Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-14-2007, 11:05 PM
cajun883custom cajun883custom is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Crowley, LA
Posts: 479
Send a message via AIM to cajun883custom
Default rear tire size??????? ??? ??

just ordered a custom rear rim to match my front

18x3.50
my question to yall out there in sportster land,
what would be my best bet for tire size, 150 or 160mm?
and also, what complete size,, like 150/70 18?
__________________
2006 XL883C
A whole lotta stuff installed!

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2007, 11:35 PM
OldFenderGuy's Avatar
OldFenderGuy OldFenderGuy is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ozark Country
Posts: 8,641
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

Quote:
ORIGINAL: cajun883custom

just ordered a custom rear rim to match my front

18x3.50
my question to yall out there in sportster land,
what would be my best bet for tire size, 150 or 160mm?
and also, what complete size,, like 150/70 18?
Sounds like a winner to me....

The maximum recommended size for the rear of the Sportsters (without any modifications) is 18 X 4.25 with a 150/70 - 18 tire, so the 18 X 3.50 will work without any problems.

Don't know if I would try going with a 160 tire, as that would be pretty wide for your 3.50 rim, and that would be over the recommended size anyway.

As far as tire sizes, the 150/70 -18 would probably be your best bet.

Just for information; The 140/70 - 18 tire is recommended for rim sizes 3.00 - 4.50, and the 150/70 -18 is recommended for rim sizes 3.50 - 4.50..

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
"Magna Res Est Vocis Et Silentii Temper Amentum"

(The Great Thing Is To Know When To Speak, And When To Keep Silent)


And By The Way; I'm Not Your "Bro"..

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2007, 03:01 AM
brauny1 brauny1 is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 778
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

I want a widerrear tire, and every time, they tell me the 130/90-16 is what I gota live withon the T16x3.00 D rim. I do think the tire runs very close to the drive belt. BUT... How isyour new rim and tire working??? I'd really like to know...
__________________
Float like a Butterfly / Sting like a Bee.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o.../brauny134.jpg..........
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 PM
cajun883custom cajun883custom is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Crowley, LA
Posts: 479
Send a message via AIM to cajun883custom
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

Quote:
ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Quote:
ORIGINAL: cajun883custom

just ordered a custom rear rim to match my front

18x3.50
my question to yall out there in sportster land,
what would be my best bet for tire size, 150 or 160mm?
and also, what complete size,, like 150/70 18?
Sounds like a winner to me....

The maximum recommended size for the rear of the Sportsters (without any modifications) is 18 X 4.25 with a 150/70 - 18 tire, so the 18 X 3.50 will work without any problems.

Don't know if I would try going with a 160 tire, as that would be pretty wide for your 3.50 rim, and that would be over the recommended size anyway.

As far as tire sizes, the 150/70 -18 would probably be your best bet.

Just for information; The 140/70 - 18 tire is recommended for rim sizes 3.00 - 4.50, and the 150/70 -18 is recommended for rim sizes 3.50 - 4.50..

Click the image to open in full size.
Thats actually the size I found somewhere on the internet. Thanks a bunch. Rather be safe with the 150 than buy a 160 and be screwed if it doesnt fit.
__________________
2006 XL883C
A whole lotta stuff installed!

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2007, 01:25 PM
slammedsporty04 slammedsporty04 is offline
Prospect
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 142
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

so when do you expect to get your wheel and tire. I am kinda interest to see what it will look like, something I might eventually want to do. can't wait to see what it will look like.
__________________
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/50...m/IMG_0167.JPG
04 XL883 Custom
Impact blue and Vivid Black
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
rx3732 rx3732 is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas (Wylie) Texas
Posts: 89
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

I've got a 160 Metzler on mine w/ no problems whatsoever. Same bike as yours, '06 883C.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
cajun883custom cajun883custom is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Crowley, LA
Posts: 479
Send a message via AIM to cajun883custom
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rx3732

I've got a 160 Metzler on mine w/ no problems whatsoever. Same bike as yours, '06 883C.
what size tire? what size wheel you have in rear? marathon tire?
__________________
2006 XL883C
A whole lotta stuff installed!

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
OldFenderGuy's Avatar
OldFenderGuy OldFenderGuy is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ozark Country
Posts: 8,641
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

Not all tires are created the same..

Depending on manufacturer there can be a sizeabledifference in actual tire width, from one 150mm or 160mm tire to another. The sizing isn't as 'standard' as you might think.

A 160mm tire from one company might not have an actual width any greater than a 150mm tire from another company.

If you are talking close tolerances I'd be very careful and take some measurements when considering 150mm/160mm tires from different firms.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
"Magna Res Est Vocis Et Silentii Temper Amentum"

(The Great Thing Is To Know When To Speak, And When To Keep Silent)


And By The Way; I'm Not Your "Bro"..

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2007, 08:54 PM
rx3732 rx3732 is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas (Wylie) Texas
Posts: 89
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

Quote:
ORIGINAL: cajun883custom

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rx3732

I've got a 160 Metzler on mine w/ no problems whatsoever. Same bike as yours, '06 883C.
what size tire? what size wheel you have in rear? marathon tire?
Yes, it was a marathon tire. 16" on the factory wheel.
And OFG is right, not all are created equal. But if you check out Metzlers website, they list what max tire size you can fit on your make/model of bike. I've read where several people have gone w/ the 160 on the rear as well before I made the decision. Check out my picture in my profile...I have a 'rear' shot showing the tire. I HIGHLY recommend the Metz Marathons. Great tires!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-17-2007, 12:22 AM
slammedsporty04 slammedsporty04 is offline
Prospect
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 142
Default RE: rear tire size??????? ??? ??

yeah a lot of people are running a 160 on the factory 16" wheel. but you need to remember he is not going to be using a 16" wheel, he order an aftermarket 18" which may be different. I would play it safe and go with the 150 this time.
__________________
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/50...m/IMG_0167.JPG
04 XL883 Custom
Impact blue and Vivid Black
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:22 AM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belt/Tire HOGILAC Wheels/Tires 1 02-17-2014 12:58 PM
what size tire on 11 road king 18 x 5 arebee2 Touring Models 8 12-15-2013 07:22 PM
Slim w/ a 18" rear. What size tire? Not2slim Softail Models 2 05-07-2013 08:39 PM
160/60/18 or 150 /70/18 rear? Hoblick Touring Models 14 10-18-2011 05:59 PM
Rear Tire Size? cmvsm Dyna Glide Models 13 03-23-2011 01:49 AM


Tags
130, 14070, 160, 18, 2006, max, mm, rear, rim, size, sportster, tire, tires, width, xl883c


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join HDForums

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Internet Brands, Inc.