Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:53 PM
pflatout
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chrome help

Hi all, what do you you use on your chrome to clean it,i want a brilliant finish,thanks.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the easy chrome parts to remove I use a good 60 grit, scuff the crap out of it and put a couple coats of high temp flat black, gloss on the ham can. No more worrying about it.

For the rest I use Maguires from walmart. The paste stuff like twice a year. I ride too much to even try to keep it showroom shiny.

For fairweather riders where there is minimal dirt build up windex does great between rides.

Last edited by Dusty Bones; 03-08-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:42 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

I am a fairweather rider. and use the good-old glass-cleaner spray. Just spray, leave for a couple of seconds and wipe with a clean terry cloth towel. Just did it last weekend after a 325-miles day ride and am pretty happy to see the Chrome shine again ...

Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Boeshield T-9®

I really do not care how my bike looks, most of times. But there are times (once or twice per year) when I feel I should do something to make my bike look cleaner. Then I use Boeshield T-9®, it has amazing protective qualities.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:44 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nevr-Dull works great.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:05 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on the condition of your chrome... I go from "daily driver" to "garage queen" (depending on my work schedule)- and my bike always looks better than show room.
my secret, is after a ride, I pull into the garage and use a quick detailer spray. if I get any chrome pits or anything other than normal dirt, I use one of several chrome polishes. just about any chrome polish will do. its the daily maintenance that keeps my chrome better than new.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 PM
vicenzajay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep

Originally Posted by wanabe
depends on the condition of your chrome... I go from "daily driver" to "garage queen" (depending on my work schedule)- and my bike always looks better than show room.
my secret, is after a ride, I pull into the garage and use a quick detailer spray. if I get any chrome pits or anything other than normal dirt, I use one of several chrome polishes. just about any chrome polish will do. its the daily maintenance that keeps my chrome better than new.
This ^^^^

It's all about keeping it a certain way - vice trying to "bring a finish back". I ride a lot - but pretty much detail out my bikes after every ride (or once I get home after a trip). Just about any major chrome polish works for chrome. I used to show cars (won a few shows as well) - without an exception, the vehicles were used on a daily basis...it just took a constant cleaning and detailing schedule to keep them show ready. My 1200C I picked up late last August looks better now than it did when I picked it up - and the Buell Blast I got last June now looks amazing for a bike that had been stored outside for more than 10 years (and was in very rough shape when I bought it). It just takes a little bit of effort on a constant basis.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 PM
racin45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this between washing
http://www.armorall.com/product-types/wax-polish/
and Never-dull for chrome and alimunum

also the windex works good BUT it strips Wax also ..

Old 03-09-2014, 12:06 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cpracing519
Nevr-Dull works great.
+1. NeverDull rocks.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:11 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

To to op, all good suggestions within the previous posts. The most important part is keep the bike/chrome clean and all finishes will last a very long time.

Quick Reply: Chrome help