The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: Plug and Play tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:50 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
FWIW I have an FP3 that I got to do my stage 1 after the 1000 miles. At the start of last year I put a new cam in and struggled finding a good base map that would dial in nicely.

This year I bought a Power Vision.

The most important thing I noticed is that autotuning is so much faster with the PV, the cells are easy to see and easy to hit (you're not looking at the display while you are riding of course )

I also really like that you can change settings for what the autotune process will either take or ignore

I REALLY like that you can take the PV off the bike and hook it up to your computer and check/edit your tunes ...watching some dials on your mobile phone is one thing but editing and/or copying other peoples suggestions etc is a right royal pain in the wotzit doing it manually cell by cell.

I'm scared to bring up cams again but FP3 has a setting you can change, PV you can email Dynojet ...what those settings do is a bit of a debate.

(edit) I nearly forgot, FP3 doesn't do logs ...which I'm finding out is something of an essential for anything other than basic tuning, knock events in timing tables for example

All I can say is I'm getting on great with the PV

If you liked the jump from FP3 to Vision. You really should try the next step up of TTS. DataMaster would really shine for you. Best program out there in this industry to log and view data. Plenty of tools and options on how to collect and to view. Clear cut manuals, and help files that have clear directions on how to use the EGR and cam tune settings. No limit of what you can see and what you can't by what codes you have. No reason to email your calibration somewhere so they can guess at these settings.

Lets not form opinions on tuners by liking what you have spent money on and confirmation bias. Lets not base it on info about the products. Lets base them on actual knowledge of using the different tuning systems.

I understand that a 4 inch green/ black screen is attractive to many. Other have found that the bigger screen smart phones and an app can do this job better with Data Master.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:24 PM
slowride2016
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I've spent the past few hours reading through a lot of the posts regarding selecting a tuner. Here's what I have gathered so far:

Street Tuner - Waste of time and money. Only tunes for street/EPA legal settings.
FP3 - Easy to use but limited on tuning ability once you get to a certain point.
PowerVision - FP3 with mountable screen with more tuning ability.
Super Tuner Pro - More advanced capabilities than the previous tuners but not very user friendly. Excellent for more advance builds and tunes including data logging.
TTS - Comparable to Super Tuner Pro as far as capabilities but much more user friendly.

I could be totally off on these but that seems to be the general consenses that I have read so far. Some of the post are a few years old so the data might be outdated now...

Since I don't plan on getting into any major engine mods for a few years, I think I'll start with the FP3 and move up to the Super Tuner/TTS Unit when the need arises.

Last edited by slowride2016; 04-28-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo
Old 04-28-2016, 03:13 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you go the target tune option, it opens an entire new world of capability and versatility. Personally, if I was to start over with a new bike, that is the direction I would go.

EDIT: I removed the sales portion of this post.

-Wiz

Old 04-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by slowride2016
So I've spent the past few hours reading through a lot of the posts regarding selecting a tuner. Here's what I have gathered so far:

Street Tuner - Waste of time and money. Only tunes for street/EPA legal settings.
FP3 - Easy to use but limited on tuning ability once you get to a certain point.
PowerVision - FP3 with mountable screen with more tuning ability.
Super Tuner Pro - More advanced capabilities than the previous tuners but not very user friendly. Excellent for more advance builds and tunes including data logging.
TTS - Comparable to Super Tuner Pro as far as capabilities but much more user friendly.

I could be totally off on these but that seems to be the general consenses that I have read so far. Some of the post are a few years old so the data might be outdated now...

Since I don't plan on getting into any major engine mods for a few years, I think I'll start with the FP3 and move up to the Super Tuner/TTS Unit when the need arises.
If you think you will eventually go the TTS or ST route why not go that route now? It'll save money in the long run, and you can get familiar with the features now and it'll make it easier when you do bigger mods.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:31 PM
slowride2016
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
If you think you will eventually go the TTS or ST route why not go that route now? It'll save money in the long run, and you can get familiar with the features now and it'll make it easier when you do bigger mods.
I see the logic in your question but... When I eventually upgrade to something beyond a Stage 1 upgrade, I'll want to have a dyno-tune performed. From my limited knowledge, most people have a preferred tuner that they are more skilled at using. In that case, I'll go with the tuner that the person tuning my bike prefers.

I'm not worried about learning how to use the tuner myself. I'm a quick study and have already used the ST software on my previous bike. I work with computers all day and can learn the software when the time comes.

Can the TTS or ST units perform the simple tuning that I need now? Absolutely! But then I have to find a skilled tuner that is comfortable with the tuner I selected. I know good dyno-tuners are hard to find as it is. I don't want to limit my options when that time comes.

Maybe I'm over thinking this but that's usually how I make the worst decisions...

Old 04-28-2016, 04:59 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
it opens an entire new world of capability and versatility.

Bold statement for a device made to maintain a tune only.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:16 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Bold statement for a device made to maintain a tune only.

I would have to agree. I also agree with the OP...

I'll go with the tuner that the person tuning my bike prefers.
That's sound logic.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:24 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Other than the TTS MAP/Tooth read routine, what can a TTS do that DJ can't? Keep in mind that 99% of the end users do not own a $60000 dyno so the dyno owner unique features are moot for most end users.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
Other than the TTS MAP/Tooth read routine, what can a TTS do that DJ can't? Keep in mind that 99% of the end users do not own a $60000 dyno so the dyno owner unique features are moot for most end users.
You've either never used TTS or your evaluation of it is based on your dislike of Steve Cole.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:52 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,036 Likes on 1,104 Posts

I removed from site a few posts last night then closed this thread.

After sleeping on it I discovered I am becoming something that I totally disagree with and don't want to be. That would be a glorified Hall Monitor.

For well over a year I have been asked by many to provide a place where moderation is lean, that would be the Tuners Clubhouse. There is little to no moderation there but you must be a HDF Riders Club Member to see it. Here in the Dyno Room there must be moderation because it is open to public eyes. With that being said I put the posts back where they were and reopened this thread in an effort to do less moderation.

You are all grownups and I trust you will respect others using this forum and move arguments either to the Tuners Clubhouse or PM's. Also remember that there are varying styles of chat/type. Some personalities gleam while others look like they are cold and harsh then taken as being combative. Giving others the benefit of the doubt may be a good habit.

There are old sayings when working behind the scenes of talk sites... "Less is More" and "Let'm talk". In most cases the membership will correct a wavering thread so leave it the heck alone and trust they will. I'll do my best to do just that.

This is a virgin forum that took a lot of discussions/promises and hard work to put together. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Quick Reply: Other Devices: Plug and Play tuner?