Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Hang Around
Default Heated Grips?

I have been debating installing heated grips on my Sportster. Some have told me they are great while others have told me they are a waste of money and to just get heated gloves. Personally, I would prefer to go with the heated grips if they do truly work. I would like to get your thoughts/opinions on which option is best based on your experiences. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Road Master

I have the heated grips & use them most months of the year. I like thinner gloves and the heated grips really make a difference on chilly rides. Probably no the answer for exterme cold riding, but I am not tough enough for than anymore. Mine are the Demon Grips like these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/symtec-heat-demon-grip-warmers?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={key word}&gclid=CMvPpJ6d17YCFaYWMgodt3AApg

Pretty easy insall. Very satisfied.

2005 XL1200C TAXES PAID
V&H SS
EXTENDED FORWARD CONTROLS
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Road Warrior

With out a wind deflectors for your hands, heated gloves are a better option.

Retired Eagle Driver.....Long Live the Eagle.
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Elite HDF Member

I have heated grips on my quad and even plowing snow I can wear thin comfortable gloves at -30 degrees for hours on end, it has a high/low switch which is a nice feature as your hands can get too hot & sweaty on the high setting, maybe look for that feature.

2007 1200 Roadster "the machine"
SEII's, hurricane flow, PC5, Dyno'd @ 76.33HP & 77.85 Torque.
some pics here http://www.hdforums.com/forum/member...-roadster.html
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM
One Of The Regulars

Depends on how low of temps you'll be riding in, what kind of speeds you'll be going and how long you'll be riding for.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Ordered my bike right away w/ heated grips. That's a no-brainer in Central Europe, and spared me the effort to work on installation and electrical.

The factory grips come w/ settings 1 through 6, of which I haven't used any beyond 3. Six is probably 'deep frying'. Very convincing.

Das Eisenschwein: 2012 1200 Sportster Custom

Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Hang Around

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the advice. I like riding with thin gloves myself which is why I want to go the route of the heated grips. Just want to be able to continue to ride when the temps drop below 32.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsport View Post
I have the heated grips & use them most months of the year. I like thinner gloves and the heated grips really make a difference on chilly rides. Probably no the answer for exterme cold riding, but I am not tough enough for than anymore. Mine are the Demon Grips like these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/symtec-heat-demon-grip-warmers?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={key word}&gclid=CMvPpJ6d17YCFaYWMgodt3AApg

Pretty easy insall. Very satisfied.

Very Cool. Thanks for the info. I didn't even know these existed. I like the idea that they allow me to use the grips I already have.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Club Member

I've had heated grips on several bikes and if you fit them on yours you will always be able to turn them on, regardless of what you ride out with. A late summer evening can get darned cold over here, so if you set off wearing summer gear, warm fingers will help get you back! So I would fit grips first. If you find heated gloves are worth trying, your grips will still be there.
'Sir' Graham 5Ps, #1 Gent! Dude?
Harley owner since 1974, Founder & Life HOG Member.
1990 Officially 'Hyacinth' Blue FLHS/2008 S&S V107T, 2007 Buttercup XB12R, 2011 Merlot XL883L, MG ZT V8 281cid.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Road Master

There is a great fallacy in the reason why hands get cold. Only when you core temperatures begins to drop does your body pull heat from extremities. As far as heat retention mittens are superior. Used to ride snowmobiles for hours with unheated grips in mittens and a snowmobile suit that kept my core temp comfy. Wind-chill only affects uncovered skin. Wind proof fabric suffers no temperature degradation. I have an LL Bean Jacket and with any decent physical effort I'm soaking wet at 10F. Its rated for -25F Relaxed I can take the cold for hours on end.

With that being said I don't find it enjoyable to ride for any distance under 40F with any gear on. My riding season is April to November Temps 45 in spring to 90+ in summer.
HD Get a Grips Magnum
DK Customs High Flow 425 with Outlaw Breathers
Progressive 412s Back, Drop ins Front
Willy and Max large throw over slants.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM

P