Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters - SBC vs Harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Lifters - SBC vs Harley

I had a chirping noise going on that I traced down to a bad lifter. Thus I began the process of replacing all 4 lifters.

In my research, I came across a post by CHarley referencing small block Chevy (SBC) lifters can be used. There are several other threads in different forums discussing the issue, mainly for Twin Cam engines. A quick PM to CHarley confirmed some anecdotal evidence that it works flawlessly, and I went with it.

I got 4 SBC lifters from Jegs the next day (the warehouse is the next county over from me, perks of Ohio) and dug in to the bike a couple days later.

Before I put the lifters in I took apart one of each to compare the internals. The following is what I noticed.

This is a picture of the Harley "A" lifters, stock in my bike:Lifters - SBC vs Harley-xutuzdx.jpg

From left to right you can see the 1)retaining clip, 2)pushrod seat, 3)piddle valve 4)plunger/spring, and 5)lifter body.

The way these parts work is both simple and complex. For a better description, research how a hydraulic lifter works.

The plunger is inserted into the lifter body, where the clearance is .0002" or so. The hole in the side of the lifter body is what allows oil to flow into the lifter. This oil fills the plunger. From there, the oil flows out through the piddle valve and through the hole in the pushrod seat up the pushrods.

As is visible, the parts in the stock HD lifter are pretty clear. The following is a picture of what I ordered, Crane Cams #10530 SBC lifters:Lifters - SBC vs Harley-9wqdoav.jpg

As you can see, almost all of the parts are exactly the same. The only difference is the feed hole in the lifter body. A close up of the difference can be seen here, Crane Cams on the left and HD on the right: Lifters - SBC vs Harley-lcwq3gt.jpg

The actual size of this hole doesn't particularly matter because the space it feeds is so small (remember, .0002" clearance with a .842" bore does not add up to a lot of oil volume. The piddle valve is what controls oil flow to the top end, and as you can see that is exactly the same. The bleed down rate is controlled by plunger-to-body clearance. I didn't have the tools to measure with that accuracy, so I can't comment on that.

As far as anecdotes go, I have been running them for about 1000 miles now. They are quieter than the HD lifters, and there's no problem from idle to redline. I even had the rockers apart a second time about 300 miles after install (stupid dealer and pushrod o-rings/seals, that's a whole different clusterf***) and there was plenty of oil and no abnormal wear up there.

As far as I'm concerned, I will gladly pay the $11/lifter for SBC lifters vs a minimum of $30 for any HD spec lifter.

Note: This applies to 2000+ Sportsters. Prior to that a different lifter is used.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Scuba thanks for the write up. Good info., and money saving tip.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Definitely. They're still running great even in super cold weather this time of year. Probably got ~5000 miles on them by now with not one issue.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Good to hear you've had as much success with the LS1 lifters as I have.
They're sure cheaper and easier to get than the HD lifters, which BTW aren't the Johnson/Hylift lifters like they used to be, but now cheap Mexican imports.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:31 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are great
I'm going to take the research one step further.
I have a set of Jim's Hydrosolid's for my 1250 conversion
I have ordered 2 lifters from Comp Cams
the "875" and the "15850" to tear down and compare.
I will post some pix in the couple days

Old 11-29-2013, 01:59 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

IIRC, the 875 is the lifter referenced here, it's from the SBC LS1 motors.
I'm not sure how the 15850's from the older LT1 motors compare.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Definitely. They're still running great even in super cold weather this time of year. Probably got ~5000 miles on them by now with not one issue.
SCUBA! Do you remember me man? You are still posting!? I always hated you lol. I sold my sportster about a year ago but it definitely feels longer than that. I learned so much on that bike and miss the sound soooooo dearly. My current bike is a CBR600rr (crotch rocket) and it sounds good too but that harley sound is just one of a kind. Now I am selling my Honda CBR600rr and soon after I want to get a dual sport bike. A little 250cc. The Harley was too loud and sport bike is too fast. With a 250 you can riiiiiiiiip through the gears while still doing below the speed limit.

cHarley oh man. I missed you too buddy.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Are these three same lifters that are in the Touring Twin Cams?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Road Star
Are these three same lifters that are in the Touring Twin Cams?
Yep. All twin cams run the same one.

Note, these lifters have probably 30k+ on them in my bike now, including the 1250 build. Still great.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
Yep. All twin cams run the same one.

Note, these lifters have probably 30k+ on them in my bike now, including the 1250 build. Still great.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-875-1/
That's a pretty good price for four lifters.
$72.72

Then again, only $40 more for the ones from S&S.

Quick Reply: Lifters - SBC vs Harley