Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Rocker Box Gasket now bike is not running right

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
dayhunt85
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Rocker Box Gasket now bike is not running right

08' XL1200C

I changed my rocker box gasket two weeks ago because it started leaking on the last ride last year. I followed the guide from this site and also used the service manual. I purchased the gasket kit from JP cycles and they sent me the wrong kit but the rocker box gasket was correct, but everything else was wrong. Everything else went pretty smooth, and I just reused the cover gaskets, thankfully they were all still in good shape.

I started the bike up after we got it back together and it kept sputtering and dying; the bike has never sputtered and died in the two years I have had it. After about six starts it stayed running. I figured it was dying because I had the fuel lines pulled off when I pulled the tank. It also seemed to be vibrating more. I figured I was just tricking myself, and called it good and shut her down.

I just went out and started it again today because it finally started warming up. It sputtered and died a few times, and when it does it lets a big hiss out of the air cleaner. Once it finally stayed started, it still seems to be vibrating hard and did not sound quite right.

This was my first time turning wrenches on my bike, so maybe I am just being paranoid and need to take it out for a ride. But if something is really wrong I don't want to tear it up more. Does anyone have any suggestions on this one? I would hate to trailer it to the shop and they tell me that I just needed to ride the cob webs out of it!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you drain your gas or put Sta-bil or something of the sort in it before storing it?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

well there is a torque down process and a lb measurement you need to follow. This is in your manual. You didn't change the positions of the pushrods did you? You may need to adjust them and it's not that difficult. Do a search in YouTube and how to adjust valves on IronHead.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Rob from upstate
Novice

My rocker box gaskets both were changed twice by my local dealer during my factory warranty period. The originals began leaking after less than 1000 miles. They replaced them and then the replacements leaked after 100 miles. I am on my third set with no problems. My Sporty hasn't exhibited any of the problems you mentioned though. Good luck to you. Always start with the easiest possible cause/solution and go from there.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:22 PM
dayhunt85
Novice

tank,
I had to move my bike out of the basement and it fired right up on the first shot and I rode it 20 miles around town before i changed the gasket later that day.

quest,
i followed the torque specs closely. I took the rods out and was careful to put them back in the same spot. One had orange paint on it the other white which helped keep them separate. I did not do anything other than place them back in though. It did not seem like there was much to adjust though...?

Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

If it was running fine before you started working on it, but it isn't now, then something you disturbed while doing the job is no longer right. Seems a darned obvious thing to say, but you need to retrace your steps, with great care, until you find what is wrong. Mixing up the pushrods is a candidate, but read your manual before doing anything! Then read it again.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rquest
. Do a search in YouTube and how to adjust valves on IronHead.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM
dayhunt85
Novice

Well I said f#%k it and took it for a ride. Nothing blew up and it is not leaking oil anymore. It still doesnt seem like it running quite right, and it acted like it was going to die and let a hiss out of the air cleaner but never died.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:26 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

plug wires on wrong????

Old 03-30-2013, 12:47 PM
BC45
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a compression test. When you put it back togeather was the lifters on the small part of the cam lobe? If not possable one of the valves hit piston and bent the face a little?

Quick Reply: Changed Rocker Box Gasket now bike is not running right