Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to see your mustang tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 AM
j0llysnowman
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want to see your mustang tank

I'm trying to find as many pictures as I can of Sportsters with mustang tanks, but all of my search results for "mustang tank" return threads about Mustang seats and tank clearance

Anyway, if you have a Sportster with a mustang tank, I want to see it! And maybe know where you got it and how large it is................

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM
j0llysnowman
Novice

bump??

Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 PM
franktko
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is a really stupid newbie and off topic question (and it will bump your thread a little):

When you have two gas caps on your tank, does it means you have two completely separated/independent tanks on the bike or is it just for looks? If it's two tanks, do you have two fuel valves with reserve etc.??

Old 09-16-2014, 04:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by franktko
Here is a really stupid newbie and off topic question (and it will bump your thread a little):

When you have two gas caps on your tank, does it means you have two completely separated/independent tanks on the bike or is it just for looks? If it's two tanks, do you have two fuel valves with reserve etc.??
It could mean both of those options! 1. Early bikes with twin tanks actually had a gas tank and oil tank alongside each other. 2. Some later bikes have twin gas tanks, with a balancing pipe. While riding the gas settles between the two tanks, so only one gas tap to the carb is necessary, but both halves have to be filled separately. 3. Some more recent bikes have a single gas tank for looks with twin caps, the left one being a dummy.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:35 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

and some have one gas cap and one gas gauge.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 AM
charlieapes
Cruiser

I am about to put a mustang tank on my 2002. I think one of the reasons you aren't seeing many answers is because the mustang tank doesn't actually fit on a sportster. I am having to modify it. First thing i am doing is moving the petcock to the rear right so i don't lose a gallon of gas mileage. Second i am welding extensions on the front which will frisco the tank a bit and connect up to the holes on the frame. Then i need to weld two more brackets underneath the tank about 3/4 of the way back to line up with the second set of holes on the frame. This will give the tank the appearance that it is floating. I will post pictures when i am done.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:24 PM
j0llysnowman
Novice

I know several companies make Mustang-syle tanks for Sportsters (Paughco and Flying Piston, to name a couple).

Here are some I found off a Google image search!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 AM
cooliomattio
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Wow those are some different and unique cool looking gas tanks! More gas the merrier haha

Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 AM
j0llysnowman
Novice

Originally Posted by cooliomattio
^^ Wow those are some different and unique cool looking gas tanks! More gas the merrier haha
Yeah I've been trying to find neat EFI-friendly gas tanks since I picked up my 48. I landed on this company called Flying Piston, and eventually this tank: http://www.flyingpiston.com/store#!/...tegory=4417584

I really like the gap between the seat and the tank that the 2.1 peanut provides, and this 3.2 mustang is the same length/height, but a tad wider

Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 PM
charlieapes
Cruiser

wow that is some selection. They are all rather short though. The one i am fabbing i believe is 4 gallons. it's streched past most of those.

Quick Reply: I want to see your mustang tank