The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Well I did it too

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 04:18 PM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifter-10
Well just to let everyone know I now have about 1500 miles on the CT and air pressure down to 34#. It rides good, Momma likes it, but it will grab the road grooves, Damn Oil Field trucks.
Only problem I am having is a wobble at 85-90 mph. If I can get that solves it be golden
What Yokohama tire are you running? Some customers would install them on their cars for price only, and they would complain that the tires would vibrate/get a wobble. The problem may be just the tire, a road force tire balancer would show this.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Drifter-10
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Its the Avivid Acend.

And yes I am wondering if its the tire, just my luck,

If it dont staighten up guess I will take it off sell it and get a different brand and will probably go Run Flat when I do it.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:52 AM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Drifter-10
Its the Avivid Acend.

And yes I am wondering if its the tire, just my luck,

If it dont staighten up guess I will take it off sell it and get a different brand and will probably go Run Flat when I do it.
Pull the DOT code off of it for me, I have a way to look up known/reported issues, potential, open/current recalls on any car or truck tire. Other than having it road forced it's going to probably be difficult to be warrantied, car tire on a bike, tire distributor may have some left field argument... I would road force it, and if breaking it down rotating it on the wheel and trying again yielded the same result then it would be the tire.

Best example-BF Goodrich AT 90% of those tires require anywhere between 3-6 ounces of weights on each side of the wheel on a superduty. I would road force them mark the sidewall and rim release the air break the beads down lube up the beads and rim slide the tire until the marks lined up, re balance. If it still needed substantial weight to balance out or there was excessive road force and the customer wanted the truck back same day, I'd put those on the rear and the lighter weight on the fronts. I'd also split the weights as a 3 ounce weight is less appealing than 2 1.5s spaced 3 inches apart. If they didn't mind waiting, I'd get another tire shipped for excessive road force.

Dot tags also area good thing to pay attention to, as you will get the production date (last 4 digits week # and year) most problematic tires usually sat on a shelf for 3+ months

Old 06-28-2016, 12:09 PM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member

And as a suggestion, if I were to go that route, given the nature of wider tires yielding less traction (drive a dually in the snow or a car/truck with wide tires in the rain or snow) I'd suggest getting a tire that had an aggressive water evacuation tread pattern such as a Kumho ecsta (they were popular for ford focus/fiesta/fusions) it never failed to take the bike out and get caught up in a rain storm. You may not like the ride of run flats as the sidewalls are SUPER STIFF.