"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Looking for a bigger bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Looking for a bigger bike

Almost 30,000 miles on my sportster, but I am beginning to want something more comfortable for those 500 mile burger runs and my trips to the mountains.

Not sure if I want a heritage, road king, or one of the glides. I plan on renting one of each over the next month or so just so I can experience how they feel.

I plan on keeping my sporty, but will be getting a bigger bike. I am leaning towards an ultra, but not sure.

What do you think is the better bike to move up to?

Old 04-09-2016, 06:18 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

They are all good, each having Pro's and cons. Just rent, ride, decide.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:57 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Obvious stuff like height, weight, length of your legs, 2 up or solo, budget come into play.

When you test ride a bike don't just take it out for a short ride, maybe try to rent for a weekend and use the bike how you'd intend to use it.

Good luck and keep us in the picture.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

One thing you shouldn't underestimate is the utility of the Tour Pack. When I had a Vulcan 750, I thought they looked unwieldy and unnecessary. I bought an Ultra so my wife could ride two up.

It is surprising how much more riding you can do when you have enough room to pick up groceries, hardware etc.. I know they aren't "cool" anymore, but you can buy a Classic or UltraClassic for less than the more popular Street Glide.

You don't need the space that I do to carry the Jacket/Glove changes form 40-80 degree days, but I bet you need Rain Gear in Florida.

Once you get used to the weight and learn how to panic brake properly, they are much more nimble than you would think.

Good Luck.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
They are all good, each having Pro's and cons. Just rent, ride, decide.
Good advice, Thanx!

Originally Posted by uklauren
Obvious stuff like height, weight, length of your legs, 2 up or solo, budget come into play.

When you test ride a bike don't just take it out for a short ride, maybe try to rent for a weekend and use the bike how you'd intend to use it.

Good luck and keep us in the picture.
Some more good advice, Thanx! And, I will have you in the pix when we go for a ride!

Originally Posted by Ron750
One thing you shouldn't underestimate is the utility of the Tour Pack. When I had a Vulcan 750, I thought they looked unwieldy and unnecessary. I bought an Ultra so my wife could ride two up.

It is surprising how much more riding you can do when you have enough room to pick up groceries, hardware etc.. I know they aren't "cool" anymore, but you can buy a Classic or UltraClassic for less than the more popular Street Glide.

You don't need the space that I do to carry the Jacket/Glove changes form 40-80 degree days, but I bet you need Rain Gear in Florida.

Once you get used to the weight and learn how to panic brake properly, they are much more nimble than you would think.

Good Luck.
The ultras do look big and hard to ride, but more storage for motorcycle camping!

Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 AM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm partial to the Ultra... it gives you the storage needed for touring and as you mentioned camping gear...You will have your sporty to till ride so you will have the best of both worlds.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by crump13
I'm partial to the Ultra... it gives you the storage needed for touring and as you mentioned camping gear...You will have your sporty to till ride so you will have the best of both worlds.
I have heard a lot of ultra owners who used to have a sporty say they wish they still had theirs. I don't know if it was just nostalgia or what, but I am keeping mine until I realize if I am riding it or not.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default If I had my druthers...

I've given this a lot of thought, and if $20k fell into my lap, I'd get a Road Glide Ultra, and change the seat to a solo seat, get the detachable rack for the tour pack for solo riders, and go from there. But that's just me.

I think HD misses the boat by not offering solo touring packages as an option in their touring models, but they probably pick up those sales with the Street Glides/Street Glide Specials and Road Glide/Road Glide Specials. After all, popular cars come in 2-door and 4-door models, right?

Old 04-10-2016, 03:38 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

All depending what you want to do etc, but if I was riding solo and wanted a bike to travel as far as I cared to, and still be able to pack to be comfortable, I would get a RoadGlide.
I have a Road Glide Ultra (2013), but if I was riding solo, I would ditch the tour pack.
I would not need the rear speakers or CB radio. You could always add a rack or a sissy bar to hold a duffle. If you are test riding a NEW bike, don't compare it to a used bike you might buy. Good luck with the shopping!

Old 04-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by themensh
... but if I was riding solo, I would ditch the tour pack.
... Good luck with the shopping!
If I do get an ultra, I was going to remove the tour pack. I would only put it back on when going on long trips and needed the storage.

Thanx!

Quick Reply: Looking for a bigger bike