Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:08 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension

Is there a way to adjust the front suspension like the rear? It seems that the front forks compress a lot when I'm on the bike. I'm pretty average size; 5'10" 180lbs. Or is that normal.
Jeff

Old 01-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Flatlander
Road Warrior
Default RE: Front Suspension

I have heard some people say thicker oil in the front forks will help. Personally I would get one of the front kits that have either a heavier spring or progressive springs if you can find them. Inside the forks are springs and oil, alot like shocks, they can't be adjusted but they can be modified.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:36 AM
whannigan1
Cruiser

I would suggest finding another sportster to sit on and compare it to yourstoo rule out an issue with your forks. Not everything new is the way it should be. My next question would be how does it ride? If it rides fine and you can confirm that the compression is normal. It maybe as smply as having your eyes recalibrated. Just a suggestion Mine have lead me astay before. later detirmined to be an alcohol induced problem LOL.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same problem. Although I'm a bit larger than you. I'm 6'1" 205. I tried the heavier fork oil. It did improve the front suspension, but not as much as I had hoped. I plan on getting some progressive springs, just haven't done that yet.

You might try the heavier fork oil. With your lower weight, that might be enough of an improvement for you.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 PM
johnsonabq
Tourer

Thanks guys.
I just nowthought to look at the video intro on the Harley Davidson website for the Sportster and it looks as though the forks compress for them as they do for me. I guess it's normal. You need to be moving before you get the full compression. I'll let it go for now but if it starts to bug me I'll try SportyPig's idea of heavier fork oil.
Jeff

Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Harvey Mushman
Banned

The short answer is, the stock springs suck goat *****. They sag way to much and bottomn too easily. Replace them withProgressive springs, and good fork oil. No, not the screamin beagle crap.Any good 15 wgt fork oil is better and cheaper.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
I got knocked off the forum.... Running funny.... ?
Yuuup.. mee too....

Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsonabq
Is there a way to adjust the front suspension like the rear? It seems that the front forks compress a lot when I'm on the bike. I'm pretty average size; 5'10" 180lbs. Or is that normal.
Jeff
Do you self a favor and just get the Progeessive Suspension fork springs. I'm sure many others will agree that it's about the best $75.00 inverstment you can make on the bike. It's too cheap not to do. There's absolutely no downside to them and the ride improvement is highly significant. Install is very simple as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Progress...ad9da5&vxp=mtr

Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the Progressive kit I have in my 2007 1200 C, it in combination with 7w BelRay Fork Oil about as perfect as you can get a Sporty front end. I used the spacers at their full 3" length. If I try Intiminators some day I will remove .5" from the spacers. Sorry about the fuzzy picture my re-sizer is not such a good one.

Attached Thumbnails  Front Suspension-bike-tire-done-small-.jpg    Front Suspension-230-770_a-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 06:36 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the Progressive kit I have in my 2007 1200 C, it in combination with 7w BelRay Fork Oil about as perfect as you can get a Sporty front end. I used the spacers at their full 3" length. If I try Intiminators some day I will remove .5" from the spacers. Sorry about the fuzzy picture my re-sizer is not such a good one.
Best answer so far...when you have everything apart do put the ricor intimidators in and set up your sag properly...front end transformed.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension