The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Newbie needs advice on heavy breather/tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 PM
123ozzie
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Newbie needs advice on heavy breather/tuner

I have a 2010 Road Glide (first bike) and was given a HD heavy breather as a bday gift. When I called the dealership to have it installed, I was told I needed a tuner ($450) and a dyno ($300). Should I buy the tuner from the dealership or are there better ones out there. Like I said, this is my first bike and still learning, so any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any responses!

Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 PM
123ozzie
Cruiser

Also, in layman's terms, what is the purpose/function of the tuner and dyno?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:11 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,451 Likes on 1,599 Posts

"Also, in layman's terms, what is the purpose/function of the tuner and dyno?"

The HB allows more air to flow through the engine. The system will then need more fuel to keep AFR ( Air Fuel Ratio) within normal limits. The tuning device ( aka tuner) allows the motorcycles computer to be recalibrated for the increased airflow. They dyno (and dyno operator) allows for testing of the motorcycle in a safe controlled environment. Bikes can be run from idle to 150MPH without fear of tickets (or pedestrians).
My personal favorite tuner is Mastertune by TTS. It allows for simple stage 1 upgrades (air cleaner, pipes) to complete crate motors (huge bore big cam race stuff) and everything in between.
The best tool is nothing more than a common hammer in the wrong hands, breaking more things than fixing. A common pocket knife can be a surgeons scalpel in the right hands. Talk to local riders and see who they recommend for independant shops.
Talk to the local indy to compare what the dealer said, vs what they feel is needed for your bike, and before purchasing anything, check back here- lots of good advice, and hopefully we can steer you in the right direction.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:05 PM
123ozzie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
"Also, in layman's terms, what is the purpose/function of the tuner and dyno?"

The HB allows more air to flow through the engine. The system will then need more fuel to keep AFR ( Air Fuel Ratio) within normal limits. The tuning device ( aka tuner) allows the motorcycles computer to be recalibrated for the increased airflow. They dyno (and dyno operator) allows for testing of the motorcycle in a safe controlled environment. Bikes can be run from idle to 150MPH without fear of tickets (or pedestrians).
My personal favorite tuner is Mastertune by TTS. It allows for simple stage 1 upgrades (air cleaner, pipes) to complete crate motors (huge bore big cam race stuff) and everything in between.
The best tool is nothing more than a common hammer in the wrong hands, breaking more things than fixing. A common pocket knife can be a surgeons scalpel in the right hands. Talk to local riders and see who they recommend for independant shops.
Talk to the local indy to compare what the dealer said, vs what they feel is needed for your bike, and before purchasing anything, check back here- lots of good advice, and hopefully we can steer you in the right direction.
Good advice, thanks