General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Optional HD brand Speedo assy questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Royw
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Optional HD brand Speedo assy questions

i am not sold on the factory installed speedo assy on the XL1200T Sporty. HD has an optional one they sell that has a tach displayed as well as the Speedo and its capable of a zillion different color combinations. The thing is the Sportster does nit have a fuel gauge. But this other speedo assy has a fuel level gauge but you need to buy the additional wire harness for it. Does this give me an actual fuel level gauge or just a low level light? Also will this speedo assy pick up my current mileage and gear selection indicator. Pretty pricey at $349.00 plus $149.00 for the wire harness. I have a hard time reading the current gauge when the sun is out and creating a glare. Any info greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I don't have one of those gauges, but am seriously considering one, so have read all about it. Some of the members over in the Sporty section have them, so post over there, where you should get some better feedback. Check the H-D website, go to the Shop tab, where you can read the installation instructions. That speedo comes with everything you need to transfer mileage etc.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Royw
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I bet its a faulty Speedo assy.

I installed three of these already 1 in a Freewheeler and 2 in 2 Heritages and never had a problem. i posted the OP as I am unfamiliar with Sportsters. I doubt the resistence of the wires has anything to do with it. This is not a first time rodeo for Harley and the wiring and gauges. Odds are the new speedo/tach is faulty. Get your dealer to try a new unit.