Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani Firepower Slip-Ons

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 AM
3bc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bassani Firepower Slip-Ons

I have been hemming and hawing over different exhaust setups and think I've finally settled on the Bassani slip-ons. Based on what I have read/seen they have the look/sound/performance I am looking for. I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have them on a '14 48 yet? I assume they should be substantially the same as the '13 and before model, but it is technically a new unit.

2. I will eventually get black heat shields for my header pipes but for now I am thinking about just taping them up with black heat shield wrap. Any reason not to do that? i.e. you can't wrap a pipe and then put a heat shield over it later, or you can't remove the tape once it's been put down.

3. Is there anything out there for 2014 models I may not be considering? The cost of the slip ons plus the heat shields will eventually total about $500. That's more than short shots and almost as much as some other full sets out there. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of options for 2014 bikes compared with previous models, so wasn't sure if I was missing something or just generally crazy for considering spending that kind of money on a slip-on setup for a sporty.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Vance & Hines, Cobra, & Cycle Shack all make sip ons for the 2014 Sportsters.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:08 PM
3bc
Cruiser

I have looked at the Vance and Hines and Cobras online. A buddy of mine has cobra pipes on his 72 and they are LOUD, which I like, but the two of us have been copying each other on so many damned purchases lately that it's starting to be downright creepy, if a bit funny, so I'm avoiding the Cobras. Bassani seems to have a better reputation than V&H and the slip on shoutout I read a while back suggested the fit and finish of the bassani's are nicer, and the HP boost and dB level exceed the V&H as well. I ultimately ordered bassani's from Revzilla this afternoon. Will share my feedback when I have had an opportunity to install them and give them a blast.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

3bc , which ones did you order?
I might go with the Bassani 1X17Q , but I've never seen any around here at all on a sportster.
The Bassani slipons are beautiful , nice style , good performance from what I've heard.
Definitely give us your opinion.
Colin

Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 PM
3bc
Cruiser

I ordered the 1X27SBB, slanted cut in black. I will eventually black out my entire bike one upgrade a time. I will try to do a video before/after. Those are normally always so bad, and I sold my sound card recently to record good quality audio, so I'll see if I can find another solution.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM
3bc
Cruiser
Default Two words

Holy ****.

My neighbors are going to hate me. I haven't even gone for a blast yet. Waiting for my buddy to swing by. Just "burned in" the black finish by firing the bike on and off a few times as the instructions state, warming the pipes up and letting them cool down. These things sound MEAN. Deep and loud as all hell. Will check back in later after I go for a spin.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 3bc
Holy ****.

My neighbors are going to hate me. I haven't even gone for a blast yet. Waiting for my buddy to swing by. Just "burned in" the black finish by firing the bike on and off a few times as the instructions state, warming the pipes up and letting them cool down. These things sound MEAN. Deep and loud as all hell. Will check back in later after I go for a spin.
Post up some pics. If you need a set of XIEDs for the 2014, I have set for sale.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 PM
3bc
Cruiser

Some more observations/unscientific review:

1. Damn, these things are loud and sound great. On a stock 48 you hear the motor and not really the pipes, or just barely. These are so loud it's basically the reverse, you can not hear the motor or just barely. I could see it getting too loud on a long ride at high speed without ear plugs. I don't wear ear plugs but do have a full face Bell Bullitt.

2. Right across throttle range, these pipes gave my 48 some extra giddy up, which is good because I was expecting it haha. It's not exactly night and day but it is definitely very noticeable. Even my buddy (who has his 72 tuned up to about 110 HP) commented on the extra performance gains.

3. There is some popping/backfire on deceleration. It happens often enough to be annoying. I am going to have to get the bike tuned soon, but will be getting a new air intake before I do.

4. I was extremely underwhelmed with the pipes from just a pure product standpoint. Came shipped in a plain cardboard box, no branded packaging of any kind. The instructions were basically 2 sentences that said "undo the bolts and take off the old mufflers. Put the new ones on and put the blots back on." They were wrapped in foam and newspaper pages when I opened it up. The slash cut billets on both pipes were turned in the wrong direction. One nut/bolt allows you to move the angle of the slash cut end. There is no Bassani logo of any kind to be found anywhere on these pipes. I didn't buy these for fancy packaging or a shiny logo. In the back of my mind I actually kind of like that people will walk up to my bike not knowing what's on there. But the overall impression I got was that they sent me a prototype almost. Maybe this is nothing unusual, however.

I will post pics in the near future. Right now I have the black slip ons but still have the chrome heat shield covers from Harley, so it's a little dorky. Waiting to pick up some new heat shields or powder coat what I have.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 AM
Toma48
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please post up some pics and vids! How much did you get them for?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 AM
3bc
Cruiser

I got em for 340 from revzilla. Got $15 credit toward my next purchase too which I've already used ha. I'll try to post a video tonight. It won't do it justice. Doesn't even sound like the same bike.

Quick Reply: Bassani Firepower Slip-Ons