Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 PM
W1ldC4t
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander V Update

After running the DK Customs Outlaw 587 with Cycle Shack's and Xied's I figured that my bike might benefit from a different kind of fuel management. So, after some research on here and elsewhere, I decided to go with the PCV. I ordered the unit from Indysuperbike.com (where it was listed at more than $100 less than Power Commander's site).

Shipping was a tad slow, but I ordered it over the labor day weekend, so I can understand the delay.

When it arrived, I installed the software on my computer and downloaded a canned map that PC's customer service said most closely matched my set-up. This took all of 5 minutes. Easy, easy.

Install:

The instructions were clear, and I had little to no trouble getting the bike prepped for the installation. Then I started hooking up the harness in the order that is specified in the instructions. Well, that's where the first issue arose. I have installed a coil relocation kit from DK Customs. Turns out, Power Commander has built the harness wire lengths to fit a stock coil location--makes sense. But, with the relocated coil, the wires on the harness that are supposed to go to the crank sensor don't have enough slack to follow the frame under the tank and down to the crank sensor plugs. Ugh.

Ok, undo the install, and put it all back together stock. Called PC and they acknowledged that the wires might not be long enough and suggested routing them along the bottom of the jugs. I looked at it, and found that it just looked a little sloppy and half-assed doing it that way, so, I cut and spliced an additional 9-10" of wire into the harness to give me the length that I needed.

With the newly extended harness I went back to the install. Easy, easy. Unplug a connection here, insert the PCV there. No problems. Ok, so It's all hooked up and I have to get the batter back in. Oh boy. the instructions say to velcro the PCV on top of the battery, but, jeeze, is that a tight fit trying to get both back into the battery housing. It took some wiggling, and pushing, and swearing, but, eventually I got everything situated under the frame rails and the battery cover to snap closed again.

Riding:

The first time I started it up after the install the idle was pretty rough and the bike did not seem too happy. But, I let it idle away for a couple minutes and it settled right down to what seemed like a normal idle. Hopped on and rode away. The throttle feels...fuller? thicker? more responsive? I don't know how to describe it, but there was a small, but, noticeable difference in how the bike responded to a more open throttle position. I liked it, and more importantly, the bike seems to like it. In traffic the engine is definitely running cooler than before. It's still hot, but, I don't have the "furnace on my leg" sensation that was going on with my previous set-up. I'm sure if I sat in traffic long enough that the engine would run just as hot, but, it seems to tolerate stop and go traffic just a bit better now.

I should note that after the first time firing it up, the bike starts as normal and idles as it should, I have not experienced the rough idle after the first time.

Performance:

On the highway, I find myself hitting the rev limiter more often now than ever before, partly because it feels like the bike pulls stronger longer into the gear. Whereas before I tended to shift before the rev limiter because it felt like the power was declining. No idea if this is just placebo, or if I'm just playing a bit more with the "additional" power. Also, I notice a lot less top-end shake when my revs drop in a given gear. Before, I could feel the engine struggle if I was cruising at say 65 in 4th and traffic slowed to 50, when I would get back on the gas the engine would have a bit of hesitation and I could feel it work for the additional speed. Now, that shake is almost completely gone, and it feels like there is more power on demand.

Overall:

The install was pretty easy aside from the wiring oversight and the tight fit with the battery. Performance is there, it's not revolutionary, but the bike seems peppier. In traffic, the bike is definitely running a bit cooler--which was my goal in the first place. If I were doing it all over again, I'd still be inclined to try the XIEDs first, and then move on if they don't get you the result you're after. For me, this was an easy solution and I'd recommend the PCV if you're trying to get into a piggyback tuner of some sort.

-Wildcat

Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

Does the PCV require disconnecting/terminating the O2 sensors like the PCIII does?

Old 09-16-2013, 03:09 PM
W1ldC4t
Intermediate

Yes, the PCV requires you to unhook the O2 sensor plugs and has you insert what PC terms "O2 optimizers" into the end of the plug that goes back to the ECU. Simply unhook the O2 sensor, plug the optimizer in and tuck the cable and plug from the pipe into your wiring along the frame / in the battery box (front and rear, respectively).

Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 PM
0EightN
Cruiser

I thought the PCV had an auto tune so you didn't have to worry about down loading maps and all that jazz?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

W1, sounds like you are getting the results you were looking for!

0E,

There is an optional AutoTune for the PCV. The Power Vision comes with AutoTune build into it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive just fitted a pcv to my iron with se a/c, khrome werks slip ons after removing xieds,s and as you say there is a defo difference, much smoother acceleration, less heat and more power in open throttle.
Really happy with mine, only problem was i oredered from fuel moto and the uk customs stung me!!

Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyglen
Ive just fitted a pcv to my iron with se a/c, khrome werks slip ons after removing xieds,s and as you say there is a defo difference, much smoother acceleration, less heat and more power in open throttle.
Really happy with mine, only problem was i oredered from fuel moto and the uk customs stung me!!
hg, not to derail the thread, but which Khrome Werks slip-ons did you get, and are you happy with the sound of them?

=8^)

Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the khrome werks 2.5" slash cut slip-ons, just right size for bike and look great, quite loud though so i fitted the khrome werks noise reduction kit which is only about $20 and only drops a few decibels but got the sound just right for me and slightly improved the low torque. Great pipes and defo happy with them.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

If your hitting the rev limiter a lot make sure rev extend is enabled in the program & save it to the PCV.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Greeley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for some help regarding the installation of a PCV. I have an 08' nightster and I installed my PCV last night on my bike. Everything went smooth as butter EXCEPT for getting the giant connector to fit under the seat. There is the stock connector that unplugs from the stock computer and the PC has a seperate black connector that plugs into that now. The instructions say to have this connector sit in the triangle part of the frame below the seat right on top of the stock wiring harness. I rerouted the stock wires in every way I could think of last night and moved that big *** connector around in every way I could think and no dice. I could not get the seat to sit all the way down and clip in because the giant connector was holding it up. Anyone have this issue and if so any solution beyond just force fitting? Thanks

Quick Reply: Power Commander V Update