Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Sportster REALLY the fastest HD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is the Sportster REALLY the fastest HD?

I am new to the HD crowd and have been reading these forums since I got my Sportster a few months ago.

Y'all talk like the Sportster is faster than other HD's.

Now, I haven't researched all the specs and I haven't riden other HDs.

So, is what you guys say true or is it just bragging?

Cause mine seams pretty damn quick to me and I know I got a big motor in a lighht frame.

But what is the TRUTH?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is the Sportster REALLY the fastest HD?

Stock with the exeption of the v-rod the 1200 is quicker than the other models. Things change. The new softail looks like a pretty light bike. With 96 cubes, could be the quickest yet.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

In fact, Sportster is a bit faster on take off because it is lighter. Here is my experience, I rode with 3 softails last sunday, two twin cam 88 and one 96, I followed the 96 and it was damn fast, I can keep up with him but when he cracks the throttle open, it really goes man, especially going up hill, it has torque. Sportster is fast but 400cc bigger engine could beat my 1200 big time. The only thing I don't understand is how good the 07 softail corners, thank to the 200mm rear tire.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed!!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "fastest".

If you're talking strictly stock bikes, the Sporster probably has the quickest acceleration. You can probably get to 100MPH faster than any other Harley model, although I'm not sure anyone's ever done a side by side test with the same riders, on the same day, with the whole set of stock bikes. Having said that, though, I've seen some numbers on the standing quarter that indicate the Sportster 1200 is the second or third fastest bike in the quarter.

If you're talking about top end, well, I suspect any of the Twin-Cam 96's will smoke a Sportster in terms of the highest attainable top speed. I don't think a stock Sporty is much good for more than 120MPH, before you max out on RPMs. I suspect the 96's will do better than that, depending. I think the profile of the bike would have a lot to do with it. You tak an Electra Glide Ultra Classic, with that huge fairing, and side bags, and whatnot, you have to push a lot of air out of the way at high speeds. That wind resistance would probably limit the performance. But, I'd bet a Dyna would blow a Sportser away at the top end. Especially in 6th gear. You got a lot longer to go in 6th before maxing out the RPMs on a 96.

How important is that, though? I mean, how often are you gonna go that fast? If you hit the highway, you';re doing, what, 80 MPH or so? How much more top end do you need before you're just trying to kill yourself? At normal speeds, the 1200cc V-Twin should be able to keep up with just about any 96 cruiser.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock with the exeption of the v-rod the 1200 is quicker than the other models.
Well, can you count the V-Rod? I mean, that one kinda stands alone in terms of the HD family.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Superstylin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The VROD kills the Sporty on accelaration and top end. All the other big bikes kill the Sporty on top end too. I'm really not interested in top end, but I do push my bike hard occasionally from robot to robot, and that is where the Sporty rocks. I am getting the SE conversion done when she goes in for the first service and am hoping for a big performance boost and even more acceleration fun. But fastest Harley - hell no!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:30 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sportsters are quick, not FAST. Top end, most any Harley will beat a Sportster, but excelleration and through the twistys, Sportster will kick a$$. V-rod being the exception. It being a water cooled bike, it's an exception in many ways when you're talking Harleys.

When riding with my buddy's on their Big twin bikes, on the interstate I can keep up, but sometimes it's a struggle. When we hit the back roads, the Sporty always finds it's way to the front of the pack.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Kolni
Banned

IThanks Dale, what I ment was "quickiest" as appossed to "fastest".

Thanks for your post.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: Dale Franks
How important is that, though? I mean, how often are you gonna go that fast? If you hit the highway, you';re doing, what, 80 MPH or so? How much more top end do you need before you're just trying to kill yourself?
I agree 100%!!

I drive the speed limit for the most part.....I just like to get to that limit rather quickly.[8D]

Quick Reply: Is the Sportster REALLY the fastest HD?