Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get a kick out of stealer quotes

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Get a kick out of stealer quotes

Called the dealer and asked how much to change R&R front and rear tire at $55.00 and hour labor which from what i've read isn't as high as city Harley dealers. As a former ASE certified auto tech, back in the early 90s we charged 40 or so bucks an hour. Now most auto shops are 70+ bucks.

$110.00 labor to me isn't an outlandish amount of money but a proficient mechanic could have the front off, replaced and on in under 15 minutes * I don't have the capability at home. Rear would take a bit long since you have to get the belt and all adjusted right. I was asked how many miles i had and i said just over 9k... Of course they offered a 10k check that according them takes 2.5 hours and 60 bucks in materials. thats about $175 bucks for labor and $60 for whatever parts they consume roughly $240.00 + tire change fee $110 with me providing tires. $340.00.

I have the manual and there are no R&R requirements at 10k miles haha.. Just inspections. I take my Jeep in to Chrysler for an oil change. They say my brakes are nearing needing replaced for only $450.00 to turn rotars and replace pads. I can buy 4 new rotors at Autozone for under $100 and high quality pads for 4 wheels for under 100. Thats half the price they sell you. As a mechanic we never to my knowledge ever charged over $250.00 for a brake change that included us turning their rotor's if need.

The most fun part is asking Service managers why and letting them know your a former ASE mech lol.. My sportster technologically is about as high tech as a modern lawn tractor which is why i love it. I figure i'll fork out the $110 next season for tires but they can KMA if they think i'm gonna pay 2.5 hours for a 10k inspection. #rambling.. Party in the Corn this weekend. www.rallyinthecorn.com

Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a former Auto/Diesel mechanic, I never understood how people could afford to take their cars to the dealer for every little problem. I've always done my own work and couldn't fathom having to pay a dealer to work on my truck.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM
RAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya. I get my rotors turned at the local O'reilly's for $10 a disc. If I buy expensive pads, change the fluid and buy a couple nickle and dime items I can still easily do both axles for less than $120. Takes about three hours including running the rotors to O'reilly's and picking them back up. I am not in a hurry when I do it, just listening to the radio and drinking coffee as I go. Gotta wonder where they get the times for the rate book....they bring Forrest Gump in and let him sort it out or what?

Last edited by RAL; 06-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Ironman 883
Cruiser

I'llprobably be the only one to say this, but hey man you get what you pay for. If you can do it yourself go for it, you should! But if you go to a business expect to get charged for the fact it is a business. They aren't out to do you favors man. They have over head, employees to pay,lights to keep on, stuff like that you probably don't care about. If the mechanic can charge you for a hour and do it in fifteen, that just makes him proficient.

I can tell you surey old man, times are changed. I've worked with some oldd head mechanics that barely earned themselves minimum wage wrenching. Never understood why they never understood the concept that if your skilled at something you should at least earn your take of it. Then the dealer gets theres and so forth. All the backyard taught mechanics are weening off now there are specialized technicians. Yeah you know enough to get your ASE, thats not hard. Understanding what you are doing to be the guy that can take a 2 hour job and turn it in 45 min, thats money.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 PM
NFG48
Intermediate

What Ironman883 said... I am an apprentice automotive service technician at my local Jaguar/Land Rover dealership. Front and rear brakes run about a grand in parts, and the labor rate is 3 hours for the R&R of the brake components and .6 to adjust the park brake. I can pound out front and rear brakes in an hour plus 20 mins to adjust the park brake, only cause you have to hook it up to IDS. Our shop rate is around 150ish too... That being said, these people are buying a luxury product, so they pay a luxury price for the service, and it is damn good service.

Honestly I can not believe they only charge 50 bones an hour, they must be paying peanuts for J-man wage. Wage of a J-man where I work is 30 an hour, and up to 39 depending what certification you are(bronze, silver, gold). As a 3rd year I get 25.6 and thats on an hourly basis. Kinda glad I live in Alberta...

Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM
RAL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ironman 883
I'llprobably be the only one to say this, but hey man you get what you pay for. If you can do it yourself go for it, you should! But if you go to a business expect to get charged for the fact it is a business. They aren't out to do you favors man. They have over head, employees to pay,lights to keep on, stuff like that you probably don't care about. If the mechanic can charge you for a hour and do it in fifteen, that just makes him proficient.

I can tell you surey old man, times are changed. I've worked with some oldd head mechanics that barely earned themselves minimum wage wrenching. Never understood why they never understood the concept that if your skilled at something you should at least earn your take of it. Then the dealer gets theres and so forth. All the backyard taught mechanics are weening off now there are specialized technicians. Yeah you know enough to get your ASE, thats not hard. Understanding what you are doing to be the guy that can take a 2 hour job and turn it in 45 min, thats money.
An honest competent mechanic is a treasure. Unfortunatly a not too common commodity. Last time I took a car to the dealership and let them do there thing they ran up over a thousand bucks on BS fluid changes and what not BS. I told them that I did not want to spend over $1000 on the ol girl just wanted to get her back up to speed. Well at the thousand doller mark they called and had not got to the meat of the matter, changing the timing belt and water pump. They had me, ya my fault I trusted them, so they got another $600 out of me. I also told everyone I knew or had any excuse to talk to about said dealership and they lost way more than that $600 in the long run.
I have a mechanic I use now (I can't do everything) that is honest as the day is long and he knows what he is doing. Timing belt change at the dealer close to $600, he charges $240 and does a fine job. My wifes rig stared vibrating so bad one time when I was out of town she was afraid to even drive it to his shop. She called him and he came with his truck and hauled it off. Called her back later and told her one of the front tires was coming apart. He only charged for the truck transport, I shudder to think about how much the rebuilt front end would have cost from other "reputable" shops. This man makes a very good living by treating people fairly. I believe a skilled man should make a good living. That does not mean putting your kid through college by bilking old women out of their savings by charging 4 or 5 times the time it takes to really do the work. Ya I know unrealistic.

RAL

Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 PM
ceekay
Cruiser

It's sad that the mechanic world has stooped to such actions... Then again, all the vehicles they make these days are so goddamned overcomplicated and computer-driven, you damn near need a doctorate in software development before you can even DREAM of turning wrenches on it!

What I wanna know from the major manufacturers is....

What the hell was wrong with the Chevy 350 and other blocks!? The damn thing was so simple, that the only wiring in the engine bay itself was a fuse box and spark plug wires. WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THAT!?!?!?

Seriously, vehicle turn signals DO NOT need to be computer-controlled (Pretty much any car newer than 2004 has their turn signal circuit run through the computer).

It used to be, you'd be bullshitting with someone and they'd pop their hood, and you'd see some big beautiful beast of an engine laying there.... Now, you pop the hood, and there are ten different plastic shrouds trying to hide the manufacturer's shameful amalgamation of **** they try to pass off as a "powerplant."

F- that, I just want my SIMPLICITY back!!!

- CK

Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 PM
stlboarder
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JBourquin
As a former Auto/Diesel mechanic, I never understood how people could afford to take their cars to the dealer for every little problem. I've always done my own work and couldn't fathom having to pay a dealer to work on my truck.
I wonder this all the time. I'll work on my truck or bikes and at the end I'll just think, damn that would have cost me 500+ at a dealer.

The best question I get when I work on my parents or friends vehicles is, how come the dealer quoted me at 5 hours and you just did it in 45mins? Well they would do it in 45mins as well but charge you the full 5 hours flat rate charge.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Ironman 883
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ceekay;[URL="tel:9945835"
9945835[/url]]It's sad that the mechanic world has stooped to such actions... Then again, all the vehicles they make these days are so goddamned overcomplicated and computer-driven, you damn near need a doctorate in software development before you can even DREAM of turning wrenches on it!

What I wanna know from the major manufacturers is....

What the hell was wrong with the Chevy 350 and other blocks!? The damn thing was so simple, that the only wiring in the engine bay itself was a fuse box and spark plug wires. WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THAT!?!?!?

Seriously, vehicle turn signals DO NOT need to be computer-controlled (Pretty much any car newer than 2004 has their turn signal circuit run through the computer).

It used to be, you'd be bullshitting with someone and they'd pop their hood, and you'd see some big beautiful beast of an engine laying there.... Now, you pop the hood, and there are ten different plastic shrouds trying to hide the manufacturer's shameful amalgamation of **** they try to pass off as a "powerplant."

F- that, I just want my SIMPLICITY back!!!

- CK
Yeah screw all modern tech, who cares about emissions, who cares about fossil fuel conservation! Who needs all those complex systems I don't understand to help me save money and better the place I live? I wanna be able to do anything on my car without knowing anything about it! Give every mom and daughter and grandma a big ol v8 so they arent such ******. *goes to tear all plastic off of car* LOOK AT ALL THIS FACTORY SHOW QUALITY ALUMINUM IVE NEVER SEEN. **** it make it all cast iron and overweight!! BEAST

Also anyone that has worked flat rates knows, 1st of all you win and lose 2nd of all if you keep a customer balances out. Sure their inspection didn;t REALLY take you a hour, but they love to wayyy over tighten those lug nuts, how dare you break a stud to changing brakes. They wont pay for that!

Last edited by Ironman 883; 06-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:20 PM
JeepnHD
Cruiser

Well of course Jeep is going to charge $450 for brake pads, they have to charge for all the time their mechanics are eating up for the endless recalls...I rarely see my Jeep anymore its in the dealer so much for recall work.

Quick Reply: Get a kick out of stealer quotes