Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

India : Superlo(w)ving the Harley Davidson XL 883L

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 AM
vinoo@go
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default India : Superlo(w)ving the Harley Davidson XL 883L

Hi from India , southernmost part of india actually a state called kerala . HD just started selling here & the first superlow XL883L from the dealer spice coast harley is with me at home.
have done about 60miles on it & getting used to the bike , for those of you who are not familiar with biking scene in india its all about 100 - 150 cc japanese bikes largely . so HD is a statement in itself .

now for all you experienced riders out here anticipatory bail , might ask a lot of dumb questions kindly bear with me

1) First thing in such a populous country stop & go traffic is everywhere & cant be avoided in the 60mile I did 50% would be that & it really gets hot . any solutions , have been reading the net on lenale fans , do they work on sportsters are they any good ? temperatures here are always in the 30 -33celsius range ( 86 to 92F). read about a crotch cooler too

2) surprisingly havent scraped anything yet must be my weight of 152 pounds and have been solo most of the time , so a lot of my pre buy worries not there for the moment

3) gears make a loud thud especially gear 1 , is this normal , will it get a lot quieter as more miles are clocked .

4) how does the leather on seats take to getting wet in rain ?

5) any must buy accesories

i can get some one to carry a lot of stuff from us to india so shipping to india is not an issue .

attaching a few launch pics , looking forward to hearing from all of you & sharing experiences

Attached Thumbnails India : Superlo(w)ving the Harley Davidson XL 883L-h-d-077.jpg   India : Superlo(w)ving the Harley Davidson XL 883L-20120925_170436.jpg  
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi vinoo, from a SuperLow in the UK.

3). I can't answer all your questions, but you will find that engaging first gear, especially the first time each day, will produce a thud. This is because the clutch plates run in oil and stick together - the first time they are asked to disengage is that first gear change!

4). I don't think the stock seat is actually leather, but an artificial material, which should be fine in rain. If it is exposed to a great deal of rain the seat padding may get wet, although my SuperLow hasn't been exposed to much yet.

5). As for accessories, that is very personal, also you really don't want us to spend your money for you! I have a carrier and windshield, but the UK is colder than Kerala (my wife visited there, before I met her and has fond memories).

Hope that helps. Ride and enjoy!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 AM
vinoo@go
Novice

thanks , great to know you know superlow so well & kerala too , yes its a pretty place , maybe its time for a visit together .
Thanks for the replies & please keep feeding in tips , for me the whole thing is a quantum jump from small 100 cc bikes to 883 cc after a 16 year break !! , have added a engine guard , rear pillion & pegs & also a lockable fuel cap a must here . just became a HOG member too

Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

One accessory I would think about adding may be an oil cooler. This will keep the oil temps a little lower since you are in mostly stop and go traffic AND in a hot climate. As for the heat coming off the engine and it being uncomfortable for you? There isn't too much that can be done. HD does offer a crotch heat deflector that probably helps a bit, but it's still going to be hot. These engines produce much more heat than the 100cc bikes you've been used to. Look at getting the Sundowner seat for a lot of added comfort for you and the ability to add a passenger. The rest is up to you. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats on the new scoot! I'd go oil cooler + forward controls or at least riding pegs up front. I'm also a big fan of good full synthetic oil in air cooled motors.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM
AustinXL
Tourer

My wife is from India (New Delhi). Have never been but from what I understand you're gonna need an oil cooler.

Also, it seems wild to me that Harley now has like 8 dealerships in India, everyone there has 100 or 200 CC bikes!

Good luck with your bike buddy, the SuperLow is pretty nice!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
NowgFstCat
Tourer

Congrats on the new bike. Accessories depend on your comfort level. I like my mid mount pegs but I added highway bars for longer rides. Added a windshield and bags for more comfort and storage. I changed out my pegs to mini floorboards to give me more of a solid footing. If u can think of it I'm sure Harley makes it. Good luck !!!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a tuner of sorts, I had a Dobeck tuner and it helps on cooling. Even the Xieds by Nightrider work fine. It will cool it more than you think.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 AM
vinoo@go
Novice

Originally Posted by baka1969
One accessory I would think about adding may be an oil cooler. This will keep the oil temps a little lower since you are in mostly stop and go traffic AND in a hot climate. As for the heat coming off the engine and it being uncomfortable for you? There isn't too much that can be done. HD does offer a crotch heat deflector that probably helps a bit, but it's still going to be hot. These engines produce much more heat than the 100cc bikes you've been used to. Look at getting the Sundowner seat for a lot of added comfort for you and the ability to add a passenger. The rest is up to you. Good luck.
Thanks but oilcooler again helps only when vehicle is moving is it not ? thats what various net searches say , any inputs on lenale fans ?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 AM
vinoo@go
Novice

Originally Posted by AustinXL
My wife is from India (New Delhi). Have never been but from what I understand you're gonna need an oil cooler.

Also, it seems wild to me that Harley now has like 8 dealerships in India, everyone there has 100 or 200 CC bikes!

Good luck with your bike buddy, the SuperLow is pretty nice!
Great so an india visit is long due , there are the odd superbikes & owing to the duties & taxes they cost as much as small cars !! HD is doing well though the supply lead time is quite long & outs off a lot of buyers , was lucky to get the first one in this state . yes checking out the oilcoooler now

Quick Reply: India : Superlo(w)ving the Harley Davidson XL 883L