Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HD Sportster Owner with a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:41 PM
BBuff
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HD Sportster Owner with a question

I just purchased a brand new Sportster 1200 Custom on Monday and had a question about the exhaust. It has about 20 miles on it now and here are my questions. Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to visiting this board often.

1. Is it too early to change out the exhaust or add slip-ons? Do I have to wait until the breakin period is up?
2. I've been browsing around for recommendations and it looks like slip-ons are the way to go. Will this require an ECM update if I only change the slip-ons?

I found these on eBay which looks like what a lot of folks are talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VANCE...mZ230091617271

Brian

Old 02-14-2007, 12:46 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: New HD Sportster Owner with a question

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the scoot.

If you only add pipes, I'm pretty certain you don't have to update the ECM. I know I didn't have to rejet the carb on my bike, just for adding pipes. I didn't have to do the rejet until I installed the Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner.

I wouldn't think the amout of miles would matter. I've heard of people getting the screamin eagle slip on mufflers installed before they took delivery of their bike.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
bigtop1
Road Master

I'd suggest that you ride it for awhile to get a feel for the set up as a whole. Once you have familarized yourself with the existing set up, you can then begin to make your own kinds of changes. I would bet that those that bought their bikes with changes made before delivery were probably former owners of a sportster or, had ridden one for awhile. The exhaust changes will not require an ECM change. You'e just letting the pressurized hot air out faster. Slip ons are a good alternative to a full exhaust pipe change. Not the same, however. If you feel the need, then you can do it at any time. Just my 2 cents. Have fun. Ride safe.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can change the mufflers anytime. Had SE mufflers added by the dealer when I bought the bike.

The exhaust your looking at (Straightshot slip-ons) sound great on my Lowrider (Quiet Baffles).

Should sound great on your Sportster.

Go for it!!!

Sammi

Old 02-14-2007, 02:56 PM
agedwards63
Road Master

yeah change them anytime you want just if you change the a/c cleaner you will need the remap on the FI I am waiting till my gal gets comfortable on hers then it's Vance and Hines or maybe Rush slip-ons

Old 02-14-2007, 03:16 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior

All good information...... Welcome to the forum from Indiana........Enjoy!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
bospider01
Cruiser

i had everything done at the dealer when i bought my bike. when i picked it up, the air cleaner, slip-ons (rush brand), and remapping (EFI, 07' 1200C) were installed with only 16 miles on the bike.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the slip on's SEII installled with 300 miles on the OD, then the SE A/C at 700 with the re-map.

It would be nice to wait till its got 1000 miles on it then when you do the up grade and twist that throttle wide open after the upgrade you will be able to fell the difference.

I can't tell much difference after the upgrade because I never really leaned on it that hard before the upgrade, but it does feel strong thru all the gears.

I had the H/D do all the work, bought the parts at the dealer also.

Tom

Old 02-14-2007, 07:22 PM
BBuff
Novice

I just talked to the Parts Dept and they said that if I went with the SE slip-ons only no remap is required. However, if I go with any other aftermarket brand slip-ons a remap would be required. So what do I do?

Old 02-14-2007, 07:33 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to re-map with after maket slip on's you would be wasteing money not to do the stage 1 upgrade, with the a/c. I would supose you would have to check the re-map after a A/C was installed. Another 1/2 hr labor and $150.

I like the H/D slip on's, some say there not loud enough thats a person preference.

If you don't do the re-map as the dealer suggest with after market pipes I guess there is a chance you could damage the engine. Can't make that decission for you!

Tom

Quick Reply: New HD Sportster Owner with a question