Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 516 Posts

This looks like fun....subscribed!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by sevend9camaro
Hope you are not going to lose the sissy bar, love it!!!
Not sure yet if I will be able to use the current sissy bar or if I will need to fab a new one.

Still mulling over various alternatives on the rear fender mount.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Kevin, I know where you can get a deal on A/C's and coil relo's! Lol! Looks good!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM
therealjohnny5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Kev! Looking forward to seeing it shape up. Couple of ideas for you:

As for the tank mount, two things stood out, not sure if it'd work but drill through the frame and run a long bolt all the way through?

The other idea was chop the tabs and run them up from the outside edge of the backbone, then work the tank tabs so they fit inside and more flush to the backbone. Then run two short bolts with the heads on the inside. Just an idea.

And as for the rear fender this guy ^^^^^^^^ Robbie13's trick for his fender would probably work for yours if I understand what you're trying to do.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robbie13
Hey Kevin, I know where you can get a deal on A/C's and coil relo's! Lol! Looks good!
ROFL

Originally Posted by therealjohnny5
hey Kev! Looking forward to seeing it shape up. Couple of ideas for you:

As for the tank mount, two things stood out, not sure if it'd work but drill through the frame and run a long bolt all the way through?

The other idea was chop the tabs and run them up from the outside edge of the backbone, then work the tank tabs so they fit inside and more flush to the backbone. Then run two short bolts with the heads on the inside. Just an idea.

And as for the rear fender this guy ^^^^^^^^ Robbie13's trick for his fender would probably work for yours if I understand what you're trying to do.
Good thoughts on the tank.

What did Robbie13 do with his fender? Link?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I had a couple of hours yesterday.

Stock the front fender sits 1" off the tire.

I want to get it down to about 3/8" off the tire. There is enough metal on the brackets that I am going to drill 4 new holes 5/8" higher on the bracket and then trim the extra metal off.

Next I pulled all the wires and lights off the rear fender (had to drill out 5 rivets just to get that plastic/rubber guard outa there).

Went to set the fender down on the front of the swing arm and start measuring where to cut.

Problem....

There is very little clearance between the belt and the tire. Not enough to use the stock fender without a huge amount of cutting and finish work.

So some time was spent deciding if I really want to mount the fender to the swingarm, or just go the easy way and chop it and mount it to the frame struts.

I want to keep the option of rear shocks, AND I want the fender close to the tire. So the search is on for a fender blank to use.

I found plenty of trailer type flat fenders, but what I really want is a more rounded look...sort of like this one-

I already looked at lowbrow and biltwell...did not see anything.

Any direction on where to go for this type of fender blank would be cool.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Robbie13
LOSER

Hey Kevin, not sure if it was you or whomever asking, but here's a link to my fender build. I got a fender blank from LedSled Customs and made a bracket I welded to the fender and bolted to my swing arm. The fender was easily thick enough I didn't need the supporting fender struts in the rear coming up from the rear of the swing arm. I may add them anyway at some point, just cause I think they look good.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...der-build.html

Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Robbie13
LOSER

Forgot to mention, call LedSled and tell them your tire size and wheel diameter and they will go from there.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Hey Kevin, not sure if it was you or whomever asking, but here's a link to my fender build. I got a fender blank from LedSled Customs and made a bracket I welded to the fender and bolted to my swing arm. The fender was easily thick enough I didn't need the supporting fender struts in the rear coming up from the rear of the swing arm. I may add them anyway at some point, just cause I think they look good.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...der-build.html
Forgot to mention, call LedSled and tell them your tire size and wheel diameter and they will go from there.
Thanks man! Gonna read thru your fender thread tonight!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Least I could do for you! Any questions, just pm me.

Quick Reply: Sportster Winter Makeover