Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My $1.50 jockey shift foot clutch build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 AM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not my design, but i wish i would have thought of it. Have to give Walter Rager (ragerbuilt choppers) credit for this one. Maybe i perfected it with the addition of the spring. Lol
Either way, it is awesome! Let us know how the handle works out for you. I can get you dimensions for the cable support bracket if you want/need.
John

Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

good job Erbilabuc... the weight on the shifter rod is always a concern although your design looks light enough.... also... depending on the orientation and weight of your hand shifter (either as a tank or jockey shifter) then it can be an issue when you hit a bump and the shifter rocks up and down, either changing gears unintentionally of pseudo engaging gears... generating that horrible gear grinding sound (and possibly damaging gears).... BTW... I just finished redesigning my foot clutch yesterday... my initial setup was way to simple and the peg used to rattle a lot... causing the cable to break ... although not the same setup as yours (mine is mid control foot clutch setup) I am attaching a couple pictures so you can have an idea of what I did:

Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

good job Erbilabuc... the weight on the shifter rod is always a concern although your design looks light enough.... also... depending on the orientation and weight of your hand shifter (either as a tank or jockey shifter) then it can be an issue when you hit a bump and the shifter rocks up and down, either changing gears unintentionally of pseudo engaging gears... generating that horrible gear grinding sound (and possibly damaging gears).... BTW... I just finished redesigning my foot clutch yesterday... my initial setup was way to simple and the peg used to rattle a lot... causing the cable to break ... although not the same setup as yours (mine is mid control foot clutch setup) I am attaching a couple pictures so you can have an idea of what I did:

Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 PM
erbilabuc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

updated post. Shifter is way too long so I will make it shorter and use a thinner piece of tubing from the same chair. This foot thing is trickky

Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior

haha having fun yet?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 AM
erbilabuc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tripn88
haha having fun yet?
ugh. Its not looking good for the home team. I took the old clutch cable out and all the threads in primary cover stripped for some reason. Now I am thinking I can get away with a locknut on the inside of the primary but I have a buddy team range shoot tomorrow (yep saturday) so it might have to wait til friday. I tried to go about 1 foot in my driveway and stalled it. I couldnt go any farther because the shifter was in my way and I was done for the night. I have been working a little every night on it since last week and right now its just tweaking to get it perfect.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:18 AM
erbilabuc
Cruiser

No way in hell I was going to keep that ridiculous big azz shifter so I looked high and low and went back to the donor chair.

noticed the back rest had a nice bent piece of tubing so I took it off

started drilling it out but eventually took a hammer to it and flattened one end and drill and tapped the other so the 1/2 20 bolt for the pool ball could be screwed in. I need a vice badly.

Finished so fast I had time to do the MReed air cleaner

finished product.

took it for a ride and no problems. Where the clutch cable goes into primary cover is stripped but I wrapped teflon tape on the clutch cable threads and so far no leaks. I will fix it later in the month. It took me all of 1 mile to get the take off and shifting down and I must say its really simple. I used an old "L" bracket from god knows what that I had laying around and hooked up a spring to the foot clutch so it wont go backwards while I ride. Im surprised how easy this was and how cheap I did it for considering the cheapest I saw for a "kit" was 400$ and the shifter was up above the tank. I made this shifter with as much of the stock parts as possible so if I ever decide to go back to hand clutch then it will just be pretty simple.

Last edited by erbilabuc; 09-26-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Wade91
Tourer

Great job!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 PM
erbilabuc
Cruiser

thanks. I plan on doing the 1200 conversion in November when I return from Georgia but definitely need to rejet the carb because its farting out of the intake now so I can only imagine when I do the conversion what its going to be like. All in all I could do the foot clutch in probably 30 minutes now that I know exactly what I need to buy and where I need to cut so if anyone needs help let me know.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Boner1200N
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you give me some instructions on how to make your foot clutch I really like this. If you don't ind me using your idea

Quick Reply: My $1.50 jockey shift foot clutch build