Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The time has come for new rear shocks... Which ones!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The time has come for new rear shocks... Which ones!?

Okay, so the time has come to upgrade the stock shocks on my 2008 XL1200N Nightster.

I've been doing a lot of researching and it seems I have a lot of options. Progressive, Works, Ohlins, etc.

I'm not sure how many inches the stock Nighster shocks are but I would probably like to stay with the same size shocks because I like the 'low' look of the bike. However, at the same time I would like to make the bike a bit more comfortable to ride, especially over bumps and two up.

Now, I've owned tons and tons of Ducati and Aprilia sport bikes in the past and I know that when it comes to sport bikes Ohlins is king. I love the way Ohlins shocks look and the way they perform. However, the cost of Ohlins shocks is quite high and I almost wonder if they aren't overkill for a Harley. I mean let's be honest... I don't expect my Sportster to handle like a sport bike, and therefore paying an absurd amount of money for the Ohlins shocks seems like overkill, no?

The Progressive 970 shocks seems nice and I've found a set for $700 from a guy who is selling them brand new in the box. However, the more I read about these the more I read people saying that other brands like Works are better.

Anyways, I know a lot of this is going to be subjective and come down to a matter of opinion. Moreover, I realize that most guys haven't actually tried numerous shocks back-to-back so they have nothing to base their claims off of.

All of this having been said, I'm just curious to see what you guys are running and how you like it. As mentioned, I want a shock that makes the bike more comfortable than stock and performs better as well.

So, what are you guys running and how do you like them?

Old 08-31-2014, 02:28 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser

Also, one particular shock I was looking at are these...

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...-series-shocks

They're a step below the 970 it seems but they look like they might be pretty nice.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

About the only shock specifically R&Dd and made for a sporty is Ricor. Go over to XLforum and read the 7 pages of suspension.

Ricors lowest offering is 12" which is 1/2" taller than you have now (I think). But at the angle the shocks are I dont think 1/2" will be noticeable.

http://store.ricorshocks.com/product_p/20-10-2005.htm

Old 08-31-2014, 02:54 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rog48
About the only shock specifically R&Dd and made for a sporty is Ricor. Go over to XLforum and read the 7 pages of suspension.

Ricors lowest offering is 12" which is 1/2" taller than you have now (I think). But at the angle the shocks are I dont think 1/2" will be noticeable.

http://store.ricorshocks.com/product_p/20-10-2005.htm
Thanks! I'll check that out.

So, this is probably a stupid question but I assume if I go with 12" versus the stock (which I am now reading is an 11") it will indeed raise the rear of the bike by 1"?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

No, your shocks are at an angle. Just guessing becuase I dont know the exact angle but Id say a 1 inch longer shock would raise the rear 1/2".

Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rog48
No, your shocks are at an angle. Just guessing becuase I dont know the exact angle but Id say a 1 inch longer shock would raise the rear 1/2".
Ahh, got it! I'll probably go with a 12" or 12.5" shock in that case.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You can stay low key and get Road King air shocks. With proper oil and pressure they will do a good job. You can get them slightly used or practically new for $60. That's what I'm using right now and I have no complaints. FYI, I like to ride fast - sometimes real fast - and grip and suspension performance are important to me.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Road King shocks are hideous at best. There is a reason people take then off too. They totally ruin the look of a Sportster. People use them because they are "cheap"

Old 08-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Afrika
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Progressive 444 on my 2013 Iron are very responsive and fairly comfortable. I have them in the original OEM size. Would buy them again.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 PM
PumpinIron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Afrika
Progressive 444 on my 2013 Iron are very responsive and fairly comfortable. I have them in the original OEM size. Would buy them again.
More comfortable than stock I assume?

Pretty sure I know the answer to that but I had to ask =]

Quick Reply: The time has come for new rear shocks... Which ones!?