Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The time has come for new rear shocks... Which ones!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You're used to Ohlins? Then buy them! I have them on my Glide and they most certainly are not overkill, just very good shocks. HDF has a sponsor in Motorcycle Metal who custom builds Ohlins for us, so just pick up the phone and talk to Howard there. He offers member discounts and will ensure you get suitable springs, as well as providing an excellent service.

If you buy cheap shocks will give you a cheap ride, but you obviously already know that, so don't buy down market, just because you have a Harley! If and when you come to sell on your Sporty you can sell the decent shocks separately.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You're used to Ohlins? Then buy them! I have them on my Glide and they most certainly are not overkill, just very good shocks. HDF has a sponsor in Motorcycle Metal who custom builds Ohlins for us, so just pick up the phone and talk to Howard there. He offers member discounts and will ensure you get suitable springs, as well as providing an excellent service.

If you buy cheap shocks will give you a cheap ride, but you obviously already know that, so don't buy down market, just because you have a Harley! If and when you come to sell on your Sporty you can sell the decent shocks separately.
You're right. The more and more I research the more I'm thinking Ohlins it will be for the rear shocks. I'll probably pair them with some Ricor Intiminators for the front forks and call it a day.

I'll give Motorcycle Metal a buzz and see what he suggests! Thanks for the heads up. You can NEVER go wrong with Ohlins, I know this much.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PumpinIron
You're right. The more and more I research the more I'm thinking Ohlins it will be for the rear shocks. I'll probably pair them with some Ricor Intiminators for the front forks and call it a day.
That's exactly what I've done with my Glide! Include single-rate fork springs matched to your weight, I got mine from Race Tech (they have a calculator on their website).

Old 09-01-2014, 01:54 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That's exactly what I've done with my Glide! Include single-rate fork springs matched to your weight, I got mine from Race Tech (they have a calculator on their website).
My plan is very similar for the front. Ricor Intiminators and then some new fork springs matched to my weight. Pair that with some Ohlins shocks and I feel like that should be a damn good suspension.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Afrika
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Significantly so.