Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone switched out thier 2014 rear rotor on a 48?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Has anyone switched out thier 2014 rear rotor on a 48?

no where else to turn...i'm having big problems with the rear rotor, bracket and stock caliper and cant figure out what to do. Harley went with a smaller rear rotor for 2014 and abs brakes and I bought a set of lyndall racing rotors that were 11.5 and supposed to fit. low and behold, they don't. the stock rotor is 10 1/4" so we tried the older sportster bracket but it doesn't work. we called drag specialties, & they got in touch with the owner of lyndall, and he said he didn't know Harley changed the rear rotor size for 2014. perfect. that was last week. now drag specialties is saying they cant get ahold of him, he's disappeared. i tried messaging them on facebook, they wont respond, yet they've responded to every other question from other people. today I got in touch with performance machine because rough crafts told me that they make a sportster brake kit that might work, so they sent me a diagram with specs and a pic of the rear bracket they have to adapt. I have to show it to the mechanic before I buy it, and then i'll probably have to go with pm calipers also for another $1000, if they even work with the 11.5. ive had a lot of people give me great info on switching 2013 and earlier rear rotors, but it didn't work, nobody so far has done an actual 2014. that's who I need to hear from. someone who has actually hands on, put a new rotor on a 2014. any info would be greatly appreciated since my 48 has been laid up for 3 weeks now.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
no where else to turn...i'm having big problems with the rear rotor, bracket and stock caliper and cant figure out what to do. Harley went with a smaller rear rotor for 2014 and abs brakes and I bought a set of lyndall racing rotors that were 11.5 and supposed to fit. low and behold, they don't. the stock rotor is 10 1/4" so we tried the older sportster bracket but it doesn't work. we called drag specialties, & they got in touch with the owner of lyndall, and he said he didn't know Harley changed the rear rotor size for 2014. perfect. that was last week. now drag specialties is saying they cant get ahold of him, he's disappeared. i tried messaging them on facebook, they wont respond, yet they've responded to every other question from other people. today I got in touch with performance machine because rough crafts told me that they make a sportster brake kit that might work, so they sent me a diagram with specs and a pic of the rear bracket they have to adapt. I have to show it to the mechanic before I buy it, and then i'll probably have to go with pm calipers also for another $1000, if they even work with the 11.5. ive had a lot of people give me great info on switching 2013 and earlier rear rotors, but it didn't work, nobody so far has done an actual 2014. that's who I need to hear from. someone who has actually hands on, put a new rotor on a 2014. any info would be greatly appreciated since my 48 has been laid up for 3 weeks now.
It is not just 2014 that has the smaller rotor. The '11-'13's are smaller
as well. I believe the 2010's were the last year with the 10.5" rear rotors.
What I have done is buy the 2010 caliper bracket and spaceer. Part numbers are as follows.
Caliper Bracket Part Number: 42835-08
Spacer, Rotor Side Part Number: 41730-08

I do not know if the '14 caliper will fit the older brackets. The '14
bracket appears to be totally different, so I don't know if the older bracket
will retrofit onto the '14s. I guess you could buy the older caliper, bracket,
& spacer and just swap the whole assembly....

I know it's not much help, but hopefully its a start for your research.

good luck,

T.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:54 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

thanks, yes, the 2014 bracket is totally different. this is the problem. I would buy the older caliper, bracket, & spacer and swap it if it would work with the 11.5 rotor, but I don't think it does. I think we tried that and the older bracket didn't fit. i'll go to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say, it still has to be cheaper than a performance machine setup, the calipers alone are $450 each, without hardware.

Last edited by scottylonebull; 07-18-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:40 AM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

HD had to replace my rear rotor at 650 mi. on my FLHXS

Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 931 Posts

thanks, yes, the 2014 bracket is totally different. this is the problem. I would buy the older caliper, bracket, & spacer and swap it if it would work with the 11.5 rotor, but I don't think it does. I think we tried that and the older bracket didn't fit. i'll go to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say, it still has to be cheaper than a performance machine setup, the calipers alone are $450 each, without hardware.
Don't always believe what the dealer tells you. They're not parts
swappers (among the various models). I've got the XR front caliper on
my Sportster and on my Softail Slim & they said "it doesn't fit".
Of course there's probably hundreds of folks on this forum that
have done it...

Using Ronnie's HD online microfiche (http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm)
it appears that the only difference in the new '14 swingarm is the
front pivot ('14s use a single thru-bolt). SO, I belive the older
bracket/caliper assy will work with with the '14 swingarm.
Of course you could just order the bracket & see if your caliper
will work. If the spacing is off, then you would you need to order
a '13 style caliper.

Wachuko used the older braket on his '13 Sportster48 to allow him
to use the 11.5" rear rotor, you can see his mods with part numbers
in this thread
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...rty-eight.html

Heck, have looking at the microfiche, I might even see if the XR rear
caliper will work - it has better visual appeal since it has the bar/shield logo cast into it....

good luck,

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 07-18-2014 at 06:03 AM. Reason: clairification
Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Your bound and determined to make this work arnt ya?

I think your only option left aside from having a custom rotor made is to get a bracket/caliper from a 2010 or older. If your concerned if the bracket will fit the swingarm go measure yours and Ill post what mine is.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rog48
Your bound and determined to make this work arnt ya?

I think your only option left aside from having a custom rotor made is to get a bracket/caliper from a 2010 or older. If your concerned if the bracket will fit the swingarm go measure yours and Ill post what mine is.
yeah, lol...I would buy the whole 2010 setup if necessary today, the issue is if it would work, I remember them saying no because of the bolt setup

Old 07-18-2014, 08:18 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Don't always believe what the dealer tells you. They're not parts
swappers (among the various models). I've got the XR front caliper on
my Sportster and on my Softail Slim & they said "it doesn't fit".
Of course there's probably hundreds of folks on this forum that
have done it...

Using Ronnie's HD online microfiche (http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm)
it appears that the only difference in the new '14 swingarm is the
front pivot ('14s use a single thru-bolt). SO, I belive the older
bracket/caliper assy will work with with the '14 swingarm.
Of course you could just order the bracket & see if your caliper
will work. If the spacing is off, then you would you need to order
a '13 style caliper.

Wachuko used the older braket on his '13 Sportster48 to allow him
to use the 11.5" rear rotor, you can see his mods with part numbers
in this thread
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...rty-eight.html

Heck, have looking at the microfiche, I might even see if the XR rear
caliper will work - it has better visual appeal since it has the bar/shield logo cast into it....

good luck,

T.
yes I saw he used it for his 2013. but the 2014 is different. that's why I said I only wanted to know if anyone changed their 2014 to an 11.5
when I discussed using the older harley caliper, his answer was it wouldn't work because of the bolt setup on the 2014.

my problem is I cant just keep ordering parts to see if they fit, I need to know they'll work. or this will turn into a $5000 rear rotor setup soon enough lol

Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 289 Posts

FWIW...as above you are determined to make this work.

No one mentioned...

To recap as I understand, the pads, lines, caliper, rotor, ABS system all seem to be adaptable. Except, the issue is the caliper bracket and you are finding a cost of nearly $1000 to adapt the components to an OEM bracket. I gather what you are finding is an alignment/ centering issued of the caliper to rotor.

....So, can you modify, machine/ create from scratch a 2014 custom bracket?

Again FWIW and good luck.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

yeah, lol...I would buy the whole 2010 setup if necessary today, the issue is if it would work, I remember them saying no because of the bolt setup
Thing is if you bought lets say a caliper and bracket set up from a 2009 then the bolt pattern would be a non issue. The bracket does not bolt to the bike, its trapped by the swingarm and axle.

Quick Reply: Has anyone switched out thier 2014 rear rotor on a 48?