Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Harley Iron Passenger Pillion Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM
spankege
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Harley Iron Passenger Pillion Problems

Good Afternoon everyone!

Let me give you some background on me before I begin. I purchased my first motorcycle when I was 16, been riding for 5 years, I am now 21 and decided to get something that was meant for style and comfort, not speed. Went with a 2014 Harley Iron, more than satisfied with the feel, stance, looks, comfort of the bike. I do have some issue with the passenger pillion that was included in my deal.
Followed the poorly written instructions to the T. I got the last page and they had a picture of the leather strap being mounted to the fender and not the solo seat. Tried both ways, when it was mounted to the fender the seat seems to be more stable but was still moving more than I would like. Okay, so this is the big issue, why would the seat have any movement at all? Is there suppose to be some sway in the seat? It seems to be loose where the pillion meets the solo seat. Not sure if this is right. Another part is where the pillion is mounted to the fender. Why wouldn't a plastic washer or bushing be included to prevent scratching? I went to the local hardware store and got some rubber bushing which will help a lot to prevent scratching. So what I am trying to get here is, is there suppose to be movement on the seat? I don't feel comfortable have anyone ride on it with me as it is right now. Might be taking it back if that's how it is.
Any tips or comments are appreciated. So excited to ride something that has some awesome style! I will defiantly be a Harley rider from here on out. Thanks guys and gals!

Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So, exactly how much movement are you talking about? Do you ride two up often?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM
spankege
4th Gear

A good 1/2 in side to side maybe a little more. Is it suppose to move at all?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spankege
A good 1/2 in side to side maybe a little more. Is it suppose to move at all?
I think that's a two piece solution. Sorry, I don't have any experience with that. So you want to be able to take to Pillion off for solo, but add it back for two up? Are there rubber bumpers on the fender? Are rubber bumpers included with he pillion?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 AM
spankege
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I think that's a two piece solution. Sorry, I don't have any experience with that. So you want to be able to take to Pillion off for solo, but add it back for two up? Are there rubber bumpers on the fender? Are rubber bumpers included with he pillion?
Yes that's the idea but it would most likely be on all the time. There are no bumpers with the seat. I had to add a rubber bushing to the rear bracket because it would be metal on paint. I went to my local dealership because I was in the area. Mind you I didn't have the bike because it was raining. Ask the service tech about it and he was totally rude to me. Not sure if it's my age or what. So far not impressed with the service departmenet at this dealership.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 AM
ahle926
Advanced

I have a '13 Wide Glide. So I don't know if it's the same, but I have a little tab at the rear of the pylon. A screw screws into a hole in the fender. This keeps the pylon from moving side to side. Also, the screw for the front seat has a **** on the end. This slides into a notch in the pylon to lock it in place. I can take pics when I get off of work if that'll help.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM
spankege
4th Gear

Yes there is a bracket on the rear that attaches to the fender. That is mounted correctly. I did not get something to lock it in place. It seems to be loos where the pillion meets the solo seat and also were the solo seat locks into the seat post. Might be going with the shadow runner seat if this is how the seat sits. Makes me uncomfortable taking a passenger and not feeling confident about the seat. Thanks for the responses!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 AM
dbuzzell
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I used one last year minus the strap, because I bought it used & it was missing. Anyways there's going to be a little movement between the seat & the pillion. The plastic grove that the pillion slides into isn't a very tight fit but I rode 2 up fine

Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same pillion for the stock seat that came with my iron deal. I don't like it... It will work but there are some flaws as you have noticed. I made a plastic washer for where it bolts into the fender behind the pillion to protect the fender out of a clear plastic bottle. Can't see it but it works very well.

I bought a different seat for riding solo and keep the pillion mounted to the stock seat to make it a little easier. I also shaved some material from the stock seat as I posted on this forum about a week ago because there was just so much excess foam around the edges of the seat. I'm going to think of a better way to mount the pillion to the stock seat eventually.

The strap was just dumb in my opinion the way it came. The dealer had it wrapping around the top of the pillion and stretched to the stock seat. It wasn't very secure and maybe helped a little with holding the pillion to the seat but it would slip forward in front of the pillion pretty easily and than be loosely over the stock seat :/ So what I did was just wrap it around the pillion and secure it under the pillion right in the middle. There is no way to secure it in stock form. I made a hole a little farther up the strap than one of the stock holes on the strap then put a bolt through that and one of the stock holes at the other end of the strap to secure it in place. I twisted the strap around to show the bolt but normally it's not visible as you can just twist the strap around the pillion though it's snug. I also covered some hardware on the bottom of the pillion with the soft side of sticky velcro. Pictures that explain better than me--->

Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I usually take the seat strap and screw into the sides of a wooden box to make a tool box handle.
Not too sure what to say about the P-pad moving, other than get a two-up saddle. Excess movement would make me nervous, too. That's were the precious cargo (women, beer, whatever) sits.

Quick Reply: 2014 Harley Iron Passenger Pillion Problems