Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 AM
1off
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Hopefully picking up my bike towards end of the month. It's with some relatives on the other side of the state where I bought it. Planning an all day ride in February. My husband died last year, and I'm riding on our anniversary next month to some of our favorite roads and spots. Heading up to the mountains so expecting some pretty low temps and wind. Got good leather and boots so covered there, but hands are different story. I've used the hand warmer packets in my gloves before, and they work pretty good, but someone mentioned heated hand grips. Are they worth looking into? If they don't do any better than the packets, than forget it. My hands lose feeling pretty quick when it's real cold, so that's the weak spot. Got a windshield this time, so that may help some. Just wanted to ask about the grips.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Dyno Don
Cruiser
Default Heated Grips

First of all...please accept my condolences at the loss of your husband. Thank you for asking your fellow forum members for advice that he would have given you if he were here. I hope you get to ride many happy miles with your new bike.

I have heated grips on my SG and love them. I have a problem with good circulation in my extremities and the grips were the answer for me. I paid $170 for the kit which was installed at the HD dealership. They work great and are adjustable from ranges of 0+6 on the dial. I run mine at a 2 setting when I need them. They allow me to ride earlier in the spring and later in the fall.

Good luck and Good riding too you..

Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1off
Hopefully picking up my bike towards end of the month. It's with some relatives on the other side of the state where I bought it. Planning an all day ride in February. My husband died last year, and I'm riding on our anniversary next month to some of our favorite roads and spots. Heading up to the mountains so expecting some pretty low temps and wind. Got good leather and boots so covered there, but hands are different story. I've used the hand warmer packets in my gloves before, and they work pretty good, but someone mentioned heated hand grips. Are they worth looking into? If they don't do any better than the packets, than forget it. My hands lose feeling pretty quick when it's real cold, so that's the weak spot. Got a windshield this time, so that may help some. Just wanted to ask about the grips.
Didn't see you say what type of bike? I run National Cycle Hand Deflectors. I was out in 29 deg weather after installing them and was riding about 70 mph to test them out. Worked well. Diverts the wind over your hands (like a windshield for your hands). No wind on the gloves/hands makes a big difference! Still wore my gauntlets, but no liners and my fingers and hands did not freeze like they would have as usual.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:20 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say I don't make it a habit of riding in 29 deg weather, but wanted to test them right after I installed them to see if I had them adjusted good enough as the are adjustable. I do ride to work on my 2007 XL1200r almost daily and it is around 100 miles round trip mainly on highways/freeways averaging 65 mph. I have a Nolan 104 full face modular helmet and good gear although nothing heated. I would be warm, but my hands and fingers would freeze. Opted to try these and am pleased. Don't feel I need heated grips or gear now...but that's me. If it is above 32 degrees and not raining I will usually ride.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I've used heated grips on several bikes with success. They are always there when you need them, even on a summers night, if the temperature drops suddenly. So by all means fit them, to improve your comfort.

However there is no substitute for warm gloves! Buy yourself a pair of proper winter gloves. You can also use your heated grips, plus deflectors as suggested by subguy. Your local friendly Harley dealer may have them (Ladies Avalon look reasonable on the HD website), but my wife and I use BMW gloves, which come with HD Racing orange liners! Buy fabric waterproof/windproof gloves, not leather, as that just takes the heat away from your hands.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 PM
1off
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dyno Don
First of all...please accept my condolences at the loss of your husband. Thank you for asking your fellow forum members for advice that he would have given you if he were here. I hope you get to ride many happy miles with your new bike.

I have heated grips on my SG and love them. I have a problem with good circulation in my extremities and the grips were the answer for me. I paid $170 for the kit which was installed at the HD dealership. They work great and are adjustable from ranges of 0+6 on the dial. I run mine at a 2 setting when I need them. They allow me to ride earlier in the spring and later in the fall.

Good luck and Good riding too you..

Good deal....thx for the info

Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 PM
1off
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by subguy
Didn't see you say what type of bike? I run National Cycle Hand Deflectors. I was out in 29 deg weather after installing them and was riding about 70 mph to test them out. Worked well. Diverts the wind over your hands (like a windshield for your hands). No wind on the gloves/hands makes a big difference! Still wore my gauntlets, but no liners and my fingers and hands did not freeze like they would have as usual.

Didn't know about hand deflectors, but will check it out
70mph @ 29degrees makes a pretty good case...
Didn't have windshield on first bike, but this one has one, so maybe that will help also

Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 PM
1off
2nd Gear

Oh yeah, I got a XL 1200 C

Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 AM
1off
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've used heated grips on several bikes with success. They are always there when you need them, even on a summers night, if the temperature drops suddenly. So by all means fit them, to improve your comfort.

However there is no substitute for warm gloves! Buy yourself a pair of proper winter gloves. You can also use your heated grips, plus deflectors as suggested by subguy. Your local friendly Harley dealer may have them (Ladies Avalon look reasonable on the HD website), but my wife and I use BMW gloves, which come with HD Racing orange liners! Buy fabric waterproof/windproof gloves, not leather, as that just takes the heat away from your hands.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip.

Thx for the suggestions, always open to something better

Old 01-11-2014, 02:53 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I do a lot of cold weather riding. Have tried many ways to keep the hands warm on long cold days. Best thing I have found is the Gerbing heated gloves.

Wishing you a good ride in February!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Question