Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Control Extensions for 08 Nightster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Brobocop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward Control Extensions for 08 Nightster?

Hey all,

I just bought a 2008 Nightster and was looking for some forward control extensions...I'm 6'4, and I have VH short shots on the bike.

Anyone out there know where I can get any, or if someone will make them?

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
VirgeB
Tourer

Ebay?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Brobocop
6th Gear

Unfortunately, I checked Ebay to no avail. They had some forward control kits with a built in 2" extender, but I really like my foot controls, and saw some guys on here in posts a couple years back making plates with drillings that worked as extenders.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 AM
ironcrab
Advanced

HD has come out with Reduced Reach Forward Control Kit for Sportster -

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...2&default=none

I was thinking could flip the extensions to go further out. Of course the rods would have to be modified to extend.

Maybe HD will soon offer similar kit going other way.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 AM
IBGary
Road Captain

When you finish can I get you old standard controls?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a hold of TxBandit (Troy) here on the forum and tell him Jackal sent ya if you want. He offers 3+" extensions that have skeletonized brackets and uses cross braces to tie each side together forward of the frame. They include better than factory adjustable linkages and stainless hardware with awesome heim joints.

I had him make me some solid 2" extensions so I wouldn't have to use the cross braces and so they would not stick out in front of the frame. Problem is the lower bolts wouldn't clear the frame so I measured and found that 2.25" was the bare minimum to get the nut to clear the down tube, and even then it JUST touches the frame. Between the flex in the factory mount and the non-cross braced but solid brackets, I decided to further eliminate flex for my aggressive riding and had him make me a 3/4" dia. steel upper brace (bottom wouldn't clear frame) 6.6" long. (probably 1/16" too long) After removing powder from the ends and hand fitting with a fine bastard file, it was a perfect fit and now all flex is in the factory mount and not the extensions. Linkages were PERFECT at their shortest position. I couldn't be happier, but if I had it to do over I would just go 2.5" - 3" use two steel cross braces, and be done with it. Best of all the price was too good to be true and he did ALL the extra work and shipping at no additional cost, even when I insisted. I can't say enough about Troy and his work. Everyone I run into that rides a Sporty with forwards wants to know all about them. If it weren't for these extensions, there's no way I'd EVER be comfortable or happy with my bike and would have to have settled for a heavily modified Street Bob. Best of all, with mids I was CONSTANTLY dragging pegs, jiffy stand, and pipes...since I went to ext. fwds. I haven't had a single issue and can pretty well keep up with my super aggressive buddies on KLR650's in the twisties who try to make me regret buying an HD. (Though straight a ways and horsepower surely helps.)

The additional hardware doesn't weigh much if any more than stock because the linkages are aluminum tubing rather than steel rods. I am 6'2" and my riding boots have a huge probably 2" total sole and these are perfect when I ride with a Badlander, but could use another 1" with the stock solo seat...unless I am wearing shoes or something other than my typical pair of boots.

You can see them in all 4 of these shots, but all were taken before adding the cross brace.

Last edited by Jackal; 03-07-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Brobocop
6th Gear

Thanks so much, Jackal. This post helps a lot...I will contact him and see what he can do. How tough is the install? I'm new to the self mechanic hobby, but I have a friend who is very proficient. Do I need cable extenders or anything?

I think I'll end up getting the 3" set since I'm a couple inches taller than you and it sounds like less hassle...What kind of air filter is that on your Nighty? I have the VH exhaust and the SE stage 1 kit, could I still slap that filter on or would i need to make tuner adjustments etc?

Gary, I can fish around in the box with my old parts for them...Would you be willing to pay?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 PM
IBGary
Road Captain

If the price is right. I moved my controls forward but I'm thinking of going back to mid mount, but I'm missing some parts.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM
IBGary
Road Captain

I'm missing the shifter, and the break linkage. How much for those?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a Figure Machine XLFLOW-5 with 5" K&N. They have LOTS to choose from if you haven't checked already. What "Stage-1 Kit" do you have? Dealer flash? What is your current intake?

Quick Reply: Forward Control Extensions for 08 Nightster?