Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BlkSheep's Iron

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:38 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BlkSheep's Iron

I got my Iron with a bunch of mods when I purchased it. It was similar to what I envisioned for the bike I wanted. That was, of course, before digging deep into the Sportster world and seeing all that is out there for mods.

So, I have wanted to take a few ideas and implement them in my build as I make this Sportster, well....... "mine".

I can't find the pics of my bike when I first purchased it but I know they must be around somewhere. If I find them I'll post em up so you can see the changes the bike underwent.

I'll document the changes of course with photos and an explanation of what you are looking at.

Last edited by BlkSheep; 10-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer
Default First change.....

Well as this bike was from Maine, US and I imported it to Canada it had to meet both the provincial inspection as well as the federal inspection, which are independent of each other. The provincial inspection it passed after I replaced the after market tiny mirrors that were on it with the stock mirrors. No issues there.

The federal inspection, now that was another story and boy did I fight with Deeley Harley about this one.....but of course big business always wins so I was forced to give in. Deeley Harley Canada, and the Gov't of Canada (two different agencies) decided somehow that a specific tail light is required to meet the code in Canada and that the parts have to be "genuine HD parts" and the installation has to be done by a "certified HD dealer" and is to be accompanied by a "receipt" for the labor.

Explains my Signature......

So after some messing around and trying to comply with the law but giving into the demands of HD Canada and the Federal gov't inspection agencies, I decided to abandon the fight and give in.

As a result I had to find a Canadian fender with taillight housing and install that on my bike. I did by chance locate one for this purpose only. I got the fender and removed my beautiful American short fender with an under the fender taillight I purchased and put on the Canadian fender I acquired to comply with the federal inspection.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer

The winter I just surfed on the web and looked at different Sportsters and got a bunch of idea of where I'd like to eventually go with my bike.

First up was replacing the inspection cover, derby cover and timing cover. I decided to go with the Willie G. covers in wrinkle black for the derby cover and timing cover. The inspection cover I went with plain wrinkle black.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer

I am not much of a "wrench" as you guys like to call it so my next mod was a total internal debate for me.....Custom Dynamics lights or DK Customs 2" tank lift, coil relocation, ignition relocation and wire tuck.

After much thought I decided on the DK Customs route and figured I'd do the work after much encouragement from these forums and some great people. Wachuko inspired me to try my own handy work.

Before I started:

The process, which I decided to use splice loom and silicone tape, self bonding, no sticky adhesive:

Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 PM
siasimba
6th Gear

Hey. your fairing is not placed properly. It has a gap.

I have been looking for a picture of a harley sportster with mini-apes and those fairing FOREVER!. hahaha.. ironic that i Finally found one.

It looks pretty okay I suppose.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer

After I completed the installation of the DK Customs parts I was unsure how I wanted my "finished" look of the wire tuck to be..... I tried a number a different ways and this was the first.......

I was not happy with the look of the splice loom, did not have the desired look I thought it would. Also the short piece of plastic wiring harness that I replaced, I did not like it either.

Therefore, I went back at it and wrapped the entire splice loom in silicone tape and removed the small piece of plastic wiring harness. I am satisfied with how it looks now.

**I will add photos of this when I can get a descent unobstructed photo outside so the details aren't lost in the garage clutter.**

To be continued......

Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer

I have Road6Customs 12" Holy Rollers bars to install next as they just arrived.

I have SG OEM 12" shocks, Custom Dynamics LED front/rear turn signals, and a RSD upper belt guard that is expected to be delivered soon.

The list of wants...... well that is huge.....

Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 PM
BlkSheep
Tourer

I should mention that I entered my Sporty in the local HOG show and shine after installing just the tank lift....as I was unable to complete the coil and ignition relocation and wire tuck, due to DK not sending the right spark plug wires to me initially, but they cleared that up very quickly and got me the right ones within three days. Great customer service!!

I took first place in the Sporty class and was impressed to say the least..... not alot of competition there but still...I was impressed as it was prior to most of the mods i want to do. Next year I have my sights set high......... I want more competition and to repeat this feat.

Last edited by BlkSheep; 09-10-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Bike is coming along great! Can't wait to see the latest set of mods in place.

So you had to do the fender swap just for the inspection!!?? And that is a one time thing?

Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 AM
BlkSheep
Tourer

Originally Posted by siasimba
Hey. your fairing is not placed properly. It has a gap.

I have been looking for a picture of a harley sportster with mini-apes and those fairing FOREVER!. hahaha.. ironic that i Finally found one.

It looks pretty okay I suppose.
Yes and I took it apart and fixed this. Those were old pics from the bike before I started posting on here and was informed that it was installed wrong. The guy had an extra nut still on the headlight bolt which would not allow everything to sit right. He also had two different spacers on each side so it was not level either.

Quick Reply: BlkSheep's Iron