Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which exhaust port gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Maine-Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust port gasket??

Going to be installing a Python 2 into 1 exhaust system on my bike. Which exhaust port gasket should I use? Instructions I found online said don't use stock harley cone style gaskets. Then it gives a part # for there gaskets. Do I use stock harley ones, screaming eagles, there gaskets or something else ?

Old 04-24-2014, 03:55 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

scream eagle ones will work just fine

Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Well, as a male, I rarely follow directions or instructions. But, in this case, I think I would do what they suggest and order their gaskets. If they specifically say not to use the Harley gaskets, I think I would follow that advice. They can't be much difference in price.

Kind of lame of the manufacturer not include gaskets, especially if the Harley ones aren't usable. Why can't companies even go one little extra to make the buyer's experience easy. Now you have to get something else before you can even put on pipes. Lame. I'd call them up and bitch about not receiving gaskets and HTF do they expect a consumer to use their product if it's incomplete. I bet they send you some.

John

Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Unused the scream in eagle ones or.James makes.good.copper.ones as well. Either will work fine. Only.run around $10. Use care when installing to seat them in the head before installing headpipes. The pipes will go in exhaust port slightly deeper which is fine. I recommend serrated flange nuts to ensure nuts stay put. 5/16x24 thread.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Maine-Rider
Advanced

Anyone else ?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

There are typically 2 types of header pipe ends used on Harley compatible exhaust pipes.
On one type, the pipe has what I call a bull nose (rounded) end, the pipe doesn't go into the exhaust port, it butts against the the port/gasket. This type of pipe works best with the stock HD gasket.
With the second type of header pipe, the pipe end looks like plain pipe and the end of the pipe is actually inserted into the exhaust port, usually about 1/4" or so. With this type of header, the SE HD gasket usually works best.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Maine-Rider
Advanced

I googled the part number they recommend (DS-173220). The gaskets made by "James Gaskets". Look just like the screaming eagle ones. Should I go with the James gasket or are the SE ones better?

Attached Thumbnails Which exhaust port gasket??-image.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Maine-Rider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maine-Rider
I googled the part number they recommend (DS-173220). The gaskets made by "James Gaskets". Look just like the screaming eagle ones. Should I go with the James gasket or are the SE ones better?
Anyone?

Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Call the mfr and ask. Don't ask random opinions. I would use the James
They make good stuff.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 PM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
There are typically 2 types of header pipe ends used on Harley compatible exhaust pipes.
On one type, the pipe has what I call a bull nose (rounded) end, the pipe doesn't go into the exhaust port, it butts against the the port/gasket. This type of pipe works best with the stock HD gasket.
With the second type of header pipe, the pipe end looks like plain pipe and the end of the pipe is actually inserted into the exhaust port, usually about 1/4" or so. With this type of header, the SE HD gasket usually works best.
best explanation I've seen. I tried the SE's (my dealer recommended them if you have ported heads - I've got S&S heads). I had a hell of a time trying to get a good seal.
My Supertrapps are the rounded end type. NOW I know why the standard gasket works better.
Thanks cHarley

Quick Reply: Which exhaust port gasket??