Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Sporty....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM
GN_LEE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring on a Sporty....

....So, last year my annual trip with the missus was Richmond, Virginia, Skyline ride and all around VA. 900 miles, 3 nights, 4 days on my 2004 Custom XL. Great freakin ride - gotta love the South!

Just got back from this year's ride and we did (home town) Philadelphia to Boston to Plymouth to Dennis Port (Ferry) to Nantucket to Provincetown to Philadelphia. 1007 miles in total. 420 miles on the last day, Provincetown to home. Whole trip was awesome, bike has 35k miles on it. She purred at 80 mph with me and the old lady on it, plus luggage. No problems whatsoever (apart from the occassional ******* driver).

The reason for the post is to prove how versatile the Sporty really is. OK, it isn't the most comfortable for the long hauls but with regular stops, say, every 100 - 125 miles, it is more than doable. For this trip I bought my wife an Airhawk air pad which she said really helped - highly recommended - $75 off eBay, brand new!

My Sporty isn't customized, doesn't have a windshield, doesn't have engine guard and highway "stretch out" pegs and all the rest - it is all stock except mini apes, throw ever saddle bags and a luggage bag over the sissy bar. More than enough storage for 2 peersons for 4 days or so. Roll up the Tshirts, etc.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a touring Harley (I also have an Iron, so why not have 3?) but cannot bring myself to do it! I love the raw, honest ride of the Sporty - after all, you have to ride it! What I mean is, it ain't a car on two wheels, it is the real deal, kinda how they did it in the old days if that makes any sense?

Anyway, just thought I'd share..........I read somewhere once : "sometimes the bike you think you need is the one you already have." Very, very true in my case at least!

P.S - I took Duct Tape on my trip and used it on the bike on 3 different occassions - a must take item on any long haul!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:20 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Any pics of your trip?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM
GN_LEE
Advanced

Yeah loads but not too may with my Sporty in. Here are 2, one from this years trip, the Sporty at Dennis Port, MA, before we get on the ferry to Nantucket and one from last year, my wife looking over at the clouds from the Skyline ride, VA. Awesome times......

Touring on a Sporty....-545770_4587061244168_1911168587_n.jpg

Touring on a Sporty....-487716_4358164361889_1447892184_n.jpg

Old 09-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Spent a week in Dennis Port this year......nice little town. Me and one of my sons are taking our sporties from Atlanta to Springfield IL in a few weeks. Ive been on a couple 1000+ mile rides on my sporty, love every minute of it. At the end of the riding day theres no mistaking youve been on a motorcycle all day. Love your tank mounted GPS system

Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM
GN_LEE
Advanced

Yep, you can't beat the old skool GPS - it never fails!!!

Dennis Port was interesting. I didn't want the (tourist) hassle of Hyannis, so opted for the Dennis Port ferry. Stayed overnight in a Motel and went for a walk. Basically a 1 horse town BUT found a bar called RUM RUNNERS! Great freakin bar man. It was a packed out Saturday night for the hottest ticket in town "Johnny Vance & the Outsiders" - awesome band; fairly big back in the 80s called "JV & the Vamps". I got wasted and a stranger gave me and the old lady a ride back to motel. Great people, gotta love it!

Good luck on your ride to Springfield, IL. You'll have a blast. Can't wait to ride with my boy (age 6) in years to come!!!!

Last edited by GN_LEE; 09-25-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by GN_LEE
Yep, you can't beat the old skool GPS - it never fails!!!
Heh, of course, why didn't I think of that.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Holy crap........we got wasted at Rum Runners. Me and the GF were there on a kareokee night. We usually participate in kareokee but the people that would get on stage sounded like professional singers so we just drank The house we stayed in was 3 blocks from Rum Runners............small world.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on the "Touring with a Sporty"

Difference for me is that I do have a windshield, forward controls and screaming eagle. Oh, and a cup holder for the longer rides.

My goal is to hit them all but here is my touring map so far:

Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member

Heres the little cottage we stayed in.

We did do a lot of touristy stuff though

Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 AM
GN_LEE
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rog48
Holy crap........we got wasted at Rum Runners. Me and the GF were there on a kareokee night. We usually participate in kareokee but the people that would get on stage sounded like professional singers so we just drank The house we stayed in was 3 blocks from Rum Runners............small world.

That is crazy, considering you're from Atlanta (right?) and I'm from Phila. We also hit the bar "28 club" right on, yep, route 28!

Nice pics, BTW! Your girl is sweeeet, just saying

Quick Reply: Touring on a Sporty....