Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derby, Chain Inspection, and Timer Cover torque specs ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:07 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Derby, Chain Inspection, and Timer Cover torque specs ???

Before anyone gets on me YES I KNOW I値l be getting the service manual soon.

14' Iron 883

Hey guys I wanted to see if you could help me out. I値l be swapping out my
DERBY COVER
CHAIN INSPECTION COVER
TIMER COVER
and wanted to know if you guys knew the torque and bolt sizes and if Loctite is needed for these covers.
The only two I keep finding specs for is the Derby Cover in which I keep seeing Torque: 84-108 in/lbs. Bolt: Torx T27 and the Chain Inspection Cover, Torque: 40-60 in/lbs. Bolt: ???

Well any help you guys could give would be great thanks.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I would only tighten them gently hand tight (one hand on head of 1/4" drive ratchet) and no Loctite. Most people swap out the T27 for buttonhead or caphead allen screws. Please leave the torque wrench in the toolbox. Not sure about the timer cover, mines done with poprivets.

Torque Wrench ***** have broken more than they've fixed IMO. Especially on tiny screws like these. You don't need one for everything, only the big stuff.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 08-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember it is inch pounds not foot pounds.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:59 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Please leave the torque wrench in the toolbox. Not sure about the timer cover, mines done with poprivets.

Torque Wrench ***** have broken more than they've fixed IMO. Especially on tiny screws like these. You don't need one for everything, only the big stuff.

John
John I miss your posts and since of humor.I try to troll back here at times. Come jump the fence and visit Dyna side.I double dog dare ya. Use anti seize on derby, tighten criss-cross star pattern. Use blue on inspection cover and follow spec as too tight will leak. Timer has nothing behind it so really doesn't matter. Don't rely on what may be fastener head size. Verify and common sense will let you know. If you didn't use right size you didn't use your common sense.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser

I get what you池e saying about the torque ***** and I usually do things by hand tightening but being that this is my first HD I guess I figured I wanted to do things by the book.

I have a in/lbs. torque wrench that I could use for these settings and if I知 right I think its 12in/lbs. per 1ft/lbs.
Saw that on Google.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Andy Knell
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog85
I get what you池e saying about the torque ***** and I usually do things by hand tightening but being that this is my first HD I guess I figured I wanted to do things by the book.

I have a in/lbs. torque wrench that I could use for these settings and if I知 right I think its 12in/lbs. per 1ft/lbs.
Saw that on Google.
That's right because 12 inches makes a foot. Attached pic is from a '13 manual. I don't imagine it has changed for the '14 models. Be careful on the inch pounds if your wrench doesn't give a good solid click in the lower range or you'll torque the heads off the screws.

As for being a ****, with six bikes in my garage, I torque when I can because it's an objective method to ensure it's the right amount of stretch for the screws/bolts. My wrenching isn't that finely calibrated. Too much and they'll break and not enough they'll vibrate out. I've seen exhausts come loose on the MX track because they were tightened by "feel." The bolts were either completely missing or heads were sheared off. One in particular resulted in a full system destroyed which sucked because it was a Yosh slip-on with a stock header.

Inspection covers, probably not a big deal but IMO anything that's a Jesus nut is a bigger deal. I agree with John on the big stuff but add that anything that goes into the case is a big deal too. If you shear off a head, that can be a real pain in the ***.

Attached Thumbnails Derby, Chain Inspection, and Timer Cover torque specs ???-screen-shot-2014-08-24-at-10.00.06-pm.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

the first 2 items I would just tighten until snug and a little more..it seems that they get tighter on their own...meaning even when you don't tighten them very tight they are a bear to get out later...

Old 08-26-2014, 09:25 AM
DevilDog85
Cruiser

For all you that chimed in THANK YOU for the tips and advice, it is very much appreciated.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog85
Before anyone gets on me YES I KNOW I値l be getting the service manual soon.

14' Iron 883

Hey guys I wanted to see if you could help me out. I値l be swapping out my
DERBY COVER
CHAIN INSPECTION COVER
TIMER COVER
and wanted to know if you guys knew the torque and bolt sizes and if Loctite is needed for these covers.
The only two I keep finding specs for is the Derby Cover in which I keep seeing Torque: 84-108 in/lbs. Bolt: Torx T27 and the Chain Inspection Cover, Torque: 40-60 in/lbs. Bolt: ???

Well any help you guys could give would be great thanks.
Do Not Use Loctite !!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default straight from the harley site.

all here:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...ER/file-7.comp

register your bike and you'll find all this stuff there.

here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...me/owners.html

>> sign-in / create profile (upper- right hand corner)

Quick Reply: Derby, Chain Inspection, and Timer Cover torque specs ???