Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean slate on 2nd 48

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:57 PM
1HDRIO
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow so much talk of sport bikes...ill just share my former garage then...and Ill be sure to "test" out this ABS system on the new sportster...

DSC_0455 by rio_rx, on Flickr

Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 PM
will335i
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since we are completely derailed. No matter how fast you get up to the speed 3x the posted limit is still trouble.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Ricketts
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow didn't mean to step on so many toes. First off I didn't say they sportster has better brakes, I said it out brakes most sport bikes. To most people on this forum anyway, that means how quick can I stop? I think what most are referring to is that sport bikes have better braking action. You can bring a sport bike to a quick stop using one finger. On a sportster you need to grab a hand full of lever and pull pretty dam hard. Anyway, Ill post some links instead of just what i think. Im out of town and using my tablet so this should be fun. The paragraph above took me 20 minutes. Oh, before i do that the main reason a sportster can out brake most sport bikes is simple physics. ?...its longer.

Again Im on my tablet so i just picked some of the first things i saw.
Heres a link to a 2010 superbike shootout. on the right hand side is a chart that shows braking distance.

Well this pos tablet won't let me copy from one tab and paste to another. Do a search for 2010 superbike smackdown you can find the chart there. Then do a search from motorcycle news on the 20102 sportster 72.

Which i could directly post the stuff here but you'll see the sportster is at the top of the list for 60-0 braking distance.

Lord that sucked, I've been at this post for almost an hour. Don't expect any replies from me for awhile :-)

Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Blackhawk48
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Wow didn't mean to step on so many toes. First off I didn't say they sportster has better brakes, I said it out brakes most sport bikes. To most people on this forum anyway, that means how quick can I stop? I think what most are referring to is that sport bikes have better braking action. You can bring a sport bike to a quick stop using one finger. On a sportster you need to grab a hand full of lever and pull pretty dam hard. Anyway, Ill post some links instead of just what i think. Im out of town and using my tablet so this should be fun. The paragraph above took me 20 minutes. Oh, before i do that the main reason a sportster can out brake most sport bikes is simple physics. ?...its longer.

Again Im on my tablet so i just picked some of the first things i saw.
Heres a link to a 2010 superbike shootout. on the right hand side is a chart that shows braking distance.

Well this pos tablet won't let me copy from one tab and paste to another. Do a search for 2010 superbike smackdown you can find the chart there. Then do a search from motorcycle news on the 20102 sportster 72.

Which i could directly post the stuff here but you'll see the sportster is at the top of the list for 60-0 braking distance.

Lord that sucked, I've been at this post for almost an hour. Don't expect any replies from me for awhile :-)
I dont think you stepped on many toes its just that most of us can't conceive that we can get our sporty's to stop quicker than our sportbikes. You can see there's quite a few riders that do both. To get the numbers your throwing out, like you said, I'd have to grab a handful of brake and pull quite hard to get the bike to stop that quick. While I'm sure I could do this it'd be another story trying to keep the non abs bikes from locking up. Those numbers were with pro riders at the helm not normal day to day riders. The point I'm trying to make, not offend, is that its not as safe to get my 48 to stop as quick as my GSXR with only two fingers. Thats just my 2 cents and my thoughts so dont take it the wrong way, I'm sure you've been riding awhile so your probably more comfortable on your 48 than me. I'm building the suspension up on mine and upgrading brakes too so I can make it a little bit more safer, if it was up to me all bikes should have dual front rotors...

Old 09-14-2014, 05:19 PM
1HDRIO
Tourer

Build thread! See first page!

Last edited by 1HDRIO; 09-14-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:47 PM
1HDRIO
Tourer

New goodies from DKcustoms!!
Untitled by rio_rx, on Flickr

Also got the HD chin spoiler...to be painted...

Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't ride a foreign bike where the money goes to a company overseas! We need to support local workers, factory's, and US companies that's why we ride Harley's and we are on a Harley forum!!

Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 PM
1HDRIO
Tourer

Paint finished (had a buddy do it)...

DKcustoms 2.5" lift this time around...!!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:59 PM
1HDRIO
Tourer

Got the PV2 hooked up!!

Side note: I was so used to only reading the oil temps so having the engine temp read out really freaked me out a bit at 350-400F...

Quick Reply: Clean slate on 2nd 48