The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Possible wobble solutions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Possible wobble solutions

Much has been said about the exacerbation of loose front ends or bad front tires, worn bushings front and back, saddlebags and trunks causing or showing wobbles when running a CT, mostly on metrics.

One thing not addressed much is the occasional Austone's and a couple of other brands, wobbles from the tires themselves and what to do about it.
First is trying pressures, of course, and we find that a high speed wobble will happen at higher speeds with higher pressures, but - that's a tradeoff with tracking from too much pressure.
Having been given one of the problematic Austones from Dan Koich, I first tried beads, but no luck there. Took them out and had it computer balanced; some improvement, but wobble went from 70's to 80's, still running an astounding 50 lbs. for my sweet spot.
Next, I put in Ride-On tire sealant/balancer fluid.
Now I've run it up to 90 once before feeling "loose", and did a 740 mile camping trip to Fla. pulling the wife and trailer with speeds up to 85, and barely noticed the looseness. Home now, and I did another speed run, and found 90 to be too wobbly to stay there. This problematic tire started out with wobbles at 70.
I'd like to see some others with the wobbles try Ride-On after eliminating all other possibilities. My theory is that the thick, viscous fluid is, unlike beads, resistant to instant movement, including side to side, and able to eliminate some of the problem.
Plus I can't get a flat now.
One last thing: good idea to check steering head bearing tension; they do get loose.

Last edited by Quadancer; 09-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run Ride-On in my Motorcycle tires. How much are you using in a CT?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Unfortunately you need 16 0z. for them, so it's a bit pricey. Except...from what I saw in the demo video, I see absolutely no reason yet not to scrape it out and put in the next new tire - it was still viscous after a year in theirs. You would probably need to add just a little extra.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if I need that much it is still cheap insurance to me to get a better balanced tire and keep that thing inflated when it counts.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Barney Biker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a Car Tire stop the wobbles by their self.
Had the wobbles with a motorcycle tire and mounted a car tire and wobble gone.

Barney

Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lately my bike has started to develop a little wobble on some roads @ around 85mph.

I have a theory. Since CTs have more traction, more tread on the ground, it would carry slightly more weight, that might take a little pressure off the front tire making the steering head bearing feel too loose.

The same effect as jacking the bike up and taking weight off the tire. Some bikes come from the factory with a loose SHB and wobble right out the gate, others loosen over time. If you tighten the steering head bearing a bit the wobble might go away. I’ve never tested this but eventually I plan to. My bike is on 09 SG and the bearing has never been adjusted, so I think it is time.

I know if the steering head bearing is to loose it affects your bike’s ability to absorb a wobble. I’m pretty sure tightening the SHB is the cure. I think when I do mine, perfect is best but if I have to error one way or the other I plan to error on the over tight side. SHBs loosen over time (I think that is what mine is doing since I never had this problem before) but I’ve never heard of one getting tighter.

Last edited by jjnoble; 11-20-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I think you have the right idea - free to try, for sure. Numerous metrics have had improvements or cures by doing that.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just tightened the steering head bearing and took my bike for a test ride. It feels much better, still a little bit of a wobble starting to develop just above 90 mph. I should probably do it again and make it slightly tighter. I'm not sure how to tell when it gets too tight. I wonder what that feels like.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Just snug should be enough. I cranked one once and it was tight feeling in the slow turns, probably not a bad thing at speed tho. Still, grease needs to move around.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 AM
joearizon620
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a friend that brought his bike to me, he said he had a wobble, I found the head bearing had never been greased. I over greased it to get the new grease in & the wobble just about stopped. then I replaced the rear tire & you have to make sure the ring on the out side is all the same if when inflating the tire you don't have it seated all the way it will cause a wobble becouse you will never be able to balance it properly. It's the little things to look at.

Quick Reply: Possible wobble solutions