The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: Plug and Play tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:25 PM
slowride2016
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plug and Play tuner?

Looking for a few opinions on tuners. I know this is a highly discussed matter and everyone has their own thoughts regarding them. But the only experience I have is with the SE Pro super tuner. And even then I simply loaded a few custom maps onto my V-rod but the auto tune feature doesn't work on them. Luckily there are several highly skilled tuners on the 1130cc forums that help me out back then.

Now that I have a "normal" Harley again, I'm looking for another tuner. The V-rod already had a Stage 1 upgrade installed when I bought it and it came with the Super Tuner. The only thing I had to buy were the cables and download the software so I didn't really shop around for other options.

I won't be changing much more than the usually A/C and pipes for a few years on my new Breakout. I know the Super tuner can load a stage 1 tune and get things running smoothly but the FP3's auto tune feature looks interesting. I can't find much information regarding the Super Tuner's auto tune option but I know it would require a laptop to read the data and you are limited on the ride time per recording. The FP3 doesn't appear to have these limitations.

If my mods progress beyond bolt on options, I will obviously want to have it Dyno tuned so the tuner needs to be able to handle that as well. Is there any real advantage to getting the Super Tuner over the FP3? Are there certain things that can't be adjust on the FP3 that the Super Tuner can?

There isn't much difference in price since I have the cables and software from my V-rod already installed on my laptop. Initially I wouldn't have hesitated in purchasing the Super Tuner again but a few people have suggested I check out the FP3 first. There is only so much you can learn from watching YouTube videos, so I wanted some real users opinions.

I have narrowed my selection down to these two systems because they do not require permanent installation on the bike. I would rather have a unit that flashes the ECM then is removed until needed again. I know this negates the on phone display option of the FP3 but I'm not interested in tracking my fuel mileage or having any other devices mounted to my handlebars.

So I'm looking for an easy to use tuner that can also perform complex tunes for future upgrades and doesn't require installing anything extra on my bike. Is there really such an option?

Old 04-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by slowride2016
Looking for a few opinions on tuners. I know this is a highly discussed matter and everyone has their own thoughts regarding them. But the only experience I have is with the SE Pro super tuner. And even then I simply loaded a few custom maps onto my V-rod but the auto tune feature doesn't work on them. Luckily there are several highly skilled tuners on the 1130cc forums that help me out back then.

Now that I have a "normal" Harley again, I'm looking for another tuner. The V-rod already had a Stage 1 upgrade installed when I bought it and it came with the Super Tuner. The only thing I had to buy were the cables and download the software so I didn't really shop around for other options.

I won't be changing much more than the usually A/C and pipes for a few years on my new Breakout. I know the Super tuner can load a stage 1 tune and get things running smoothly but the FP3's auto tune feature looks interesting. I can't find much information regarding the Super Tuner's auto tune option but I know it would require a laptop to read the data and you are limited on the ride time per recording. The FP3 doesn't appear to have these limitations.

If my mods progress beyond bolt on options, I will obviously want to have it Dyno tuned so the tuner needs to be able to handle that as well. Is there any real advantage to getting the Super Tuner over the FP3? Are there certain things that can't be adjust on the FP3 that the Super Tuner can?

There isn't much difference in price since I have the cables and software from my V-rod already installed on my laptop. Initially I wouldn't have hesitated in purchasing the Super Tuner again but a few people have suggested I check out the FP3 first. There is only so much you can learn from watching YouTube videos, so I wanted some real users opinions.

I have narrowed my selection down to these two systems because they do not require permanent installation on the bike. I would rather have a unit that flashes the ECM then is removed until needed again. I know this negates the on phone display option of the FP3 but I'm not interested in tracking my fuel mileage or having any other devices mounted to my handlebars.

So I'm looking for an easy to use tuner that can also perform complex tunes for future upgrades and doesn't require installing anything extra on my bike. Is there really such an option?

I can help you choose a tuning device. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:53 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

The old cable you have for your Vrod. Is it a 6pin connector? I don't know if that is really a deciding factor but......

Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
I can help you choose a tuning device. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Sorry Chad... no sales are allowed in this area.

I edited your post so you can be contacted via PM. Thanks for taking care of him.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

I cant help you as im in a similar boat with just buying a brand new 2016 Fatboy. Ive been reading up on all the tunners since there are some new ones out there and so far im really liking the FP3. I think its perfect for the set up im looking to do. Im probably going with Arlen Ness inverted air cleaner deep cut matched with either Bassani firsweep or something similar exhaust . Or i might just do Rush 2.25 slip ons. Still deciding. But it looks like the FP3 would be perfect for my needs.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:32 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

I edited your post so you can be contacted via PM. Thanks for taking care of him.

Thanks

No problem and thanks for keeping this section this way, but I think you might be mixing Chad and I up.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:48 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Yes, I am...

Saw your pin on the locator....

Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard

Thanks
LOL Sorry man

Old 04-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
LOL Sorry man

Get with the program sir!

Click here and put your pin in

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...p-locator.html

Old 04-27-2016, 06:03 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

FWIW I have an FP3 that I got to do my stage 1 after the 1000 miles. At the start of last year I put a new cam in and struggled finding a good base map that would dial in nicely.

This year I bought a Power Vision.

The most important thing I noticed is that autotuning is so much faster with the PV, the cells are easy to see and easy to hit (you're not looking at the display while you are riding of course )

I also really like that you can change settings for what the autotune process will either take or ignore

I REALLY like that you can take the PV off the bike and hook it up to your computer and check/edit your tunes ...watching some dials on your mobile phone is one thing but editing and/or copying other peoples suggestions etc is a right royal pain in the wotzit doing it manually cell by cell.

I'm scared to bring up cams again but FP3 has a setting you can change, PV you can email Dynojet ...what those settings do is a bit of a debate.

(edit) I nearly forgot, FP3 doesn't do logs ...which I'm finding out is something of an essential for anything other than basic tuning, knock events in timing tables for example

All I can say is I'm getting on great with the PV

Last edited by Gordon61; 04-27-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Other Devices: Plug and Play tuner?