Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change what the -----

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 AM
silverbullet2006
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change what the -----

I changed the oil in my 06 1200 this past weekend I followed all the inst. in the manual and when I finished I had only drained out maybe half a gallon of oil so I wondered what the --- I noticed the drain tube snakes it way to the back of the crank case about half way the case. so how do I get the rest of the bad oil out this is the 5000 mile change by the way

Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"...maybe half a gallon..." would be about right to drain out. Total capacity for an 04-07 XL is about 2.8 Qts. In some owner manuals it says 3.6 Qts...hah...no way...

So, taking into account what is still residual in the oil lines and what was in the filter...you got out about the right amount.

I usually put about 2.5 or less quarts in when I change my oil on my 07 XL.

They do make scavanger oil change systems for your bike if you want to get every last ounce of oil out. Never used one myself.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you really want to get every bit of the old oil out. Try this. I use it on both my bikes.
http://www.roguechopper.com/

Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, did you run the bike a little before draining it? From experience, it makes a difference in how much you get out.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:24 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
If you really want to get every bit of the old oil out. Try this. I use it on both my bikes.
http://www.roguechopper.com/
I don't get what that does on a Sportster. I watched the video for Sportster and it looks like you just "T" into the oil return line and run a hose down below the bike.
It looks like you do the oil change then pinch the oil return line between the "T" and the oil tank and remove the plug and run the engine till the old oil is out so what is this puck for?
Why can't you just buy a "T", a short length of hose and a plug and do this yourself using a pair of needle nose vice grips? why pay the $89.95?
I must be missing something.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i just drain the oil till it's done coming out of the tube, then remove the filter, install new filter and put new oil in tank till about half way up the dipstick, start the bike and let it run for a few thn check and ad oil if needed.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:27 PM
ev0lution7
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i use a similar setup.... only i use a FXR filter (a little more cap)

AND

i removed the crimp clamp on the return line next to the batter on the left side of the oil tank... (rubber mount)
I use a .5 gal plastic juice bottle and i change the oil as normal i pulled the return line off (after i add new oil and new filter) then i run the engine with the return line into the plastic jug.. ti'll about 1qt of dirty oil comes out!

Then i re-attach the return line to the oil tank and top off with 1 qt oil it takes about 4 qts total with the bigger filter and home made scavenge setup!

my oil after 3k miles still looks pretty new... when i did it by the book the oil would look DIRTY after 500 miles... this way i still have clean oil.

its mostly for piece of mind but i try and keep clean oil in my bikes my old CB750 (sohc) has a drain for the oil left in the motor its silly that the sporty uses a DRY sump setup and doesnt allow you to drain the engine case there is about 1qt of dirty oil left over...

So the owners manual is NOT lying the engine/ oil bag hold 3.6QTS of oil but the oil change is about 2.8 qts... w/ filter

Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I'm not sure the need for all these complicated gizmos for a simple oil change.

*Run the bike to heat the oil up

*Unscrew the dip stick

*Drain oil via drain plug

*Remove filter

*Put new filter on

*Make sure drain plug is closed

*Add 2 quarts of oil

*Run bike for 1 minute

*Add additional oil until it's centured on the dipstick

It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. All the other stuff is bollocks. It's never been proven to lengthen the life of the engine when compared to just following the maintenance schedule.

@the OP. Make sure the bike is warmed up and the dipstick is unscrewed so the seal is broken. You don't have to remove the dipstick, just unscrew it.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
It's never been proven to lengthen the life of the engine when compared to just following the maintenance schedule
It may not have been proven but it does stand to reason that it would be better to change all the oil instead of most of the oil right?
It would be like if the drain plug on your car was halfway up the side of the oil pan wouldn't you think to yourself "hhhhmmmm, how can I get the rest of the dirty oil out before I put this nice clean oil in?"

Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
mooseye
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't mean to stir up anything, but I don't change oil in anything unless it gets water in it or overheats.
I am sure as hell not going to pay $90 for something to change it with.

Quick Reply: oil change what the -----