Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Iron is going under the Knife... well, more like wrench

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM
pardus
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My Iron is going under the Knife... well, more like wrench

I am a new Harley owner, bought a 2010 Iron in May. Haven't had a bike for 15 years or so and somewhat mechanically inclined, never worked on a bike before. I have been absorbing as much as I can from this community and can't thank everyone enough for the advice and insight the forum has given me.

So I thought I would post some details and photos as I go along the process of maintaining and modifying my Iron. First thing I did was buy a service manual and a new set of craftsman mechanic tools and foot and inch torque wrenches.

First up was changing fluids as the bike had been sitting a long time. Learned some good tips from another post I had going, next one I might not even get dirty. After that, an easy one flipping mirrors which I had to slightly rotate my brake and throttle housings and reposition turn signals.

Next up was adding the Harley Davidson Chopped Fender Edge Brake Light. Cost $89.99 and had to special order it. (took a week) this was a requirement as I imported the bike to Canada. I had made speedo labels which worked for inspection as well. The light is not nearly as bright as the turn signals but I kept their functionality as well so I think visibility is adequate.

Last night I installed the RSD Turbine air cleaner. It is larger than I expected, (had to go buy a 3/16" hex socket for my torque wrench) but looks really good. No real hiccups installing other then it wasn't clear in the instructions or service manual if I should remove the mounting bracket behind the stock filter, which it turns out you do. I have SE slipons so also installed VIED which was pretty simple. Seemed like there was some debate on XIED or X14IEd so just bought the adjustable for $20 more and now I can tweak as necessary.

It's pouring rain today so haven't had a chance to take it for a rip but it definitely sounds better (or maybe that's just my garage echo) What are opinions on rain socks? have a MSF course on the weekend and looks like rain.

I have a box of more stuff waiting to install, when I get some free time here will tackle the following and post up some pics.
  • Joker speedo relocator with dummy lights. - don't have a lift so plan on removing the top triple tree and bars and sliding it on from the top. Any fault to this logic? things to watch out for?
  • Milwaukee 1" Drag bars with dimples. got a plain black bar clamp. 27.375" wide, 5.375" pullback
  • Coke Bottle Grips
  • DK 1.5" tank lift
  • DK coil and ignition relocation
  • La Rosa Solo bag with fuel bottle. (do you guys take your leather bags off in the pouring rain?)
  • fork mount signal relocater brackets

Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM
dbrunell 88
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That air filter looks good and the bike great

Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm lost on why you would need to remove the top tree to relocate the speedo. The speedo/clamp combo on the Iron is part of the riser assembly. no need for a lift with this either. Chock the front tire if needed, but you can do this with it on the jiffy stand.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
pardus
Cruiser

the Joker speedo relocator attaches to the left fork tube between the top and bottom triple tree. from what I understand, you have to drop the tubes below the top tree or maybe can just take off the top one to slip it on.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Kontankerous
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh...if it doesn't have a clamp with two halves, then all you need to do is support the bike (easy cheap way is 2 eye bolts, 2 opposing walls and ratchet straps), jack up front, prop with some 2x4 or the like, loosen pinch bolts on the fork tubes, slide them down just enough to slip the Joker clamp over then install everything in reverse, re-torque your pinch bolts.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM
pardus
Cruiser

Is there any concern about the fork tubes twisting or not being aligned when you put it back together?

However, it seems easier to to just take the top off, will be doing a tank lift and new bars anyway so will have the tank out of the way.

Originally Posted by Kontankerous
Ahh...if it doesn't have a clamp with two halves, then all you need to do is support the bike (easy cheap way is 2 eye bolts, 2 opposing walls and ratchet straps), jack up front, prop with some 2x4 or the like, loosen pinch bolts on the fork tubes, slide them down just enough to slip the Joker clamp over then install everything in reverse, re-torque your pinch bolts.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:11 PM
KNIGHTSTER5
Intermediate

Pardus, congrats on the Iron! The LED brake light was the first mod I did to my Nightster but mine does not get brighter when I press the brake. I think I need some kind of load regulator thing?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 PM
pardus
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KNIGHTSTER5
Pardus, congrats on the Iron! The LED brake light was the first mod I did to my Nightster but mine does not get brighter when I press the brake. I think I need some kind of load regulator thing?
did you get the HD one like mine? it had a wire harness that bypasses the wires to the rear signals. if you did, ensure that all three of the wires from the LED were properly set into the connector housing under the seat. If your signal lights operate as brake lights then it should to.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM
pardus
Cruiser

Well got some good progress. this weekend. built a 2x4 motorcycle lift inspired by this youtube video.
was a little sketched so used Kontankerous tip to strap it to the wall so it was secure. It was a litlte freaky tearing it all down but all went back together pretty well.

Dropped the front end and slipped on the joker speedometer relocation bracket with dummy lights. With drag bars and stock flipped mirrors, a little buried but can still see if I move my head a bit. The drag bars are 27" wide and the mirrors have a hard time getting around my knees. going to look at some wider stem mirrors. Any recommendations?

Installed the DK coil/ignition relocation along with a 1.5" tank lift to hide the wires. Ran out of time so will go back and wrap and position them better this week.

Next on the list is sorting out my mirror visibility issue and a new seat and fork mounted turn signals. might also ditch the headlight cover. Torn between a RSD cafe seat and spring solo, not sure which direction I want to go. Also considering a 2-up so I can take my old lady on some short rips around town.

Last edited by pardus; 06-24-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: flipped images
Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM
JBarbaresi
Cruiser

do you have any updated pictures? i'm particularly interested in seeing the 1.5" tank lift from the side.

Quick Reply: My Iron is going under the Knife... well, more like wrench