Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by tloc1000
Tried to leave from work yesterday and click, click, click. A co-worker was able to push start me to get home.

Took the battery out and tested it...good battery. Another victim of loose battery cable syndrome. Put the battery back in with dielectric grease and tightened that bad boy down. Also tightened the ground to frame bolt just in case.

She started right up, no problems!
Always better the cables than the battery!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-29-2017, 08:38 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by cvaria
it was.Wards is still on mega backorder. Last i checked, he was denying orders.

​​​. My bike has become a furnace. No time to wait for the backorder situation to pass
Your Sporty, or your Dyna?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Dudepants
Road Warrior
Received 587 Likes on 330 Posts

duplicate post

Last edited by Dudepants; 03-29-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:23 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Your Sporty, or your Dyna?
The sporty. It hit 437° that's not normal. the super scientific "hand in front of the exhuast pipe" test yielded less force on the rear cyclnder pipe than the front.

I'm going to go in and reset the lifters, and re-adjust the pushrods. If that doesn't resolve it, i will reset the cam timing. I was pretty sure i did it buy the book but, iam not ashamedof saying i have no idea what i'm doing. Just following my gut. Laughable

Old 03-29-2017, 10:19 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

The sporty. It hit 437° that's not normal. the super scientific "hand in front of the exhuast pipe" test yielded less force on the rear cyclnder pipe than the front.

I'm going to go in and reset the lifters, and re-adjust the pushrods. If that doesn't resolve it, i will reset the cam timing. I was pretty sure i did it buy the book but, iam not ashamedof saying i have no idea what i'm doing. Just following my gut. Laughable
That's just like my stop and go traffic before I got the cooling fan....what kind of traffic were you riding when you got 437.....hope it's not normal traffic cause the temp is definitely not normal for a sporty.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:41 AM
tloc1000
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Always better the cables than the battery!
True!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:02 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
That's just like my stop and go traffic before I got the cooling fan....what kind of traffic were you riding when you got 437.....hope it's not normal traffic cause the temp is definitely not normal for a sporty.
no stop and go, i was doing 70 down a parkway 40 or so on back roads. It just kept climbing.

the highest ive ever seen it was about 395. One of my vids with the tru beam even has the temps at 384. May have gone higher when I wasn't looking. Thats fine i think. The issue with the 437 was the rate at which it climbed and the fact that it didn't drop while i was going as fast as i was.. it was climbing instead of cooling.

ive seen it jump up like that in stop and go but it will drop down quickly once i start moving because the thermostat on the oil cooler is open. You can feel the heat from the oil cooler when the thermostat opens.
the thermostat was open on the 437° run.

Bazaar. I took it out on sunday:

it seemed okay but, definitely need see what the story is before it blows up on me. The learning continues.
​​​

Old 03-29-2017, 12:39 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

no stop and go, i was doing 70 down a parkway 40 or so on back roads. It just kept climbing.

...snip...
it seemed okay but, definitely need see what the story is before it blows up on me. The learning continues.
​​​

It'd be nice to get a WBO2 sensor on it to see if its running lean...

good luck,

T.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 PM
DramaLlama
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode it to work and back, then it wouldn't start back up.

1998 1200S

Turn the key, speedo lights up, makes a buzzing noise. Neutral and engine lights don't come one. Headlight doesn't come on. Switching it to run does nothing. Won't start. Turn signals work but stay solid, not blinking. Fuses are all good.

BUT

Found gas leaking all the way to the fuse block area (none got to the fuses). Seems to be leaking from the petcock into the main wiring loom all the way down to where the loom ends right before the fuse block.

Just bought this bike earlier this week and not starting out well.

Here you can see photos of the end of the loom where it seems the gas is getting to and also the leak at the petcock.

Gas leaking out of loom

Petcock leak

Old 03-29-2017, 01:26 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

the highest ive ever seen it was about 395. One of my vids with the tru beam even has the temps at 384. May have gone higher when I wasn't looking. Thats fine i think. The issue with the 437 was the rate at which it climbed and the fact that it didn't drop while i was going as fast as i was.. it was climbing instead of cooling.

ive seen it jump up like that in stop and go but it will drop down quickly once i start moving because the thermostat on the oil cooler is open. You can feel the heat from the oil cooler when the thermostat opens.
the thermostat was open on the 437° run.

Bazaar. I took it out on sunday:
https://youtu.be/QS1M_H03F2M

​​​
Yeah, that's pretty hot. The hottest my 1250 Sporty (no oil cooler) has gotten was 420*, and that was when I got stuck in a traffic jam on the interstate in 100+* ambient temps, after riding about 8 hours at 75-85 mph.

When I saw it hit 420 I pulled to the side, richened up the afr, retarded the timing and left it that way til I got out of the traffic.

Nice thing about the Sportys, they seem to hold up better under extreme heat than the Twin Cams. hscic has had his get that hot (or hotter) but it still did well on the leak down test.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?