Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiff throttle/sticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Stiff throttle/sticking

1998 883

So tonight I noticed my throttle was really stiff and sticking.

I checked the throttle lock. Whether it's all the way out or all the way in it makes no difference. The cables look like there's no binding. I checked at the carb that both cables move. So the return hasn't come out.

I'm going to try to lube them tomorrow with wd-40. It's the only lube I have readily available

Any other ideas I should try

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

There should be a **** right under the throttle housing, where your thumb would be if you were holding the the grip. Adjust that so that you throttle grip snaps back to "closed throttle" position immediately after you let it go.

Beyond that, I have no idea.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
1998 883

So tonight I noticed my throttle was really stiff and sticking.

I checked the throttle lock. Whether it's all the way out or all the way in it makes no difference. The cables look like there's no binding. I checked at the carb that both cables move. So the return hasn't come out.

I'm going to try to lube them tomorrow with wd-40. It's the only lube I have readily available

Any other ideas I should try
If the cables are original, it may be time for new ones.
WD40 is not what I would recommend, a much better choice is Dri-Slide, which can be found at most places that sell firearms (Sporting Goods stores, gun shops, etc).
Dri-Slide goes on wet an dries to a graphite like powder. It won't attract dirt like oil will, which is what gunk's up cables to begin with.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Originally Posted by cvaria
There should be a **** right under the throttle housing, where your thumb would be if you were holding the the grip. Adjust that so that you throttle grip snaps back to "closed throttle" position immediately after you let it go.

Beyond that, I have no idea.
I already checked the throttle lock. The position. Of the the throttle lock makes no difference. It's still stiff.

I did notice today when I went out to check on it. Haven't done anything and the throttle works fine now.

Last night it was a little cold. Is there something that the cold would cause to get stiff

Old 05-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Update. I went ahead and used WD-40 to lube both throttle cables. Seemed to have made a difference. The throttle now snaps back. Only time will tell if it still sticks during colder weather.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:15 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Cold weather causes the oil and dirt in the cable to turn thick and gummy. That is exactly why you shouldn't use oil to lubricate them.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Well. It's gotta be wd-40 until I can get a can of cable lube. I'm really strapped for cash and my bike is my only mode of transportation for now.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Cold weather causes the oil and dirt in the cable to turn thick and gummy. That is exactly why you shouldn't use oil to lubricate them.

you and your big brain. it make sense wy i suddenly had that issue when i was recently in NC. i fiddled with adjuster repeatedly

Old 06-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Update:

Completely lubed both cables with the proper tool and proper lube. Used a whole can between the two cables. Also took out the carb and cleaned the butterfly valve. Also lubed between the bars and the grip

The dang thing still sticks really bad when it's cold. Last night it dropped to 60 degrees and my throttle was really stiff.

The only thing I can think of next is replacing the cables.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
The dang thing still sticks really bad when it's cold. Last night it dropped to 60 degrees and my throttle was really stiff.

The only thing I can think of next is replacing the cables.
Sounds like a good idea. 60 degrees is not very cold.

Your bike did not get knocked over on the throttle side? The grip is not sticking to the bar end? That happened to me.

John

Quick Reply: Stiff throttle/sticking