Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
just be careful with the clutch cable on the derby side. try not to go Arnold on it. it will strip out with very little effort. snug is good.
OK, good to know, thanks.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you buy the whole kit like I mentioned or did you find just a few plates to just fill the void from removing the spring plate?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:01 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I received all the parts and tools needed to do my clutch. I'm at 22K miles, and I want to remove the spring plate before it turns into a grenade. I don't like going into engines, primaries, etc., but this is something I have to do before it's too late. I've watched vids, read the steps in the service manual...now I just need the 'nads to do it.
Haven't done it on a newer bike, but the procedure is the same. Easy peazy!

Go for it!!

Old 03-30-2017, 12:04 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
you'll be fine.
it's easier than changing your oil, lol. just more tedious. i believe in you.

you've already adjusted your chain before, right?
Originally Posted by deadrubberboy
You can handle it. I did it, and we've got the same bike. I was really nervous about it too, but it was actually pretty easy.

I'm getting ready to change the gaskets on my rocker boxes to address a small leak on the front one. I'm nervous about opening up the engine, but I'm sure it will be fine. With each completed task my confidence grows a bit, but I'm far from "comfortable".
I, too, have an 07 1200C and I'm concerned about the spring plate assembly. I only have 11.5k miles on the clock and I haven't noticed any negative symptoms or problems (yet), but this seems to be an issue that is better taken care of before you notice things startin to turn south. Should I look into replacin it ASAP or should I not worry about it for now?

Also, I've done my rocker box gaskets to fix a leak on mine and I was the same as you: worried and stressed about opening up the engine. But, it sounds like you have the knowledge and know-how (and a manual) from other projects, so you should be fine if you take your time. Most important is reassembling with proper torque specs in proper order and making sure lifters are in the correct position when tightening down. You got this

The following users liked this post:
deadrubberboy (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Oddman
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-Stranger
Wasn't today...but just getting around to posting about it.

Last week I installed a new seat, passenger pegs, docking kit, backrest and Burly slammers.
The seat's a LePera Cherokee.
It's comfort is descent, but not quite as comfy as the springer solo that it's replacing.
THAT springer solo was an amazing seat, but... it was a solo.
Good for me, bad for me and the wife.
The new seat will remain since the springer is such a pain in the *** to remove and install.
If the solo was a quick install, I would change it out often, but that's NOT the case.
It has it's own bolt, nuts and washers that's shared with the rear of the tank and the rear bolt install is difficult because it's directly underneath the seat and very tight.
Taking off the springer meant replacing the existing bolt with a new shorter factory original bolt so that LePera would slide on and over with out chewing up the underneath.
The LePera wouldn't fit AT ALL without the new bolt.
I had intended to keep the set-up primarily solo and swap out to the Cherokee only when it was time for 2 up riding, but I don't want to mess with unbolting the tank every time I change the seat.
So, I guess this is the new look for now...

Thanks for posting this up. Had considered a solo springer seat to swap to when I ride solo but didn't know if they were a pain to swap out. Your bike looks good with the LePera, love that old school look of the "72". How does the Mrs. like the Cherokee?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
Did you buy the whole kit like I mentioned or did you find just a few plates to just fill the void from removing the spring plate?
I am only replacing the SP with 2 steels and a friction disk. At 22K miles, most of that being highway, I just didn't see the point of another $100 for a new clutch pack. If I still have this bike in 5 years, when I'm pushing 100K, then I'll do a full clutch.

For this job I also got the Cometic gasket kit, and new inner seat ring & c-clip. If all goes well, the money I saved will go towards a set of ISO grips.

Thanks all for the encouragement. Now it's just a matter of finding a little time and desire. The weather is still crap here so it's not like I could be riding.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Just before hitting the starter button, I tore the air cleaner back off and removed the towels stuffed in the Throttle Body throat.

Skipped a step in the Idiot Checklist.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:16 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratwerke
Just before hitting the starter button, I tore the air cleaner back off and removed the towels stuffed in the Throttle Body throat.

Paper or Fabric?...could have been a different outcome but maybe not

Old 03-30-2017, 01:21 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratwerke

I've skipped that step a few times myself (with paper). Thankfully nothing bad happened...when it wouldn't start I went looking.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Two 1/3 sheet light paper towels.
Caught it just in time, thumb about 1/8th inch from starter button.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?