chrome exhaust...the only one concerned about the look is you. Trust me, others aren't looking at the pipes and saying they don't fit your scoot. Cheers!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,123 Posts

RB's in my sig pic were done 3 years ago at Jet Hot.They have been off and on more times than I can remember. Not hardly a scratch from the heat shield clamps and front pipe survived falling off of the work bench with just a dent. They get nasty dirty from bugs,road tar and oil and clean up like new with some S-100 when I clean the bike a couple times a year.they are ceramic and cost 200 to get done. Like guys above said it's all in the prep.