Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amount of oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default amount of oil

I know this could be better posted in the oil threads, but I wanted input from fellow Sportster owners...
Anyway, now that I have learned a LOT about servicing my own bike through this forum and trying stuff myself I feel more confident about doing my own maintenance. I had to replace an o-ring on my clutch cable, so I adjusted my clutch while I had it apart & I also put Mobile 1 V-twin oil in the primary/chaincase to replace the syn 3 that was in it. It shifts so much smoother now & I'm going to change my engine oil to the Mobile V-twin now also.
So, my question is this....my manual says it takes 3.6 quarts, but when I had my dealer do the 10,000 mile service they charged me for just 3 quarts. I've read many threads about people using anywhere from 2.6-3.6 quarts....how much does it really take to have it at the full line when the engine is hot?
2007 1200C

Old 09-28-2011, 10:44 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The 3.6 quarts is only for a factory new dry motor.
An oil change should take about 2.75 quarts.

Most people find it's best to run the oil level about 1/2 way between the Add and Full mark on the dipstick to prevent oil blow-by out of the breathers.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You will find that having refilled the tank and run the bike for a few minutes the oil level may drop a little, as it fills the filter. So top up as cHarley suggests and ride!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 to what charley said.

I try to make sure that when fully hot, the level is between 1/3 and 1/2 way up the stick, definitely no higher than 1/2.

I do not like blow-by from the breather tube.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Para, your're talking hot with the bike upright & not on the jiffy stand correct?
As is it right now (dealer serviced), the oil when the bike is good and hot is right at the top mark with the bike upright.

Another question since I'm talking about oil again...does your Sporty consume any oil at all? Mine seemed to use a little (very little) when I bought it and was running on conventional oil, but since I have changed to syn it doesn't use any at all. Is it normal for even newer HD bikes to use a little or should they never use oil until later in the engine life span?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:36 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Para, your're talking hot with the bike upright & not on the jiffy stand correct?
As is it right now (dealer serviced), the oil when the bike is good and hot is right at the top mark with the bike upright.

Another question since I'm talking about oil again...does your Sporty consume any oil at all? Mine seemed to use a little (very little) when I bought it and was running on conventional oil, but since I have changed to syn it doesn't use any at all. Is it normal for even newer HD bikes to use a little or should they never use oil until later in the engine life span?
Actually in my case the manual says very clearly to check the oil ON the jiffy stand, with the bike hot.

My sporty used a tiny bit of oil during the first 500 miles or so of the break-in, but doesn't use any now.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, I just re-read my OM & it says when checking the oil cold it should be at the bottom mark when leaning on the jiffy stand, and when checking it hot it should be between the marks & if it's at or below the lower mark to add a quart.

So I'm assuming where you want the oil level is with the oil hot, bike on jiffy stand, level about halfway between the marks & this should be about 2 3/4 quarts if changing the oil?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Ok, I just re-read my OM & it says when checking the oil cold it should be at the bottom mark when leaning on the jiffy stand, and when checking it hot it should be between the marks & if it's at or below the lower mark to add a quart.

So I'm assuming where you want the oil level is with the oil hot, bike on jiffy stand, level about halfway between the marks & this should be about 2 3/4 quarts if changing the oil?
Yes to the part in bold.

I add 2.5 qts (counting what I pre-soak into the filter), let it warm up, check it, go for a short ride, then come back and top it off until it hits 1/2 way up the stick (on the jiffy stand).

I usually end up with about 1/4 of a quart left out of the three I start with, which I save for topping off the level over the next few thousand miles (but so far I haven't had to do any topping off post break-in).

Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by simmy711
I never check the oil for accurate level when on the Jiffy stand. I always check it hot with the bike straight-up. When HOT and STRAIGHT, the oil level should read half-way. Why check it on the side stand when you are riding, the bike is straight up. I bet if you checked your oil level when the bike was HOT and upright it would be right at the top of the dipstick and overfilled. Just my $0.02 I learned from a 25 year Harley Mechanic. He said the only bikes you should check on the side stand are bikes that have a swivel dipstick that leans with the bike. Sportys don't have a swivel stick. Makes sense to me. When I check it this way, my bike takes 2.2 qts each change.
Deleted, moved to after your post....something strange just happened....

Old 09-28-2011, 03:38 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by simmy711
I never check the oil for accurate level when on the Jiffy stand. I always check it hot with the bike straight-up. When HOT and STRAIGHT, the oil level should read half-way. Why check it on the side stand when you are riding, the bike is straight up. I bet if you checked your oil level when the bike was HOT and upright it would be right at the top of the dipstick and overfilled. Just my $0.02 I learned from a 25 year Harley Mechanic. He said the only bikes you should check on the side stand are bikes that have a swivel dipstick that leans with the bike. Sportys don't have a swivel stick. Makes sense to me. When I check it this way, my bike takes 2.2 qts each change.
Man this is weird, I replied and it put my reply BEFORE your post...for the sake of sanity I'm moving it here:

Nope, I have checked it UP and on the stand and it reads within millimeters at the same level.

If I had anything like the condition you warned about, I'd have blow-by from the breather tube, which I do not.

Quick Reply: amount of oil