Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased a used combination digital speedo/analog tach

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 PM
MachU
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased a used combination digital speedo/analog tach

I purchased a used combination digital speedo/analog tach , I also installed the fuel level sensor and resistor kit.
This has turned out to be a lot of brain damage, first off, when you hook up the data copy connector and turn the ignition on it doesn't read "check", or "ok", only the red security light came on for a second.
So I proceeded to finish with the install thinking that this may be because its used. It took forever to get the fuel gauge finally turn "on", I followed the instructions to the letter over and over again,but, no luck, I think the way my ignition is and the instructions are, is 2 different things, lol. now I cant seem to get the tank size calibrated and the colour set and save?, also when I start the bike the display reads "vin err".
Will the "vin err". go away after I put some miles on it?, or did I just buy a pig and a poke?
Harley instructions say.
Installation into vehicle harness LCD states "vin err". Gauge was already "married" (accumulated 31.1 miles (50 km)) to another vehicle.Reinstall on previous vehicle to confirm no "vin err".
This isn't possible as the gentleman already sold the bike.
Has anyone else purchased a used gauge and had any luck with it?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe that once those speedo / tachs are married to a VIN it's permanent. You cannot reset the VIN ERR message. I'm not sure that you will ever get the gauge to work once it's married to a VIN.

I wanted to purchase one of those until I read on this forum about all the issues with them especially with the fuel level sensor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think those things are more trouble than they are worth.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Bagged64
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that Dakota Digital mileage has to be set before 100 miles and after the 100 miles it is married to that bike.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 PM
MachU
Cruiser

Awesome

Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Robert Strohl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
I believe that once those speedo / tachs are married to a VIN it's permanent. You cannot reset the VIN ERR message. I'm not sure that you will ever get the gauge to work once it's married to a VIN.

I wanted to purchase one of those until I read on this forum about all the issues with them especially with the fuel level sensor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think those things are more trouble than they are worth.

This is correct. Once it's past that 31 miles (or whatever is stated in the instructions) it's married to the bike and can't be used on another bike. Sorry to say you should get your money back as you probably won't get anything but that vin err. You can try disconnecting the battery completely then reconnecting the battery and then seeing if that fixes it.